iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Scaling logs-a simpler way?

Started by karl, December 15, 2008, 02:41:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

karl

I just finished scaling 195 SW logs of which there were 21-10x16, 23- 9x16, 31- 8x16, 24- 7x16, 24- 6x16, 25- 5x16 (82 yr young farmer- takes 'em right down to 3.5" ::))

We have been using a yard sheet with dia. rows and length columns and making a mark for each log of a given size with a slash for the fifth one, then off to the office to use the "whacko' logs" calculator from the toolbox.

This works OK, 'cept I'm getting lazy and tire of entering each log individually when there may be 20-30 of one size at a time, not to mention I loose track of how many I've entered and have to recount regularly.

Is there a calculator that will allow multiple logs to be entered at a time? It would also be great if the calculator remebered lengths until I wanted to change it too, since I enter logs working from long to short and large to small.

If'n I was smarter maybe I could create a spreadsheet that would do what I'm asking????

Thanks
Karl
"I ask for wisdom and strength, Not to be superior to my brothers, but to be able to fight my greatest enemy, myself"  - from Ojibwa Prayer.

WH_Conley

Just get a scale stick. Logrite has em. ;D
Bill

Dan_Shade

I agree on the scale stick.  I also use a spreadsheet for estimates, i'll attach it later.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

SwampDonkey

Nothing to do with the thread perhaps.  ;)

Some loggers will get mad because I marked the end of the sticks I scaled in the woods. I don't know if they were insulted some way, or if they couldn't figure out a new way to steal wood. Or both. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Jeff

Agreed. If you're scaling logs regularly, you really need a scale stick.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Albertcounty hillbilly

I use a tally sheet then enter the total of different size logs onto  a spreadsheet that figures the totals,and cost.It is calculates using the new brunswick log rule which is close to the maine log rule.I will try to attach it.

woodmills1

James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

karl

Used to scale with a stick...started using the tally sheet so I had a record of each log for the seller, trucker, and me. Same for the whack o logs sheet- it shows what logs are each worth and totals...and looks a whole bunch better than my handwriting ;) Haven't had a question about tally since using it.
Even with the stick, I still want a printed sheet and hopefully a quicker and professional looking explanation of what I paid for.

Sounds like the spreadsheet is the answer, we use them all the time in the construction part of our business, but I have no idea what the formula would be for figuring international scale???? Or how to set it up to work simply.
Would appreciate seeing the ones your using hillbilly.

Thanks for the quick responses

Karl
"I ask for wisdom and strength, Not to be superior to my brothers, but to be able to fight my greatest enemy, myself"  - from Ojibwa Prayer.

Dan_Shade

here is my spreadsheet.  I use international scale to estimate jobs.

I welcome any feedback on it.  I hope it's user friendly.

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Dan_Shade

i just made a quick update to reflect log quantities.

Ron Wenrich

If I had a spreadsheet, I would want data that would include species and grade as well as scale.  You can use the diameter and length, and have it set for whichever scale you want. 

When I scaled for a bigger mill, we would separate by species, grade and length, as each one of those had a different pay scale. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

woodmills1

scale stick and hand held tally computor..............modern :P
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Brian_Rhoad

Dan_Shade

I'm a sucker for spreadsheets....

I think this is what Ron is talking about, at least my interpretation....

Sprucegum

8) cool spreadsheet Dan  8)

I might have fun with that.

SwampDonkey

A spreadsheet is the simplest, but if you wanted to eliminate paper in the yard you could set up a database that prints reports. With a Pocket PC or similar you can use Visual CE on your handheld and design forms for each database table you bring over from your office PC (MS Access used). Visual CE can also print the reports and display them on screen. Set up a table to have prices by length and top size in drop down list. Let the computer calculate volume and value based on entered length and top diameter. Bring the handheld in the office, set it in the cradle, synchronize, and click a button for the report. I haven't yet seen any handheld spreadsheets yet that have the functionality, but they may exist. I have not searched for a couple years.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

karl

Dan- YOU DA MAN!
That's what we were lookin' for! 8) 8) 8) 8)
I love this place
Thanks

We're not ready to go to hand held pc's yet...if ever.

Thanks again all
Karl

Thank You Sponsors!