iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Corner Chisel Sharpening?

Started by jander3, December 14, 2008, 11:38:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jander3

I need some advice on techniques (including stones or files) for sharpening a corner chisel.  I've applied quite a bit of information from this forum to sharpening framing chisels and slicks, so now I can get a pretty fair edge (including a micro bevel).  However, I can't find any specific direction on how to approach sharpening up a corner chisel.

The corner chisel is pictured below (it is a Barr Quarton chisel). Any thoughts (or references to  a post on this topic) would be appreciated.

Jim_Rogers

Before my partner in the tool business started sharpening all my tools for me, I sharpened my own corner chisel with a file.

I create a block of wood with the same angle as was on the chisel when I got it for free from my barber. He got it at a flea market for a buck.....

I then clamped the block onto the corner chisel, in the inside of the "v" and use it to guide my file so that I would maintain the same angle.

Once I had one side done, I moved the block to the other side, and back again as needed.

Of all the tools my partner "Tom" sharpens he dislikes sharpening corner chisels the most.....
Due to the difficulty doing them.....
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Thehardway

Jander,

I found an old PS&W  laminated steel corner chisel.  It was sharpened in such a way that there was a small point in the "V" which could be placed at the intersection of your mortice lines. I showed it to a local man who did some historic restoration work and timberframeing and he said that he had never seen one sharpened in that manner and if it was his he would grind it off.  I took his advice and now I wish I hadn't.  It worked much better with the point.  I plan to put it back but it will take quite a bit of filing to get it back.  I sharpen mine with a three cornered file.
Norwood LM2000 24HP w/28' bed, Hudson Oscar 18" 32' bed, Woodmaster 718 planer,  Kubota L185D, Stihl 029, Husqvarna 550XP

moonhill

TheHardway, to gain the point back switch to a stone.  Use the edge of the stone and only sharpen one side at a time.  As the stone wears away the contour of the corner to the stone will assist with the point.  I use water stones and they wear away with use.  I used a file and lost my point.  The stones can be trued up with a truing stone or a grit substance and plate glass. Brad bb's method of sandpaper on a mold of some sort would work too.

I like a point as well.  Some people don't use a corner chisel to clean out the holes, I find the corner chisel to be very helpful for corners and nibbling away at bigger section of wood as a way of relieving pressure.  I have a 1" no brand and a 3/4" Barr, the Barr gets the most use.   

Tim
This is a test, please stand by...

jander3

I like the point...big time...works well. Thanks for the caution.

Thank You Sponsors!