iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Christmas Come Early

Started by Radar67, December 10, 2008, 12:55:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Radar67

As I sat here today, all bummed out about not being able to work on my tractor barn and house foundation, because of the rain and playing nurse maid to my sick wife and both sick daughters, there came a knock on my door. Who in the world could that be? I thought. I'm on "vacation" so to speak and very few know I'm at home.

I make it to the door, look out the window, and there is no one there. I looked twice to be sure. I go back to my dish washing, laundry doing, nurse maiding tasks and think nothing else of it. About an hour later, I decided to go check on the chickens, just to get out of the house. I push on the door, only to be meet with resistance. I pushed a little harder and felt something slide. I got the door opened enough to peek out and see what the problem was. There was a big ole box setting on the steps.

I went out the other door and retrieved the box. It was from Truck Part City. I thought, I didn't order any truck parts, but sure enough, it had my name on the box. I wasn't thinking straight to begin with, but it dawned on me that this was from Burlkraft.

I took it inside expecting to find an assortment of scraps for making pen blanks out of. Boy was I shocked when I opened it. I know the forum likes pictures, so y'all get to open it right along with me....

Here is the box as I saw it...

The note when I opened it...

My first glimpse of the contents...

The contents all laid out...

There was a lot of wood in that box. I can only determine one species though. Here are the different types...

This little burl was quite the suprise.

I'm pretty sure this is box elder.

Don and Danny have the penwood express, I guess ole Steve is running the WI Wood Express.

Steve, you really made my day brighter with this box of goodies. I really appreciate it. Thanks for thinking of me.

Stew
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

LeeB

The bottom peice looks like box elder and the top peice looks like pecan. I'm gonna say the two thicker rounds could be china berry. Maybe a peice of mesquite in there and I can't even hazard a guess at the rest.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Burlkraft

Lee...You were right on with the Box Elder guess

Maybe we should make a game out of this......What else was in the box  ???  ???   ;D

"Thee Bob" can't play this one. Most of it was from my visit to see him  :)  :)
Why not just 1 pain free day?

stumpy

Ha, I got ya beat Radar  ;D  I got an assortment like that from Steve once, but he delivered it 8) 8) 8)
Woodmizer LT30, NHL785 skidsteer, IH 444 tractor

metalspinner

I don't think I should guess because.......

I got one of them boxes, too! 8)

QuoteI went out the other door and retrieved the box. It was from Truck Part City. I thought, I didn't order any truck parts, but sure enough, it had my name on the box.

That's exactly what i was thinking. :D :D

I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Dodgy Loner

I'm gonna guess that the long turning blanks are cherry and the burl is maple.  The curly stuff looks like maple, too.  Great-looking wood you got there.  Burlkraft is a apparently generous soul 8).
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

Patty

Tuesday mornings are always a drag, knowing I still have a full week ahead before there is a day off in sight. I got to work Tuesday morning dragging....my throat hurt, my head ached, every muscle in my body wanted to be home in bed.....and then I saw it. There on my desk was a big heavy box from Truck Part City. "Hmmmm." says me, "I know I have no orders coming in from them, what can this be?"    I could not believe my eyes when I opened up the box, it was packed to the brim with various shapes and sizes of wood.  8)
Instantly my headache was gone as I examined each special piece!

Thanks Steve, and Merry Christmas to you, too!
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

SwampDonkey

Yeah, I see curly maple, cherry, ash (or maybe sassafras), I guess cherry burl to.  They'll warm you up while your whittling something on the lathe. 8) I don't know what the yellow rounds are yet unless it's more elder with stain. Cool box elder square to.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Radar67

An ID game sounds fun Steve.

#1 The curly does look like maple though.

#2 Has a red color to it.

#3 Don't have a clue.

#4 This is extremely light weight, almost like balsa wood.

#5 The burl doesn't look like maple to me, it has a red tint to it. All the maple I've seen has been cream to white in color.

