iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawing size to make trim

Started by jdtuttle, December 23, 2008, 11:42:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jdtuttle

Looking for advice on best way to saw for moulding. I don't have an edger or straight line rip saw & was wondering if it would be better to saw my lumber straight off the saw mill close to the finished size, (2 1/2" x 1 1/8" for casing), or should I saw for wide boards & resaw later. I know it will shrink & move when drying. I use mostly poplar, oak & pine.
Thanks,
Jim   
Have a great day

flip

Can't recall where I read it but most finish process figure in 20-30% waste.  I would saw, dry, rip.  Leave 'em wide and long :)
Timberking B-20, Hydraulics make me board quick

Tom Sawyer

york

Albert

woodmills1

Saw your logs as you can and then dry.  Put the boards back on the mill and rip them to the sizes you need plus some, maybe a quarter or half inch.  Pass the newly cut edge through the jointer then rip to finished dimention.  The re-rip on the mill will make for a nice edge for the jointer.

If you do some planning you can use most of the pieces from the re-rip.  Like  4"baseboard, 3 1/2" casing and a 2" chair rail.  That way you won't be left with a lot of narrow stock that will hang around.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

jdtuttle

Thanks guys, That's what I'll do.
Have a Merry Christmas
Jim
Have a great day

Thank You Sponsors!