iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

looking for firewood in michigan

Started by joekatieb, December 17, 2008, 11:31:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

joekatieb

My friend and I have begun to sell firewood here in Michigan and have done quite well so far. However, our "endless" supply has almost ran out. We would like to but logs that we could cut and split. If anyone could point us in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated

beenthere

Welcome to the forum.
Tell us a bit about your operation. Do you have a processor?
What kind of volumes do you handle and do you market it green, or "dry"?

Some pics would be great.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Reddog

Welcome,

Also helps if you let us know what area of Michigan. ;)

joekatieb

Well, we are definately a small operation. Since we started selling firewood in the beginning of November we have probably gone through about 40 face cords of mixed hardwoods. We don't use any kind of processors or anything like that. For the most part all of the wood so far have been cut to length and split by hand. While that is hard work, we like to just think of it as a gym membership that pays us. We were not sure if the wood was going to sell, so investing in the splitter was too much of a risk. However, we were wrong. It would have definately been worth it.
I don't currently employ any marketing other than a sign in front of the house. I put an ad online some time ago but had to remove the ad as I was getting too many calls to be able to supply. The way we are doing it right now is we must go pick the wood up from piles of various length and width. Use my pick up and a trailer haul the wood back, then cut, then split. Wow is it a lot of work. I have seen some people around get semi loads of wood brought in, all cut to uniform lengths and sizes. How do we get this? It seems like this would cut out a huge amount of time that I now spend on this project.

joekatieb

Sorry, we are in southern Genesee, north Oakland county Michigan

oakiemac

Well I don't know how far you are willing to travel but we have a large amount of slab wood and low grade logs that we might be willing to get rid of.
We are located about 35 miles southwest of Kalamazoo. Send me a PM if interested.
Mobile Demension sawmill, Bobcat 873 loader, 3 dry kilns and a long "to do" list.

vtbuckslayer

im from the great state of vermont where there most guys try to get ahold of the local loggers or find loggers working in that area and try to get ahold of them.  You must realize a semi load and your pick up is completely different.  truck and pulp trailer gets us here at home any where from 13-16 cords. and a plain truck anywhere from 5-8 cords.  Those are full cords we dont mess around with hauling face cords. we been selling truck loads for around 600 650.  and truck and pulp for around a 1000.  thats just some details on my area figure maybe give you a rough idea of what you are looking at.  me and my old man started out with a single wedge splitter and a 75 one ton chevy.  We currently are running a brand new 08 dodge 3500 and a timberwolve four way splitter and timberwolve conveyor. that was just over about a 7 or 8 year time frame.  and are currently thinking bout upgrading to a full wood processor since the firewood business has been so hot.  and we only do it on the weekends seeing how we are in the woods logging all week.  figure it would be so good encouragement for you guys just starting that there is money in the business. 
ms 390 20", ms 441 24"
00 big bear 4x4(lots of extras)
98 polaris indy triple
98 gmc k 1500 4x4

joekatieb

Thats what I am looking for. A semi load. The pick up is just taking too much time. The prices you talked about were the same as what I had heard. I spend far too much time running wood and would like to use the time to be cutting and splitting. So if ya hear of anyone, send em' my way. It would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You Sponsors!