iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stihl 029 cutting-out

Started by tstex, December 23, 2008, 07:51:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tstex

Guys,

First post.  It was suggested I contact you for chainsaw ques.

Have an 029 Farm Boss.  Purchased about 7 yrs ago new.  Has run very well up to the last 2-3 times i used it in the last 2 months.

It would run well, then once turned off to do some between cutting work, and would not start back up, then I would use the 023.

Last time, it actually died right after a cut while in idle...finished with the 023, which i have had for 10+ yrs, both treated the same [same fuel, mixture, maintenance and storage]...use reg gas, either stihl or echo fuel mixtures.  My usage is only on the weekends when chain saw work is required...how often is sporadic at best.  My place is west of Houston about 60 miles.

Let me know if you have any questions.  Thank you inadvance for your help.  Hope all of you and your families have a safe, healthy Merry Christmas.

Tstex

PS - is there a rebuild kit for the carb on this model?  Also, are there other general main parts you would suggest I replace for this make/model/age? 

joe_indi

Welcome tstex , and a Merry Christmas to you and yours.

Check the color of the deposit on the spark plug.If it is sooty or black the saw is running rich for some reason.
If the deposit is light gray or white its running lean.
Both these extremes could cause running problems.
In case it is running rich, common causes would be a L and/or  H screw needing a leaner adjustment, a leaking metering needle or a blocked air filter.
The leaning out could be due to a L and/or H screw needing a richeradjustment,a blocked pickup body,blocked strainer in the carb, loose screws on the engine pan, worn seals, damaged impulse hose or a carb that  needs an overhaul badly.
Yes there is a carburator service kit available the part number is 1127 007 1062.It contains an inlet needle, spring for the needle, the pump and metering diaphragms and their gaskets.
But I suggest that you buy a carb service kit of the 046/MS460 Part No.1128 007 1066. It contains more stuff and they all are common for the carb on the 029.

Hope this helps.

Joe

pineywoods

tstex I have an 029 farm boss that developed the exact same problem.  Let it sit for several hours and it would start and run fine. Don't make any sense but a new spark plug cured the problem...
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

MartyParsons

My best guess would be that a unit this old & has not had the fuel line replaced & has a cracked line were is comes out of the tank & makes the bent to up to the carb. Hose part # 1127 358 7702    Also the impulse hose could be cracked as well # 1127 141 8600.  Be sure to check the fuel filter for any blockage replace if needed .  If you would need a carb kit use # 0000 007 1074 it cost less & has more in it.  Before you do any thing do the rope drop test any stihl unit with  the decompression valve pulled out pick up the unit by the starter handle the saw should hang in there for a few seconds & than drop down an hold again for a few seconds & do that untill it comes to the end of the rope. If it drop fast you have a scored piston & cylinder & unit is not worth repairing. If you think the piston is damaged put the muffler & look for damage 

Good luck
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

Weekend_Sawyer

I have a Farm Boss with the similar problems. Once it gets warm it will not run at idle. I started with new fuel, chenged the plug, then rebuilt the carb, my next thing to do is replace the fuel lines like Marty suggested.

A buddy of mine has the same saw, dveloped the same problem and replacing the fuel lines fixed it.

Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Thank You Sponsors!