iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How stupid can you get!

Started by shopteacher, July 18, 2003, 05:28:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shopteacher

Yesterday I was sawing sheeting boards for my new barn and forgot the dog on the mill was up. Yep, run the blade right into it. I had the sharpener set up so I take it off, regrind it, put it back on the mill and run it right back into the dog again. Forgot to put the @##$#%% thing down after taking the blade off. Those Timber Wolf blades are good, but not that good.  I just hate when I do stupid things like that. >:(
Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

Bibbyman

If you just did it once and then learned from it,  then it would be called "experience".  But if you didn't learn from it, then....  I guess you're human like the rest of us. :(
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Percy

Well I can honestly say I have never cut any mill parts. Im kinda anal about that stuff.......BUT..... Ill betcha Ive lost 7 mill fuel tanks(and alot of other stuff) from leaving the tailgate down and heading home...AND they cost more than blades.......so what Im sayin, Shopteacher, is, you aint alone. We should start the "Ive Done Goofy Things Club". Im thinkin the membership would get fairly huge,fairly fast :D :D :D

P.S......O.K. folks,fess up, lets hear what you have done..........
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

MrMoo

So far I haven't actually hit into a dog but I gave one a shave once. It wasn't down far enough. I figured by eye bulb was crooked.

sawyerkirk

I don't think there is a metal part on my mill I haven't hit over the years, I even sliced a cant hook handle off!!

Minnesota_boy

DanG, yer ahead of me.  I got all the metal but I've missed the cant hook handle.  How do I set it up to accedentially saw the handle off? :o
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

Frank_Pender

Well, I must admit, I hit something ONE time that was not part of the log or the mill. :'(  I had placed a pick-a-roon on the platform where the mill brings back the lumber. Wow! did stuff fly. ;D  I welded the point back onto the handle housing and had to make a new handle at the same time. :-/
Frank Pender

ARKANSAWYER

Did you know that your blade can strip paint so that you can touch up a bad spot.   That was the case on this New LT15 last fall as both Bibbyman and I watched at how well a new blade could strip paint on a new mill. :D
ARKANSAWYER

ARKANSAWYER

ohsoloco

The metal parts on my mill have some nice scars on em, but a few weeks ago I went out on a job....and I was thinking that I forgot to bring something with me.  I must've went through the shed four or five times looking around for anything else that needs to go into the truck.  Well, as soon as I pulled up to the site I realized that I forgot my cant hook  ::)   Luckily, the neighbor down the road has a peavey, so I didn't have to run back home.

kentuckyboy

I sawed into the dog on my new mill last week for the first time. I have come to the conclusion that there are two kinds of sawyers. Those who have sawed into metal and those who are going to saw into metal.

shopteacher

DextorDee

I done done all that, even the cant hook handle thang . :-[
Thought I was the only one around with a short cant hook handle :-/
Ken
KI4BMW
North East Georgia

Neil_B

Well, I've done something really stupid that could have cost me my life :o

I backed into a customers driveway with load of firewood.
Was talking to the customer while I was opening up the back doors of the truck. There were a few things in the driveway that I was trying to avoid hitting with the wood and I guess was more concerned with what was on the ground.
Well, still talking to the customer, I jumped in the truck, lifted the box to dump the load and started pulling ahead to empty.

TWANG ???

Uh oh, what the heck was that. Turns out I pulled out the telephone line running across the driveway.
I'm really glad it wasn't hydro :-[

I now make a point of looking UP before I dump.

Timberwolf / TimberPro sawmill, Woodmizer edger, both with Kubota diesels. '92 Massey Ferguson 50H backhoe, '92 Ford F450 with 14' dump/ flatbed and of course an '88 GMC 3500 pickup.

Frank_Pender

Well, now that you mention dumping  wood I have gone and done the same thing twice, several years ago.  The first time I was trying to save a friend whole bunches of labor by backing across his back yard to dump and I found his septic tank with the right rear set of duels. :'(  The insurance company paid for that one right away.
The second was about the same kind of situation, only I was load with some 14' logs on a 12' F350.   I was pulling away from the source of the logs and found another tank.  I had to get a self loader from a friend to lift me from that "stinking hole" as both sets of duels found the tank at the same time/  Again my insurance company came through.   ::)
Frank Pender

woodmills1

had 2 cord of firewood on my old C-40 chevy and the brake booster quit while backing down a steep driveway to deliver.  Off the driveway and over the yard into a tree.  I got out and grabbed a big hunk of wood then drove the truck back onto the drive and set the silly emergency brake that was a band around a drum at the back of the transmission and shut her off in first gear.  ran around to the back and set the lump of wood as a chock.  the customer came out as I was dumping and she never new what happened.  Drove the truck home too. :D
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Sawbuck

I don't even want to think about hitting one of the dogs on the circle mill.  :o  

With it's high feed rate and the speed of the sawblade, I imagine it would clean off every saw tooth before I knew what hit me.  It would be an expensive mistake for sure!

shopteacher

Well, at least I'm in good company.  ;D ;D ;D

Tagerts_crossing

Last winter wile sawing a large poplar I would just drop the boards that needed edged off the side of the mill for later as the pile grew I also was going lower with about 4 or 5 inches to go the saw head started to twist and if I would start the cut it would look like lap sideing.  Head up down look for prob chains guide rods bearings what the hell is going on cant find anything.  My seven year old son who is helping stack and sticker says dad that blade guard is hitting that pile of wood by the mill.  Thats the first time I told that on myself but you guys can keep it under your hats cant you :D
John Schoolcraft

Larry

On my manual mill the log stops basically have two positions up and down.  I can't see them when sawing so I put red pin striping tape on the lumber scale and anytime the pointer cross's the red line I take a second look just to be sure.  Never have hit one.

The dogs are in plain view when I saw.  You wouldn't think a guy would try to saw through metal right in front of them but for some reason it don't work that way. ;D :D ;D
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Tim

I've done the metal on rotating metal thing. There was enough swearing as a result to make a sailor blush...

My mill is circular with a powered off bearing belt.When I wind up working alone, I have to go around the engine and clean up the mess periodically.

My stupid was on a Monday morning a couple years ago. I was working alone, as normal at the time. I reached back across the drive shaft for the head saw to turn on a switch. The shaft caught my shirt under my left arm. Fortunately, the saw was at an idle. I jumped when I ran out of shirt. I hit the deck on the other side with my shoulder blades and stalled the engine. I was stuck upside down for about 20 minutes before I could tear myself out of my shirts.

I wobbled into my father's house and asked for a ride to the hospital. I got another shirt. There was enough "road rash" on my torso to make the triage nurse wince. The radiologist was a cute little brunette and being single at the time, I considered throwing myself down the stairs when I got home to get another chance to ask her out.

All in all, I figured that I faired out better than I deserve. Three busted ribs and a sore back for a month or so. The scars healed up nicely but, not so nicely that I don't have a reminder on my left bicep. I do know for certain that if someone is going to tackle me that they better have more punch than a 300 6 cyl at an idle or its just going to make me mad. All faired out well and I can laugh at myself now, keeping in mind to never do that again.
Eastern White Cedar Shingles

D._Frederick

After counting the blades with most of the teeth gone ($150worth), I desided that I should be able to come up with something to counter my lapses in memory. I put a limit switch with a cat whisker mounted on the mill so that it would hit the log post if they were too high and shut the power feed off. No more ruined saw blades!!

shopteacher

That's a great idea. How and where did you mount them?  Have you had and trouble breaking them off or smashing them?

Thank You Sponsors!