iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Maybe a dumb question....

Started by Todd, December 19, 2008, 10:29:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Todd

This might be fairly obvious, but I'm not sure of the answer.  A local park removed a ton of Ash logs due to EAB and I got them in return for doing some milling for them.  They just sent me a list of lumber for their post and beam building and I'm not sure if the posts (4x6x14') need to have the heart in them.  I know larger posts and ties always have the heart, so before I cut I figured I'd ask here.
Thanks,
Todd
Making somthing idiot-proof only leads to the creation of bigger idiots!

Dave Shepard

They probably don't have to be boxed heart, might be an advantage actually. The ash I've sawn moved around quite a bit. You'll get more parts if you don't box, and probably less checking.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

moonhill

How big are the logs, diameter at the top?  If You can only get two sticks out of one log and you have an excess  of logs, the boxed heart may be more stable, less bowing, shoot for the one stick/log.  If they are larger and you can get four sticks free of pith than why not, even then I would be be aware of the bow, unless these are really sweet logs.  Any large knots?

Where are they to be used in the frame?  A 4x6 isn't much of a post, more like a stud.  Is wayne acceptable, and how much?  Is the client concerned with the checking?  Are they going to be used fresh or is this a long term project where the stock will sit and dry for a few years?

My simple answer would be get what you can out of them and cull the undesirables, chop them into shorter stock at the time of building.

Tim
This is a test, please stand by...

Brad_bb

Yeah, you need to know their purpose.  If you are giving them green wood, do they know that they should be assembled into the structure right away so as they dry they are held in position?  If they are not doing that, and they are looking for stable wood, then you probably need to air dry them stacked and stickered with some weight on top and see how they come out over time, resaw if need be or cull as need be.  Do they understand they would be getting rough cut wood?  If they are not knowledgeable, they may be expecting a S4S finish in their mind.  All terms that need to be understood by the customer, eh?
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Jim_Rogers

Normally, boxed heart timber don't start until both dimensions are above 5" as the NDS book starts with timbers at 5x5".

However, I have boxed heart 4x6 depending on the use, as mentioned.

One good way to get additional timbers and boxed heart timbers was written up by me in the thread called "Boxed heart or not".....

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,4247.0.html

I still use the clock face layout process to make the most stable timbers I can.....

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Todd

Thanks for all the replies.   I will be giving them green wood, and these 4x6x14' pieces are going to be posts.  They want them cut to nominal sizes, and it seems to me that they ought to have larger diameter posts for 14 foot tall post, but it's taken me a year to get them to understand that they can't just stick frame with the Ash, so I'm not up for the discussion about their design; I just want to give them the best product I can.  They will be using Simpson type steel connectors (no real joinery at all) and I haven't seen a design, just a shopping list:

All sizes nominal

9  - 4"x6"x14'      Posts
20 - 2"x12"x16'   Beams (can be 8' and double order)
62 - 2"x8"x8'       Joists
1360 Lineal ft.       5/4x6"  Decking

I figured those of you with more intellect than I could discern what the design is going to be from the lumber order.

Log sizes (diameters) are from 14" to over 28", so I can choose whatever I want to take the stock from.  My only real concern is the 16' length since I had my mill set up for city logs, and the fence arms on my Baker are only 6 feet apart.  I can put a 20 footer on the mill, but there is alot of unrestrained log out there.

Making somthing idiot-proof only leads to the creation of bigger idiots!

Thank You Sponsors!