iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Another red cedar question

Started by Ron Wenrich, December 18, 2008, 05:23:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Wenrich

I just got my old VW fixed up, and the mechanic said that I should spread some moth balls around the car to keep the mice out of the car.

That got me to thinking.  Red cedar keeps moths out of clothing, just like moth balls.  So, would I be able to keep mice out by spreading red cedar shavings?  Or am I just giving the mice some real nice bedding material?   :D
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Jeff

We'll need a picture to be able to answer.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

johnjbc

I don't know about the cedar keeping mice out but I have some experience with mothballs. Our camp which is an old house trailer was infested with mice. After the Black Snake moved in to feed on them and went to sleep in my wife's sleeping bag  :D she was bound to do something  bat_smailey. Someone told her that mothballs would get rid of the mice so she bought a couple boxes and put them everywhere, in the closets, drawers under the couch cushions, bed, and anywhere else she could find. The next trip up when I opened the door the smell almost knocked me down, but we still had mice. We haven't had any more snakes so I guess the mothball did something.
LT40HDG24, Case VAC, Kubota L48, Case 580B, Cat 977H, Bobcat 773

Ron Wenrich

Quote from: Jeff on December 18, 2008, 05:25:01 PM
We'll need a picture to be able to answer.

Of the car or of the mice?

Jeff

bmill

Go buy those things my wife throws in the dryer, those little square cloth like things (dryer sheets?). We use them every winter in our outbuilding and you won't get a mouse, snake or anything near them. Works like a champ and completely safe.
1 - 1 - 2 - 3 - 5 - 8 - 13 - 21 - 34 - 55 - 89 - 144 - 233 - 377 - 610 - 987 - 1597 - 2584    Kubota L3400, Loader, Backhoe, 3 point tiller, Stihl MS 390, Very hard working wife!

okmulch

Well from my experience with my and cedar is they do not mind it at all. The mice will use the bark to build nests and put these nest in between layers of boards that have been stickered to air dry.
I also see mice in the fields I clean up making homes in the cedar trees on the ground.
Pets stores sell cedar shavings for mice and hamsters.
So what I am saying is mice seem to like cedar. :D
Rotochopper b66 track, #2 Rotochopper b66 track, woodmizer lt40, CAT 277b, CAT 268b, CAT 287c, CAT 277c, CAT299d2, CAT299d3, CAT 299d3, Volvo 70e,volvo70f, volvo90f

pigman

Yes, you should put the ERC in the car. The animal rights people will be real happy that you are furnishing a good bedding material for the mice. 8) ;D
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Don_Papenburg

The proper  thing for a Forestry Forum member to do is get the green pine sented "little trees" air freshners for your car .  We use them in the combine cabs every year . The mice tend to stay away from the pine sented trees.   Put in two or three of them for a start then youy can use less after the mice have vacated the Vdub
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

Ron Wenrich

Not your typical bug convertible, since it has suicide doors and a chopped top.  I had an engine fire and converted over to the dual carbs.  Figured I might as well go all out and get the thing road worthy.  I got the chrome done, some body work, they rewired it and fixed the brakes up.  I think I was the mechanics economic stimulus for November.   :D   There's no windows or heat, so its mainly a summer driver.

Here's what the bug looks like:

Jeff

pigman

:o 8) I had a  68 Beetle back in 71 , but it didn't look like that.

SwampDonkey

That's a great looking car Ron. I always like to see those bugs on the road. I guess too much Walt Disney as a kid. :D Those style are sure rare to see now.  8)

Now where you hiding the " Peace and Love" van?  :D :D :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Jeff

Does it live in that little building?

woody1

Holy COW !! Where ya gonna haul the blades...road trip.
If you don't want to row, get out of the boat !

Banjo picker

Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

OneWithWood

Ron, great looking car.  Low rider VW  8)

We need a pic with you behind the wheel for sure  ;)
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

mike_van

I always understood that cedar kept moths out, never heard of mice not liking it? 
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

beenthere

And one does some research, he finds out that cedar doesn't really keep the moths out. It has been a myth, from what I have read. But one I'm not sure I believe.
One such refute:
http://www.walterreeves.com/insects_animals/article.phtml?cat=21&id=627
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SwampDonkey

I have a red cedar lined closet and the only thing I find that keeps them bugs out is a handful of moth balls. I have them in the fall coming in from the cold, then they seem to die out in the winter, nothing to eat and no water. The ones I see are tiny, not like a budworm moth.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

oakiemac

The engine in that thing looks like the one on my sawmill.  ;)
Mobile Demension sawmill, Bobcat 873 loader, 3 dry kilns and a long "to do" list.

Brucer

I dunno about ERC, but WRC works pretty good. Piece of 1x4 about 3-1/2 feet long. Watch out you don't snag something on the backswing.

;D
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

pigman

I don't know Brucer. If Ron swings a 3-1/2 ft board in his VW Beetle  there would not be any glass unbroken.

Jeff

Hes good ta go then cause he said there are no windows.  :)

CLL

NICE RIDE!!!!  I know a guy that could use a motor like that on his machinery. 8)
Too much work-not enough pay.

pigman

I suppose somebody already tried the board method in Ron's VW is why it doesn't have any glass.

Thank You Sponsors!