iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Big Bug

Started by Bibbyman, August 01, 2001, 07:54:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bibbyman

This bug is really bugging me.  We've seen a number of them around the loglot the last couple of weeks. :-/

Anyone know what it is?  :P

This picture is the best I've got but you got nothing to judge the size.  It's over an inch long and about a half inch wide.  The big "eyes" you see are spots on it's body.  Its head is hardly visible and no bigger than a BB.  It can fly and has wings under the hard shell on it's back half.  It's mostly silver or or white and black.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Don P

A click beetle? Try touching his back. Don't think they are bad guys.

Tom

The adult is harmless and feeds on nector.  Children and I like to play with them ;D.  It makes a long sawing day shorter.

The Larvae are Wire Worms.  The orange(ish) colored hard skinned worm you see in rotted wood or just under the bark of a log that has been down a pretty good while.  I've seen them in compost piles.

The book indicates a real problem with corn.
They are responsible for root damage in many plants.

Jeff

Thanks Bibbyman! We had one too and I did not get a pic. None of the guys at the mill had seen one before. Ours scared the snot out of me when it "snapped" in my hand. I looked all over the internet and could not find one. I should have known to come here first!
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Thank You Sponsors!