iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Anybody use Sketchup for designing?

Started by Dodgy Loner, December 10, 2008, 07:33:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dodgy Loner

I've heard about it on woodworking forums and magazines for a while now, and I finally decided to give it a whirl.  I must say, there's a steep learning curve, but I see how it could be a powerful design tool.  I used it to sketch a dresser that I'd like to build for a small space in my bedroom.  Took several hours, but it'll probably be several years before I get around to building the dresser ;D.  I plan to build it in cherry and maple or walnut and maple.  Not so sure about the knobs.  I'm not really happy with the way they turned out.

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

srt

Nice job Dodgy,

I took some a couple semesters of ACAD a few years ago, but never could afford the program, nor did I particularly like ACAD.

A few months ago, I dedicated a Saturday to learning the basics of Sketchup.  It's a ton easier to me than ACAD, and works just fine.  Plus, it's free.

I like it.  I''m still a beginner at it, as very little from my ACAD classes seems to transfer, but then again, the classes were taken about 5 years ago.

There are tons of tutorials on Sketchup.  That really helps

Dan_Shade

i played with it a while back, and drew up a pretty fancy book case, but I got frustrated when I couldn't figure out how to dimension it.

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

srt

I have a question for you Dodgy,

I like the arch shapes you've incorporated into the piece.  The last dwg I made on Sketchup was a step back cabinet and it had some curves, and they're a bear to try to get to cut away. 

Basically, how did you build it on paper?  Did you make individual pieces and assembly them, or did you make a box, and cutaway stuff?

I made the box and used the push pull to cut away the curves, which didn't work well.

Dodgy Loner

I started by laying out the front view as though it were a 2-D surface, and cut away the excess as necessary before pushing the face frame into 3-D.  To make it simpler, I left the drawer fronts 2-D.  To make the back after making the sides, and I just cut and pasted the front, then made the necessary adjustments.  The hardest thing for me was cleaning up after the "Follow Me" tool.  It never seemed to work quite right.  You are right about the tutorials- they're a big help :)!
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Larry

I used it to design the house I'm building now.  By using the scale I have caught errors that I probably would have missed if on paper.  It's also easy to make changes.  One thing that is quite useful is finishes and color.  I can pick say a style and color of brick to show Kathy exactly how the finished product will appear.  Kitchen cabinets the same way.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Dodgy Loner

I agree that those are great features.  I showed it to my dad and brother last weekend, and my brother immediately used it to design a lift boom for the tractor that he had been planning, and my dad said he would probably use it to design an addition he's planning for his house.  It's a very versatile program.

Larry

In the version before last I was able to import pictures I took of different wood species.  Made cabinets look quite close to the actual piece.  I don't know for sure that it is still possible to import pictures for textures, but I would assume so as it was a great feature.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

Tom

I use it on Hamburgers and Hotdogs, but like it best with French Frys or Meat Loaf.

ljmathias

Leave it to you, Tom, to find the "virtual condiment" in a software program- I guess some names are just destined to be messed with...

Lj
LT40, Long tractor with FEL and backhoe, lots of TF tools, beautiful wife of 50 years plus 4 kids, 5 grandsons AND TWO GRANDDAUGHTERS all healthy plus too many ideas and plans and not enough time and energy

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Quote from: ljmathias on December 20, 2008, 06:58:43 AM
Leave it to you, Tom, to find the "virtual condiment" in a software program- I guess some names are just destined to be messed with...

Lj

No Lj, it's not the name, it's just the most basic rule of the Forum  :P kicking in... Any thread that remains active for any significant period of time will eventually move on to discussing FOOD... :)

Radar67

This is my current design in Sketchup.

My oldest daughter requested this bookcase. It is in the cutting phase, I have the dados cut, and the radius cuts complete. I'll be starting a thread in the next few days.
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

Dodgy Loner

I really like that, Radar!  Will the back be plywood, or will you use some sort of solid wood?  I've used shiplap and frame and panel backs, and I must say, the shiplap is easier :)!

Radar67

I'm making this project out of pine and will be using luan plywood for the back. The main reason for this choice is that my daughter wants to paint it to match her bed.

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

pigman

I downloaded Sketchup last night. It only took a little over five hours. :o  I am a little behind Dodgy and Radar in learning how to use it. It does look like it has a lot of potential if I ever learn how to use it. ::)
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Larry

Quote from: pigman on December 21, 2008, 10:56:56 PM
I downloaded Sketchup last night. It only took a little over five hours.

You must have a really fast connection :D...I tried to download it overnight and it was still running the next morning.  Went to the library and downloaded it in bout 10 seconds...brought it home on one of those zip drives.

I took one of the online tutorials to get started...it was still a struggle at times.  If ya get stuck just ask a question and maybe one of us can help. 

pigman

Larry, I think I only got the condensed version. ;D
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Dodgy Loner

It would have taken a lot longer to learn without the online tutorials.  You're at a disadvantage, since it would take forever for you to download all of the video tutorials on YouTube.  There may be some written tutorials that will download quicker for you, if you look under "Help".

logwalker

Is there a "Sketchup for Dummies"?

Edit: I just checked and amazon has it for $16.
Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

Stephen1

I am in the process of downloading it now, it looks like something great to learn
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

tyb525

I downloaded it awhile back and "drew" my house to scale - by running outside with a tape measure to get measurements  :D. I think I'm gonna use it to design my projects from now on.

Edit: Just download v7. It has a template chooser at startup, and it includeds a woodworking/small project template. Google must notice how popular it is getting with woodworkers!
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Dodgy Loner

Google has a database where you can upload your own designs and download designs that others have done.  There are thousands and thousands of woodworking designs on there.  It's fun to browse through and see what others have done!

Radar67

Well, I didn't start a thread like I said earlier, but the bookcase is coming along nicely. I have it put together and almost ready to paint. I'll see about getting a picture to include side by side with the sketch up drawing.

Radar67

The book case has been done a while now, so here are some pictures of it.

Before paint.

Painted and ready to go.

It has already been filled, with hints for another one in a couple of months.

Don K

Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

Thank You Sponsors!