iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cherry Price

Started by Steve_M, July 18, 2003, 11:38:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve_M

I have 500-600 ft od 4/4 Cherry that I cut last summer from some free logs 8) that were small and average at best :(.  I had intended to keep this for my own use, but I have been asked to price it.  Could someone throw me a ballpark price/bf.  

I was thinking around $1.25. I havn't sold any Cherry before and don't want to give it away.

Steve

2001 WM Super LT40 Electric and WM Twin Blade Edger, just a part timer custom sawing and cutting salvage logs.

Ron Wenrich

Let's see.  Kiln dried FAS cherry is right around $3-$3.35/bf for trailerload lots.  Green is $2.67/bf.  Trailerload lots get a price reduction over the little guys.  High grade logs are running over $2/bf.

$1.25 seems pretty low to me.  A lot depends on how nice it is.  Is there a lot of defect or gum streak?  

If it is log run, you could double that price and it would still be fair.  

Your log price has nothing to do with the lumber value.  That is just part of the ignorance tax that you collected.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

oakiemac

Ron,
Is there a website or somewhere to look for current lumber prices? I know it varys by region but just to get ball park figures.
Mobile Demension sawmill, Bobcat 873 loader, 3 dry kilns and a long "to do" list.

Ron Wenrich

Okay, I cheated a little bit.  Go over to Hardwood Review.  http://www.hardwoodreview.com/  They have a banner that is meant to get you interested in their services.  They give the current value of some of the hardwoods.  You might have to fudge a little for your area.  But, remember that these are wholesale prices.

For log prices, I use this site:  http://www.wightmanlumber.com/logprices.htm  It shows what one buyer in NY is willing to pay for logs.  Those prices vary by area and by competition.  

A fair market price is what a willing buyer will pay a willing seller.  If you are satisfied with 1/2 the value, then its a fair price.  
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Thank You Sponsors!