iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Whats Going ON an update

Started by Meadows Miller, December 14, 2008, 10:10:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Meadows Miller

Gday

The last couple of months for me  have a PITA at times  ::) Starting with coustomer that has been giving me the runaround for 10 weeks with down payment to get the meadows mill going so ive told him that they have wasted enough of my time and that if it takes them this long to organize a deposit How long will it take me to see the rest of it  ;) :D :D And Ive got a new rule now No more 1 off jobs in recycled timber if they cant come up with the money Up front  ;) Id rather turn down $20 ks worth of work than be left holding the bag  :o if they cant Walk the Walk  ;)

And  on top of that there was a stuff up with the log supplyer about 8 weeks ago where i was reciving oversize logs and the wrong lengths to what id orderd but id decided to to keep reciveing them insted of rejecting the loads (As each load that of 15mmbft arived had the same problem  ::) and it would have cost him if i turned the truck around :o) also as i thought i would have the meadows mill running by now  ::) and would have been able to cope with the prolem in short time  ;) and now i have 100000 bft of Large pine sawlogs sitting in the yard ready to saw that wont fit through the lil banger as its economic operating range tops out at about 18 inches dia
and ive got stuff here thats upto 39" dia and i wasent looking forward to having to bust up that volume with the chainsaw  :( Its ok as Ive been getting along with the supplyer and we are on good terms as how to deal with the situation we have at the moment as I dont want his payment to drag on for any more than the next 30 to 35 days ;) ;D

On  the Up Side tho the last couple of weeks have been good
As a mate of mine has decided to purchase a new to me  8) ;D 8" cut Lucas Mill for me to hire purchase of him over the next few months to help me out of this little problem of being able to cut the over size logs and be able to make a decent return on my time and effort  ;) :DThe mill is about 7 to 8 years old has less than 200 hrs on the clock on a B&S Vanguard motor and come with the 3 saws tool kit sharpener 6m 20' tracks with 24'cut extensions and has been in a shed its whole life they had $10k on the addvert but ive been talking with the bloke who owns it and asked him if he would take $8 to 9 k for it as it is a 900 mile round trip to have a look at it and i needed to know if he would negotiate on price if i get up there and find it needs some work ;) he said he wold be happy to get $8500 for it  ;D 8) 8)as he said he has had some idiots offering him 6k and and just said id rather keep it at thet price  :D :D I told him id also be happy at the $8500 mark  ;) ;D ;D as he is als not sure if its the 20hp or the 25hp motor as its stored at a mates farm 5hours from him and he hasent seen it in 5 years  ;) :D ;D My mate also has access to  a couple of local farms to get large logs from that he wants milled  and i will be trading My skills/labour for part of the repayment  he sees it as a Win Win situation ;) ;D 8)

I have also confirmed with an old log supplyer that we used to deal with for along time that rang me up the other week offering me a minimum 3 to 400000 bft of cypress A and B Grade sawlogs For 0.21 cents a bft aust delivered to my yard for the next 6 to 12 months   ;D 8) Cypress sells here for between $1.55 bft to 3.10 a bft rough sawn green off saw  ;D and ive contacted a buyer who has been after me to cut some cypress for him for a while and and asked him if he could cope with 15 to 20 000 bft a month and he said he will take every stick i can send him  ;D ;D 8) 8)

So the New Plan  ;) :D
Is to hopefully go up and pick up the Lucas mill on tue or wed when my mate gets the cash together come home and and start sawing like a loonatic and get back on track within the next 4  weeks and then start sawing Cypress pine when the logs start arriving mid January then also get stuck into building a House/HOME   ;) :D On one of the 1/2 acre blocks i have in town starting in Febuary  ;) .

So Im hoping there will be no Nasty Supprises come up in the next few weeks Like they say Nothing Worth While Comes Easy ;) :D :D :D :D ;D ;D

Reguards Chris  ;D
4TH Generation Timbergetter

Tom

Like Col. John "Hannibal" Smith (George Peppard) would say on The A Team, "I love it when a plan comes together." :D

Meadows Miller

Gday Tom

Ive seen the A team a few times when i was younger  ;) :D ;D
Hopefully  this plan goes a bit Better than the last one  Mate   ::) ;) :D :D :D. It should do as im dealing with people i know and I know they  wont yank my chain  ;) ;D 8) :D :D
Im seriously thinking of getting out of doing recycled timber alltogether this time as ive had people let me down pretty bad a couple of times in the last few years thats cost me a fair few Bob and the time it takes to catch up  ::) :( >:(
This ones different Im holding $10 ks worth of his sawing job in the yard at the moment ;) :D :D ;D as i was geared up and ready to get going to get the Meadows going to cut the longer upto 28' lengths they wanted  ::) Now he is the one crying to me why cant you do it for me  :D as he still wants me to the job Id origialy given Him a  discount from $1.55 a bft  to a $1.10 for the sawing component + $27.50 per hour for the labour + consumables to Demetal it  ;) You shoulda heard him start Crying when I told him when I said it will most likely be going back to $1.55 a bft and he stupidly asked me why  ::) :)
I said it was because at the start of all of this I was clear as day about the discount being Motivation for them to get there butt in to gear and get the job on the go as quikly as possable as they could have saved a fair amount on the job

I still might consider taking the job on again if the folowing Conditions are met Payment is made upfront for a sett amount of Bft most likley 4000bft plus payment of the Demetaling before any sawing  starts
And If he dont like them terms he just has to send the trucks pick it up as it dosent  worry me if i get the job or not  Ive got better things to do with MY Time ;) :D :D ;D

With the old Lucas I gave lucas a ring today and talked with Jenny Lucas and found out it  is 10 yrs old  :o ;) :D and has the 20 hp B&S Vanguard on it and gave me the original price they paid for it $11800 au so I might be able to take him down a lil bit more on the price  ;) ;D

Reguards Chris

thecfarm

Out with the old plan,in with the new plan.  :D Good luck to you. I think we all had deals like that at least once.  ;) That's how we learn what to do and not to do next time.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Meadows Miller

Gday Cfarm
You have gotta be quick on your feet Like my old boss that was going to loan me his old lucasmil the second one built infact  ;) ;D said the other day you have to be able to move mountains when you have to mate and this is one of those times ;) :D :D ;D

My main Problem is that i take people on face value to often  ;D But like myself if you tell someone you are going to do something you bloody well do it not just say it because its what you think they want to hear at the time  ::) :) :) Chris

Thank You Sponsors!