iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

websites for timber frame tools

Started by Pineneedle, December 24, 2008, 01:25:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pineneedle

I'm just getting started in timber framing and am looking for good websites for tools.  Anyone have any suggestions?  Also what would you consider to be the first tools I should invest in?
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD33-RA
with Accuset & 33HP Kubota diesel

Radar67

Welcome to the forum, you will enjoy it here.

Right here is a good place to start. Our resident expert, Jim, sells tools. Check them out here.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,3531.0.html

He always has some good quality tools available.
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

Dave Shepard

Jim Rogers has a great selection of tools. I've seen them many times, and even have a few of them. ;D I'd start by reading this thread. You will need basic carpentry tools, as well as some specialty tools, such as chisels and slicks. I prefer boring machines to power drills, and a good boring machine doesn't cost any more than a good power drill. I've a HoleHawg, but it is so aggressive, it must be stopped well before the bottom of the hole, as it keeps chewing for a few seconds after you stop pressing the trigger. :D

This is the place to ask questions and tell us about your project. :) Oh, welcome to the Forum!
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

moonhill

HoleHawgs must be murder on the operator.  I have never tried the electric drill mortising method. 

I would say the first tool to invest in is knowledge of the craft, which is gained by study and hands on work.  Don't hold back get out there and do it, make some mistakes and have a ball. 

Tim
This is a test, please stand by...

Dave Shepard

I don't like the HoleHawg method myself. A boring machine lines everything up nice and plumb, and allows you enough time to see what's going on. An electric drill might pop a hole in quickly, but maybe not nearly as accurately.

One important set of tools for timber framing, or any woodworking, is sharpening stones. Many people use some sort of powered apparatus for that, but I don't have much experience with those. I personally use a DMT 4"x10" diamond stone, and a true ceramic honing stone, or an 8000 grit water stone for final hone. Norton makes a really nice water stone set that is fairly reasonable, and is supposed to hold up well. There are also systems that use adhesive backed, or wet sandpaper that work very well. If you've ever tried to use a dull chisel or handsaw, you may very well wonder how you could ever cut wood with them but when they are sharp, they are a true pleasure to use. Buying sharpening tools can be a bit overwhelming, but you really don't need as much as you might think.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

witterbound

http://www.timberwolftools.com/

is a good site for timber frame power tools that you can't find in your local hardware store. 

Mad Professor

I can vouch for Jim having good tools and being good to deal with.

For new hand tools you might try http://www.barrtools.com/

StorminN

I'll add a good word for Jim's business, too... I bought an old corner chisel from him... everything was as advertised, and the chisel was SHARP... ready to use... I think he said it's his partner in the tool business that does the sharpening / honing? Made me very happy, and I'll be buying more tools from them in the future.

-N.
Happiness... is a sharp saw.

Jim_Rogers

Thanks Guys for all your kind words about our tools.

The for sale list is about to be updated, and maybe even the picture gallery.....

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Pineneedle

Santa was very good to me.  He left me a slick, 2 chisels (1.5" & 2") and a wooden mallet.  I got busy and made a set of ponies, thanks to Jim's plans, and think they came out good for my first timber frame project. 8)  From making these ponies I think the next tool I would find useful is a corner chisel.  Any recommendations on what size?
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD33-RA

Dave Shepard

DanG that was quick! Only a day for a set of ponies? It took me longer than that just to decide what kind of ponies I wanted. ;) Most corner chisels are around an inch. As long as it's a big timber framing type corner chisel it should be fine. The only other style I've seen are little 3/8" ones for cabinetry.

Pineneedle

I already had 6x6's milled out and I found Santa's presents under the tree at 4 a.m. when I got up.  I finished them late this afternoon so really it was 2 days.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD33-RA

moonhill

The 1" corner chisel is for 2" mortices and the 3/4" is for 1-1/2" mortices.  I use the 3/4" for both.  Barr and I assume Jim have them. 

Tim
This is a test, please stand by...

Jim_Rogers

The tools for sale list was updated yesterday.
I'm working on updating the photo gallery now....
There are some corner chisels on the list.....

Jim
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Thank You Sponsors!