iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Quarter's scale (ponder this)

Started by Chuck White, December 22, 2008, 02:56:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chuck White

I've been wondering about this off & on for quite some time now.

But now I have to ask, How come there is a 4/4, 5/4, 6/4 & 8/4 scale, but no 7/4?

There has to be a reason......or maybe I'm just overlooking the obvious!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

ARKANSAWYER

Because there is not much use for wood that size.  You see 10/4, 12/4, 16/4 quite often.  After that they are timbers by inches, such as 5x5 post.  Most times when you hear the use of quarter scale they are talking about planks or boards.  In the stores you buy 2x4's that are 1 1/2 x 3 1/2" but you do not buy 8/4x4's.
  I get customers all the time asking for 4/4 lumber 2 inches thick.   ???  After some talking I come to understand they want quarter sawn 8/4 lumber
ARKANSAWYER

Ironwood

I sometimes mill 9/4 dining table tops. Just gives you a "little" extra to work with, although most people I deal with know I operate in my own little world anyhow ::), point being, you do what you want, it's YOUR world!

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Meadows Miller

Gday

Ironwood I do what i want and it gets me in trouble more often than not  ;) :D :D :D :D :D ;D Thanks for the reasurance that its My World Mate ;) :D ;D 8)

Reguards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

Thank You Sponsors!