#6 Box Elder

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

SwampDonkey

#4 is a surprise to be light, can't be ash then, must be Sassafras, not much heavier than basswood when dry. The burl has to be cherry, I have a yard full of cherry burl. The grain looks like cherry to.

I wonder if three was a piece of yellow cypress C. nootkatensis, burl maybe? Take a smell and see if it resembles peeled carrot on a fresh surface, use a utility knife. Don't know if I spelled the latin right. ::)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Burlkraft

I'm just spreadin' the love that was bestowed upon me   ;D  ;D  ;D

Furby, Corley5, Jeff and "Thee Bob" Pasbuild all helped me fill my truck and trailer about a month ago.
I got more nice wood than any one guy should have so I thought I'd spread it around a little.
I especially wanna see sumpthin' off that big yellow Powermatic down in Iowa. I think the owner has been slackin' at the lathe time   :D  :D  :D      I know it's prolly cold in Iowa right now, but I'm sure the Boss could maybe put some candles out there to warm yer hands on a bit whilst yer turnin'   :D   :D   :D

I been turnin' up a storm since the weather went sub-zero. Might even have a piece or two fer auction in a bit  :)  :)  :)

Jill has blasted out a couple of pretty impressive pieces this past week too   8)  8)  8)

Pics to follow  ;)

SwampDonkey

Radar, that guy is big on grin'n, but not going to ID those wood blanks is he? :D :D

Radar67

The guess are getting a little slim, aren't they?

SwampDonkey

Not even a clue to what wood species in all that grinning, gift giving and wood turners' coaching. :D

Burlkraft

OK.....Jeez you's guy's give up easy   ::)  ::)  ::)

1. Curly Hard Maple

2. Redwood Root Burl

3. Curly Maple.  This was from the tree Reddog found on his quad ride in Da UP and him and Pasbuild went and got her

4. I think Pasbuild told me this was white Ash, but because of the weight I lean toward Sassafras also

5. Big Leaf Maple Burl

6. Box Elder  Texas Style

Radar67

Thanks Burl. I like knowing the back story of some of the woods. It makes what they turn into more rewarding.

SwampDonkey

Sure surprised # 5 is maple, being pink and with well defined rings. I don't see no ray fleck, well I do but it looks like cherry ray fleck. :D

LeeB

So much for my i.d. skills. At least I got one right.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

pasbuild

# 4 Yellow Birch burl,  from the largest burl Iv found to date, it took four guys to roll it on to a trailer behind a 4 wheeler. ( the 4 wheeler that Jeff now owns)
If it can't be nailed or glued then screw it

SwampDonkey

#3 ain't is pasbuild, he has the numbers on the tops of each picture. ;)

Some of them I was just giving a wild guess, except 1,4,5,6.

Yellow birch usually have the biggest burls around here to. I saw one the guys used a skidder to haul out when they were cutting wood near a camp. That one in my gallery was a huge yellow birch burl to. Most big burl turnings are yellow birch here. Mom has a coffee table from one, has glass top.

pasbuild

# 3 is curly maple, the tree that Reddog found had broken off and half of it was on the ground. the bugs and some spalting action were going on there.
Makes fer some purdy bowls.
If it can't be nailed or glued then screw it

Radar67

Yeah, #3 definitely has some spalt and bugs, even had to dispatch a few in the box.

Burlkraft

They wasn't out of the wood. I put them in there. They was inside of a snowball, but it musta melted  :D :D

SwampDonkey

Now after seeing them penguins last night picking fish out of sea ice, I was wondering what bird on land is picking bugs from the snow.  Go birdie go! ;D :D

Burlkraft

Quote from: SwampDonkey on December 11, 2008, 08:08:50 AM
Now after seeing them penguins last night picking fish out of sea ice, I was wondering what bird on land is picking bugs from the snow.  Go birdie go! ;D :D

You got penguins and sea ice there  ???  ???  ???

DanG global warming  :-\  :-\  :-\  :D

Thank You Sponsors!