iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Christmas Contest #4

Started by Jeff, December 14, 2008, 12:56:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

If you could win this beautiful Spalted Maple Bowl made by Santa Steve Beecraft to give as a gift, who would you give it to and why?

Tell us before 10pm forum time on the evening of December 17th. :)

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

isawlogs

Thats is a sweet looking bowl that would look its best sitting on Joan's counter  :) She has been here quite a few times since knowing her , never has she come here empty handed , always having something to give as a gift . My daughter has grown found of her and has tried many times to be here when Joan comes around , it dont work out all the time but has a few times.
   Sprucebunny is about as good a person as I have ever met and I am honored to have her as a friend. To her I would like to give this peice of fine craftmenship in honor of my friendship to her .

Thanks .  :-*
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

beenthere

I'll second that motion.  8) 8)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

stumpy

I had someone in mind and Beenthere's reply convinced me.  I would give it to Beenthere and here's why.  Take a look at his posts, They are always aimed at either helping to answer a question or to compliment someone, or to offer condolences, or to just add humor.  He never toots his own horn or puts anyone else down. Now I know there are many other members that do the same,  but he just seems to be always humbly committed to adding value to the forum.
P.S. Now don't get a big head BT :D
Woodmizer LT30, NHL785 skidsteer, IH 444 tractor

Jeff

This has been looked at 100 times and two posts. I could list a hundred people I would like to give it too. Thousands even.

Warbird

Should it be a FF member or can it be anyone?  If it can be anyone, then I'd give it to my wife because she is beautiful and worthy of beautiful things.  If it must be a FF member, then I don't know...  so many folks around here deserve something like that.  Guess Furby would be first on my list.

wi woodcutter

I would give it to Tom. His postings are full of information, adding alot to the forum.
2-066's ms660 034av 076av huskee 27ton splitter CB5036
A guard dog needs food, water, shelter, walking and training.
My Smith & Wesson only needs a little oil!

Reddog

I would just give it to my lovely wife. :)

Because she tolerates me so well. :-*

Jeff

pigman

I think katie-did should have the bowl since she is too busy to turn a bowl and part-timer must be too lazy to get on here and choose her to get it.
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

nas

I would be like my wife and wrap it up for me!! 8) 8)
If I can't do that I would give it to my wife for putting up with 6 kids.  Our 5 and myself :-*

Nick
Better to sit in silence and have everyone think me a fool, than to open my mouth and remove all doubt - Napoleon.

Indecision is the key to flexibility.
2002 WM LT40HDG25
stihl 066
Husky 365
1 wife
6 Kids

sawdust

My wife and I have a friend who did our marriage ceremony, he has since retired. In his retirement he has become a potter. I call him Peter the Potter, I used to call him Pete the Priest! Anyway he is always giving us pots cups and anything else he has been experimenting with. He appreciates skill and talent, I would give him the bowl.
sawdust.
comforting the afflicted and afflicting the comfortable.

JimMoore

I would give it to Tom. He  adds a  lot to the forum.

WDH

We all want to give it to our wives :).

However, when I think about the Forum and what it represents, I see it embodied by Tom.  He is wise, he is kind, and he is out to help anyone that he can.  In many ways, he is a larger than life figure here.  If it cannot be a red shirt, then it may as well be a beautiful spalted bowl.  I appreciate what you bring to this Forum Tom and I really appreciate that you have become my friend.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Texas Ranger

The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

LeeB

My wife came to mind first but I wood really rather turn one for her myself. Not sure I have any chunks of wood that pretty though. My next thought was Tom
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

ellmoe

My first response would be my Mother. She's a great woman and the best mother a young boy (or an older one) could/can have. Also, a few years ago I gave her a spalded persimmon bowl that looks almost identical to this bowl. She does alot of family entertaining, especially at the holidays, and it's always full of nuts or candies. That said, I am all behind the "draft Tom" movement. He is a shining example of what these forums should be about . Tom is always there to help, has the wisdom to share, and is quick with much needed humor. I think delivering the bowl to our own version of Santa (Have you let the hair and beard grow back out Tom?), red shirt and all, will be quite appropriate. smiley_clapping

Good idea, Woodcutter.

Mark
Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

breederman

I would give it to my wife of twenty six years. She has put up with me for a long time! This last year has been tough on her as she has had some health problems and now has pneumonia. I certainly couldn't make anything for her as nice as that bowl.
Together we got this !

thecfarm

That bowl would look good full of pine cones and greenery this time of year for Santa to enjoy.Colored eggs and jelly beans for Easter.Hearts for Valentines Day would make any heart throb.Some nice flowers in the spring would make it shine.Harvest from the garden would do wonders for it.Small pumpkins and squash would make everyone hungry for Thanksgiving.My wife Brenda would do all that with the bowl and make it a new home at The C Farm.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

breederman

Together we got this !

jdtuttle

In the spirit of Christmas I would give it to our churches "Christmas Family". Each year a family is choosen that is enduring a life threatening hardship. We don't know who the family is only that they are in need and a little about them. This year it's a family of four. The Mother is undergoing chemo traetments for cancer. The father & two sons enjoy hunting and doing mechanics on their tractors. They raise their own beef, chicken & pigs. They are good people in need of help & love. A gift like that beautiful bowl would symbolize unity and offer an understanding that people really do care.
Jim
Have a great day

Don K

I just got back online after 3 days. Been a long three days! Steve that bowl is beautiful. You are truly talented to turn a bowl with that big hole in it. When I saw it I pictured what would happen to it if I tried.  :o If I won that bowl I could think of many people on the Forum I would love to have it, but I think I would give it to my wife, She has become real enthusastic about wood and what beautiful things can be built from it. She is really amazed at some of the woods that my woodpecker friends ( that is her endearing term for ya'll) have sent to me. She enjoys looking at all the things that so many members post on here. That would be one special gift for her to unwrap on Christmas morning. It would hold a place of honor for her to show off its beauty.

Don
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

isawlogs

I know it is unethical to ungift and regift a gift you do not yet have, that being said,
If it is at all possible I would really like to have my gift to Joan rerouted the family mentioned in the quote below . Most of you know that we have gone down this road with my daughter it is not an easy ride , so please pull his name out of the hat and send the gift to them ..... Ya I know its rigging the contest but for me there aint much that can top the need .      Joan I know you will understand, I'll make you a bowl  ;)   :-*
  It could be sent in the name of all of us at the Forestry Forum  smiley_sun

Quote from: jdtuttle on December 15, 2008, 08:33:47 AM
In the spirit of Christmas I would give it to our churches "Christmas Family". Each year a family is choosen that is enduring a life threatening hardship. We don't know who the family is only that they are in need and a little about them. This year it's a family of four. The Mother is undergoing chemo traetments for cancer. The father & two sons enjoy hunting and doing mechanics on their tractors. They raise their own beef, chicken & pigs. They are good people in need of help & love. A gift like that beautiful bowl would symbolize unity and offer an understanding that people really do care.
Jim
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

wi woodcutter

seems like Tom is getting alot of votes!
2-066's ms660 034av 076av huskee 27ton splitter CB5036
A guard dog needs food, water, shelter, walking and training.
My Smith & Wesson only needs a little oil!

Radar67

My Grandfather passed from cancer many years ago, JD's post touched me, so I'll vote to send it to his Christmas Family.

Our Home School Group has a special person we give to at Christmas and she has already been blessed this year.
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

Thank You Sponsors!