iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

how long will it take

Started by Den Socling, July 16, 2003, 05:49:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Den Socling

Tonight, at 7:46 I took a whack at one of WoodWeb's sponsers at the WoodWeb. Let's see how long it will be there.

Jeff

Interesting. I was thinking thats no way to be, taking a whack at a sponsor, but I dont think thats really what you did. I dont usually go over there for any reason but I had to in this case. I would think the claim defect free would be impossible to stand behind for any kind of manufacturing process.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

biziedizie

I can't see them giving you the boot for pointing out a few facts. If the sponsor can give you some proof that they can have results that have no defect then let's see them prove it.
  I know nothing about vacum kilns and being as green as I am I sure would be p@$#ed if I bought one because they claimed it was better then the rest because of what they say in print.
  I hate false advertising!

Steve

dail_h

World Champion Wildcat Sorter,1999 2002 2004 2005
      Volume Discount At ER
Singing The Song Of Circle Again

Den Socling

Steve,

That's my point. I positively hate false advertising.

I used to exchange a lot of email with a guy from HeatWave. He claimed that their RF/V kilns could dry White Oak defect free. Was I really missing something or was he a liar? Much later, the president (or whatever) of HeatWave said that they could not dry White Oak and the guy who made the claim was gone. To how many people did he make that claim? >:(

Den

inspectorwoody

I believe you did the right thing. Curious to see the responses of people.

8)

Frank_Pender

Well done, Den. 8)

How about trying a sample kiln of yours out here in the West?  I will set one up for you and you can come and visit any time you wish.   ;D
Frank Pender

Mark M

Yeah - put me down for onena dose free kilns too :D

Mark

biziedizie

Send one my way as you need a guy in Canada selling them for you. :)

Steve

biziedizie

Looks like they pulled the plug so I made a new post asking why and for what reasons :D :D Wonder how long that post will last??? ;D

Steve

Ron Wenrich

Ain't censorship great?   :o    I wonder how many posts they eliminate in the course of a month?  

I read the original post and didn't find anything wrong with it.  We've had a few posts that were critical of some equipment manufacturers.  Whenever possible, I try to give them a heads up, and to their credit, they have come on and explained their product and their policy.  

And that's the way it should be handled.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

inspectorwoody

:D I replied to Steve's post! Wonder how long before I get a personal boot  ;D

It all comes down to politics and the fact that the so called "know it alls" can't handle the truth.

Some peoples kids  :D

Jason_WI

Steve,

Your post is already pulled. That didn't take long  ;D ;D

Jason
Norwood LM2000, 20HP Honda, 3 bed extentions. Norwood Edgemate edger. Gehl 4835SXT

biziedizie

Well they pulled my post did they :D

That's ok as I notice that they don't seem to moderate the board at night or on weekends.

Will be giving the good Dr an ear full tonight about this. :D

Anyone got any ideas??? 8)

Steve

Den Socling

I didn't even have a chance to make a post in the new thread.  ;)  I knew, of course that my thread couldn't stay up. VacuTherm wasn't about to allow a shot at snake-oil salesmen with their ad flashing "defect free" right above my post.

I will say that WoodWeb was nice enough to call this morning to explain why they would have to pull it down. I told Carl, I believe it was, that there was no need for explanation. I knew it couldn't stay.

Websites and forums take a lot of work. I wish Jeff was making some money from all of his time and effort at this forum. Just because he likes to do it doesn't mean he shouldn't get paid for his time. Sponsers are a source of money and forums like this and WoodWeb need sponsers. However, I believe that WoodWeb should not allow snake-oil salesmen. Defect free my butt! That claim stands out like a sore thumb. They should have said that, if such a crazy claim is made, they want to see evidence. I wasn't exaggerating. There is a lot of companies who have been swindled by vac kiln manufacturers and the industry needs cleaned up. Hungry for money or not, no forum should allow fraudulent claims.

biziedizie

Den I will keep that all in mind as I think of something to say. :D :D

When I get the boot I will be coming back with the name Zore. :D

Steve

Jeff

I say Amen to a lot of that. ;)

Looks like a good time to interrupt for this short message:

Guys, if ya'll know of any possible sponsors out there that could benefit the forum but most importantly benefit you as members please give them a nudge our way.  I hate to say this, but it looks like my commercial sawmill days, at least where I am now will be coming to an end this year. I wont go into details but the time has come for me to do something different due to circumstances that I simply can not tolerate.

I have never been a risk taker due to my responsibilities to my family but now due to certain circumstances my family's well being is at risk by remaining where I am so leaving seems to be the only option. The Forestry Forum, I hope, can at least in part, be one of my jobs. It would be a dream job for me to manage it, expand it, and serve its members in some form. I hope with the forum, and the other web related work that I have now,  that things work out.
If ya'll knew the circumstances I think you would agree that I am making the right choice no matter what the outcome. I like to think I am pretty good at some of the things I do so hopefully I will be able to find a way to do them in a way that will support my family and be a benefit and an asset to those I have an opportunity to work with and for.

Mark M

Hey Jeff why don't you have voluntary "member sponsors" where the forum members contribute some amount to help support the forum and in return they get a star by their name or some other form of recognition or benefit. I would gladly contribute something in return for the fun I have here and I know others would too. You could have different levels such as bronze, silver, and gold or something like that. By having it voluntary you wouldn't exclude those who are short on funds.

Here is a link to a site that is run this way:

http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=8;t=000371

Mark

DanG

Jeepers Jeff! :o  Did you just now figger that out? ???  We have all known for a while now that your talents are wasted there. We'll have a new career mapped out for you in a skinny minute. ;D

Seriousness aside, I would be glad to pay a reasonable fee to be a member of this forum. I used to play around over at www.ytmag.com and the rather considerable membership there decided to send in voluntary contributions. Seems to be working over there. :)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

chet

I want a WOODEN star.   :D
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Jeff

Something about that just does not sit right with me. I just have the feeling that if something like that was implemented that folks would somehow feel like a lesser member for not contributing and I just cant have that.

I have always believed the folks out there that are not registered but come by every day to look in and get a chuckle from looking at Mark ;D or reading anything that Kevin :o says are just as much a part of this forum as any of us.  :)

DanG

I knew you felt that way, Jeff, but I wanted to say it anyway. :)

I haven't a shred of doubt that you will do well, whatever you decide to do. You not only have a talent for this Web design thing, but a lot of knowledge of wood and art.  When you do make the break, you'll be wondering why you waited so long.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Frank_Pender

Jeff, I'll tell a what, I will do my darndest to supply the wooden stars for at least the four four Pacific Ocean States and one Province. ;D   We will have to set some sort of $ level, somehow in order to receive a "Star".  ::) I suppose,like you did for the hats and all. :P  I have a very complete woodworking shop to produce the stars.  How about useing Western Big Leaf Maple burl.  Or just use a series of materials.   :)    I am thinking a five sided star would be great.   8) 8)  I got to learn to send pictures for all this. :-/
Frank Pender

Frank_Pender

Dan G, you are so correct in your thought.  There has to be a way to help this whole operation stay afloat.  Hey, Deadheader, you are always floating things.  Got any ideas. ::)

We must have a couple hundred people tuning into the forum from time to time.  Lets here some more thoughts.  My head is full of sawdust.  I am been sawing 4' plus Sequoia all day. :'(
Frank Pender

Mark M

I've got a 6" apple log on the mill right now and I am a bit dusty too. :D

Thank You Sponsors!