iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How much do you think this would weigh?

Started by WoodChucker, July 16, 2003, 01:03:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WoodChucker

How much do you think a load of  green red oak (1" x 6" x 8') thats stacked 4 feet wide, 8 feet long and 4 feet high would weigh?

I'm trying to figure out what size hoist I'd need. Also, does anyone have any links to sites that sell hoist? I've searched google, but everything I'm finding is way to big for what I think I'd need. I'd like to keep it as small as possible but still do the job. It would need to run on a single rail about 30 feet.

Thanks for any help or ideas you might have?

R.T.
If a Husband & Wife are alone in the forrest fighting and no one is around to hear them, is he still wrong anyway?

Jeff

assuming you are going to use 1 inch stickers lets say the pile has 24 rows of boards. at 1 inch thick and 48 inches wide thats about 768 board feet using the forum toolbox Board foot calculator.

Using the forum weight estimator 768 board foot of green red oak would weigh about 3993.6000000000003 pounds. ;D plus the weight of the stickers.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Ron Wenrich

It also depends on board thickness.  If you are sawing a little heavy, by 1/16 or 1/8, then you would have to bump it up.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

WoodChucker

Ok thanks guys!

And Jeff, thanks for letting me know in a polite way that we have these tools available to us. ;D  I tend to overlook the obvious sometimes.

So anyone have any links for hoist?  I looked in the toolbox but didn't find anything.  ;D

R.T.
If a Husband & Wife are alone in the forrest fighting and no one is around to hear them, is he still wrong anyway?

DanG

What kind of hoist are we talking about? Overhead? Electric or manual?  northern toolhttps://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?action=position"> Note:Please read the Forestry Forum's postion on this company has some trolleys that will fit on I-beam, and the price ain't too bad. You could hang 2 chain falls on a pair of'em if you don't need to lift too high. You could do it with one, but the load would have to be centered real good if it's just stacked and not banded.

www.northerntools.com
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

WoodChucker

DanG,

Yes it's an overhead system I was talking about, and I guess electric would be the best way, but I would consider either one.

I just need to go up about 3 1/2 feet to load it into my PU truck.  I only have a 10 foot celling so I won't have much room to play with. Heck, it might not even work.  

My trusses are spaced 4 feet apart, the bottom part is a 2x6 and the top is made of 2x8 with 2x4 bracing in between. Do you guys think that would be safe if I added some more support somehow?

I'll take a look at that link and see what they have, thanks!

R.T.

DanG

Shucks yeah it'll work. :)   Can you get the truck under it if you pick it straight up? That'd be the easiest way. Otherwise, you'll have to allow room for the beam, the trollies, and the chain hoists, but 10 feet should be plenty of room.
How about an "A" frame with wheels? You could sling the load under it, then roll the whole thing outside before picking it up to truck height. :P
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

WoodChucker

My problem is I don't have anywhere to air dry my lumber, so my plan is to leave it inside my saw mill shed. I'll have room for 3, maybe 4 racks of wood drying at one time. So I would need to be able to pick up one rack and move it across the room over the top of the other two racks. I have a crushed limestone floor so I don't think anything on wheels would roll very well and even if it did I couldn't get past the first two racks if I needed the last one. Thanks for all your help, you have given me some really good ideas that I think might work.

R.T.

shopteacher

Your idea of suspending a beam from the trusses is not a good one. Trusses do their job of spaning a great distance by creating a balance of compression and tension within the truss.  Most truss systems are made to have a load on the top only and can collapse if weight is added to the bottom cord.
Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

biziedizie

I agree with shopteacher, if the trusses aren't designed to carry a downward load then they will not hold up. Most truss systems are scissor trusses as they're cheap and very effective at carrying a load on top but useless at suspending anything from them.
  I would concentrate on designing something that would work from the ground up. Years back I was watching my sailboat getting hauled out and put in dry dock and I've always thought that was a pretty cool way of moving things. If you designed something like that I'm sure it would work for you.

Steve

DanG

You guys are exactly right, of course.  My shed is post and beam, but I wouldn't dream of hanging 2 tons from the joists. :o  I do pull engines with a 4x4 laid across the joists, but that's less than 1000 lbs.
WoodChucker, this all may be good news for you. :)  Once you crunch the numbers, you may be able to convince your Finance Minister that it's more economical to buy a forklift or loader. ;D 8) 8)

biziedizie

DanG a forklift??? Do ya think that would work??? :D :D :D

Me thinks that would be the best solution plus it would have other duties around the yard. 8)

Steve

WoodChucker

Thanks guys, yeah I guess I need to come up with another idea for a place to air dry my lumber. I have a tractor with forks but I can't get to the racks of lumber with the lay out I have right now. I really didn't want to build anything else this year but I may have to. How do you guys store your lumber that you air dry?

R.T.

Thank You Sponsors!