iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Slammed shut

Started by bandmiller2, December 21, 2008, 10:25:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bandmiller2

Winter that is,12" on the ground 6" more this afternoon.I lost the battle to get a roof over the mill this winter.All I have now is this forum and shopwork.I don't have to make a living milling so no big deal,woodshed is full.Loaded an old arbor on the truck to make a stub shaft arbor to check the tension on headsaws.My old circle mill was an all weather operation,had a covered log brow that would hold several days of logs.We would cut logs and firewood until snow then would skid the logs out on the snow to keepem clean.Made a skidder for the back of an Oliver OC6 worked good for a small operation.Had to be carefull Olly was a narrow sidewalk crawler and tippy over stumps.Mayby we'll get a warm spell.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

logwalker

Can't count on anything this winter. We are even getting slammed out west. Joe
Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

timberfaller390

It was 60 degrees here all last week but it rained alot. Oh well, we're still slingin sawdust
L.M. Reese Co. Land Management Contractors
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

Firebass

About the same here. Only thing is we had 50mph winds last night to add to the fun.   I did get to go bust the road open this morning with my homemade skidder ;D  Highways closed and more on the way 8)

Firebase

beenthere

Firebass
I went looking for a pic of the home-made skidder....is there one? Would like to hear about it.  :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

StorminN

Same thing here... 10"-12" of snow the other day, followed by another couple of inches last night, up where my mill is.

Luckily, we didn't get the 40mph winds up there that we got down here on the bay where I live... I've got enough trees blown over already up there, I don't need any more...

-N.
Happiness... is a sharp saw.

Meadows Miller

Gday

brrrrrrr thats looking a little cold for Me  ;) :D :D :D Its about 70 f here and the suns shinning and the beers cold  ;) :D ;D sorry to here you didnt get time to throw a roof over the chase de lane Frank  ;) :( i need to get the 20' by 48' shed built up the road soon to keep thesun off me the hottest part of summers comming up preeety quick temp ranging from 85 to 110 f on the hot ones  :o

Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

Firebass

Chris,  14 deg Fahrenheit -10 Celsius we're having to keep our beer in the fridge just keep it from freezing.   :)
Snowed another 12" today were up to about 2' and it's not suppose to stop for a couple more days.  Not so much fun now. :o  Tomarrrow I get to go shovel off roofs.   In the past when this has happened then and a warming trend comes the snow thats on the roof is so cold it just sucks up the rain and doesn't drip off the roof making it heavier and heavier.    It did that for a week once when Ramona and I were sitting in our living room suddenly we heard something in the attic snap sounded like a truss break :o :o :o :o   I never did find what it was but many people lost there barns roofs shops and even houses that year.   Went over to a friends that lived in a older double wide trailer.  One of the  halfs roof collapsed and water was like a small creek running into his house.  NOT GOOD.  :( It wasn't even worth trying to cover it. :'(

Bandmiller2,
I'm going to try to keep the road open with my rig/ homemade skidder in the morning.  I'll take pictures and tell you more about it then.  I've been keeping the road open so far but it could be a loosing battle with tonights storm. :)

Good pics StorminN!

StorminN

Firebass,

Sounds like you're getting quite a bit more snow down there than up here... we're normally in the "rain shadow" of the Olympics for storms from the south / southwest, I guess this time it's the "snow shadow"  :D :D. It's snowing again here tonight, but only maybe and inch so far here at sea level... up where my mill is, it could be much more. So far it's been about 2" down here to 12" up there.

Now I really wish I had found time to put a roof over my mill this past summer... I was up there just the other day, milling for the first time in a long time, and the bottom edger shaft bearing let go...  >:( DanG it.

Now I need to take the mill apart to replace that bearing... but with the snow and such, I'm a bit less motivated to get out there and do it...

Meadows, why do you have to rub it in that it's summer down under?  :D

-Norm.

bandmiller2

This global warming is freezing my a$$ off.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

WH_Conley

7 degrees here now, got to put the beer next to the stove  :(
Bill

Burlkraft

-10° here this morning and I HAVE to git out and about. I sure wish Rhino could go out and start the truck  :D :D :D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

Todd

It 1° here now, but it was zero when I left the house so its more than double'd already!!!   (If someone sees Al Gore, punch him in the arm for me!  ;D)
Making somthing idiot-proof only leads to the creation of bigger idiots!

ladylake

-22 a hour ago, now it only -19.  Got the woodshop up to 50 right now.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

woodmills1

Well, just got over the ice then got 9 or 10 inces of snow friday and then at least a foot yesterday.  All of my vehicles need oil changes just from the move around to plow milage i put on them in 2 days. :D :D
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Firebass

