iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A whatzit?

Started by farmerdoug, December 13, 2008, 10:49:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

farmerdoug

Here is something I found in two boxes in the trailer.  Anybody care to guess what it is and what it is used for?

Here is one with handles.

A look inside.

Here is more in the box.
Doug
Truck Farmer/Greenhouse grower
2001 LT40HDD42 Super with Command Control and AccuSet, 42 hp Kubota diesel
Fargo, MI

DanG

Molds, for..well, er...molding things. ???
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

farmerdoug

Dang,  you are half way there. ;D

I suspect a lineman will know their use.
Doug
Fargo, MI

farmerdoug

Since DanG is halfway there, we need what they are used for and how?
Doug
Fargo, MI

DanG

Since I got it half right, does that mean I get half of the Knaack boxes? 8)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

LeeB

'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

SwampDonkey

Well I don't know what they were used for, but I'll guess they were used in Spokane. Just so we get that out of the way, anyway. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

timberfaller390

we njeed a better view of the first pic
L.M. Reese Co. Land Management Contractors
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

thecfarm

I'll keep this going,insulators?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Dana

Is it used to splice the power lines together?
Grass-fed beef farmer, part time sawyer

farmerdoug

A good guess Dana, among other things.  Now how do they do it?
Doug
Fargo, MI

Chuck White

What about using it to apply lead sheathing to underground cables!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

scsmith42

That, my friend, looks like a mold used for exothermic welding.  The most common brand name is "Cadweld".

Typically it is used for making a permanent attachment of a ground wire to a ground rod.  They are also used to weld ground wires together, to attach ground wires to steel members, etc.

There is no chance of oxidation developing in the completed joint (which can cause interferance to radio equipment at a cell site / repeater site), and the welded connections are very strong.

The ground rod and wire are inserted in the mold, and then a mixture is poured into the mold and ignited.  The mix usually contains something like gunpowder and metal shavings, and it melts around the components, welding them together.

Scott
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

farmerdoug

We have a winner.  8) 8)

Now what am I doing to do with them. ::) ;D ;D

Anybody need exothermic welding molds in various sizes?
Doug
Fargo, MI

Gary_C

Quote from: farmerdoug on December 14, 2008, 10:49:51 AM
Anybody need exothermic welding molds in various sizes?

Ya, Scott needs them. He's the only one that knows how to use them.  8) 8)
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Tom

They might make a mold for a fishing sinker too. :-\

Warbird

Quote from: Tom on December 14, 2008, 10:55:04 AM
They might make a mold for a fishing sinker too. :-\

I was thinking they looked like good boat anchors.  ;D

scsmith42

I think that this is the first "Whatsit" that I've won!  I kinda feel like Steve Martin did when he found his name in the phone book.... :D

Doug, as I recall the molds are good for a certain number of charges, and then they've worn to the point where the powder blows out when you light them off, and thus are discarded. 

If yours are unused (or in very good condition), you can probably sell them on e-bay.  Depending upon which molds you have, the price could be anywhere between $15 - 100.00 each.

Scott
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

farmerdoug

They are in various conditions.  Also have four boxes of charges for them too.

Thermite anyone? ;D
Doug
Fargo, MI

dolittle

Great explanation guys.  As an ex-electrical contractor I know of this method but have used it nor have I ever seen the equipment to make the weld. 

sawman

When everything works right it does make a heck of a connection.
They are used for grounding connections. We use them alot on grounding to structure
steel.
'14 LT40 Hydraulic 26 HP koehler ,massey ferguson 2200 forklift, Case IH D40
Wallenstein FX85

Don K

Just saw this. I knew exactly what they were the moment I saw the pics. I used them alot in the 80's when I worked electrical construction. They will make you check your pants when they get worn and the charge and melted copper blow out from the sides. :o

Don
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

Thank You Sponsors!