Quote from: beenthere on December 21, 2008, 02:23:39 PM
Firebass
I went looking for a pic of the home-made skidder....is there one? Would like to hear about it.  :)
My Skidder:  This rig has a 454 Chevy motor and Toyota Land Crusier running gear.  I have  Engine mounted pto hydraulics but I havent got any impliments built yet like the blade or grapple. It would sure be nice to have it now.   For snow I put it in 3rd gear High Range and get the tire spinning just slightly.  So far I've got out our road 1/2 mile with 2' plus but it's getting a little hairy now.  Wont quit snowing so it's time to knock the snow off the bbq and make snow marqarita's ;D

beenthere

That's cool   8) 8)

Even looks like fun.  ;D ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

beenthere

Quote from: StorminN on December 22, 2008, 01:53:35 AM

Now I need to take the mill apart to replace that bearing... but with the snow and such, I'm a bit less motivated to get out there and do it...
-Norm.

Looks like a perfect place for your RustReaper on those nuts holding the bearing block.  ;D
RR likes that stuff holdin them tight like that. ;D

Is that bearing situated so it is a rain/moisture catcher??
south central Wisconsin

olyman

rbhunter

The global warming people have things covered. They say that with global warming the pollution may build up enough to filter out sunlight therefore causing temperatures to cool down.

They cannot lose now. If it gets hotter than it is because of the hole in the ozone and if it gets cooler than it is because of the pullution in the air filtering out the sunlight keeping it from heating the ground providing warmer temperatures.
"Said the robin to the sparrow, I wonder why it must be, these anxious human beings rush around and worry so?"
"Said the sparrow to the robin, Friend I think it must be, they have no heavenly father, such as cares for you and me."
author unknown. Used to hang above parents fireplace.

Ironwood

Well, this is nothing compared to some of you guys, we had 3*  and 30+ mph winds the other morning. I had been waiting for the drive to freeze so I could haul in the rest of 300,000 pounds of concrete 4' x 4' blocks for various projects (sawmill surround and roof, and for a foundation for my cantilevered lumber racks) w/ out tearing up the 3/4 mile long gravel drive. I was up at 4 am getting all my diesel engines going (torpedo heaters, and plugged in all night as well) fluids just HATE it when it is that cold. I dont know how you northern nieghbors do it, God bless you. Finally got all the blocks here (60+ total) , 2 miles from home, towbarred my big forklift to the site. Best part $10 each  ;D That's cheaper than concrete! Hauled one on the truck bed and 2 on the trailer. LOTS of trips.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

StorminN

Quote from: beenthere on December 22, 2008, 06:49:18 PM
Looks like a perfect place for your RustReaper on those nuts holding the bearing block.  ;D
RR likes that stuff holdin them tight like that. ;D

Is that bearing situated so it is a rain/moisture catcher??

beenthere,

You're right, that is a good place for some RustReaper... though I did just have those bolts out last year. That bearing is not really situated as a rain / moisture catcher, it's below the motor and steel carriage on the mill:

and when I'm not using the mill, it's covered with a tarp... but yes, a roof would be better.

-N.

Ironwood

I will post some pics as I build my "roof" over my small mill (23' Norwood LM2000). My plan is to build a three sided wall with the 4' x 4'  "blocks" 2 high at the rear. I will then rest a flat bar joist roof assembly which is movable via forklift. The decking will be galvanized concrete decking (as it is the most durable metal roof for long unsupported runs) 15' long by 30'. This seems to be my best option for a temporary roof over the mill that can be somewhat movable as my plans evolve. The only thing I will likely do is have an electric powered dust blower to remove the dust so as to not be burdened by breathing it OR having to remove it via shovel or FEL. The blocks will also serve to hold the BIG roof down in high winds. 100,000 lbs of blocks should hold'er down just fine ;)

Got the roofing, bar joists, blocks, now just need the time to assemble it all

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

379hammerdown

I don't see how you guys can stand that COLD!!!! I'm miserable when the temperature is below 45F.... I'm cold just from looking at those snow covered mills & logs! Yep... I dont think I'd last very long up there with you guys!  :D

Woodwalker

I thought it had cooled off enough around here to do a little work with the mill. Started out this morning in a jacket on, ended up in just a "T" shirt and sweating.
If it makes Ya'll feel better, I did put a long sleeve shirt on around dark this evening.
Just cause your head's pointed, don't mean you are sharp.

Thank You Sponsors!