iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timber Frame Saw horses

Started by Stephen1, December 08, 2008, 03:43:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stephen1

I will be building a timber frame garage next, but 1st I think some saw horses would be good practice and then I can use them after. Is there any plans out there so I do not have to reinvent the wheel designing them?
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

beenthere

We have THEE man, Jim Rogers. Search and look at his posts and pics.

Jim will be able to point you in the right direction too.  :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Dave Shepard

Search for saw ponies, that's what I'm building. Should be done with them in a few years. ::) ;D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Brad_bb

Yeah, there's full horses of which there are a three or so designs generally used, and there are ponies.  There's a post from a hear or so ago with all of them.  I'll have to search for it. Ok, here it is
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,7165.0.html ;

The timber saw horses are, well, sawhorse height and usually made from timbers, whereas ponies are intended to be shorter and then a timber laid across two sets of two and then all of the timbers you're working on laid across those.  This brings the timbers you're working on to a comfortable height and that can be adjusted with some boards/shims on the ponies.  I think the ponies are the least costly to make too and easier to transport, move or store, but everyone has their preference.  I have pics of mine in that post above.  Mine are made from dimensional lumber and some plywood.
   Jim has dimensional drawings of his timber horses, if you ask him.  If you need cribbing pony dimensions ask me.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Jim_Rogers

I think I can attach a pdf of the saw horse plans.....
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Shovel Man

At the start of my timberframing project I made two pair of sawhorses about 30" high. Best thing I did on the project!!  Working at a comfortable height allowed me to work much longer days and keep volunteers too. Just 2 x 4s with a little joinery, deck screws and Gorilla Glue. Really strong. Also, a stout wheelbarrow will transport timbers around the site.

Meadows Miller

Gday

Welcome to the forestry forum Shovel Man  ;D 8) You don't work on a road crew by any chance mate ;) :D ;D

i make my saw horses out of 6x4"s and 6x6"s and 8x4" with mortise and tenon joins and draw pins ;) cant break them unlessen you dump 2 ton of of posts on them   :o ;) :D ;D

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

jander3

I searched this forum, read a book or two, and then made a couple of small pony horses (I more or less used the design Jim posted, cept where I winged it).  This was a very worth while project.  I read up on draw pinning, cut my own pegs, and by the time I was working on the second pony, my mortises were actually square, plumb, and sized properly. This is a significant accomplishment for me as in log building within in an inch or three is close enough.

Note: I also purchased good chisels and a boring machine.  The quality of my work went way up with decent tools.

beenthere

jander3
How is the snow depth at the new cabin site?
Probably a bit cold for working up there?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Stephen1

Welcome Shovel Man sit and talk awhile,
Thanks Jim that is exactly what I am looking for, some plans to read from so I can learn that also.
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Jim_Rogers

You're welcome Stephen, and keep asking questions.....

Understanding plans, in other words, how to read them, is very important in timber framing.....
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

jander3

Plans?  You are supposed to use plans? With plans, you might actually predict what gets built...kinda takes all the surprise out of it. 

I do appreciate the search on the forum, seems like most of my questions been asked and answered before.

Beenthere,

Snow is getting good in Red Wing, we have 8 or 9 inches so far.  I'm hoping to do some snowshoeing this weekend. I am only working a day every other week or so up at Hinckley on the cabin.  Not enough daylight to get much done, and it's too cold so stay overnight.  I'm hoping by spring that I have all floor joists cut and installed.  Then, when it's warm I can put the cabin walls back together.

Stephen1

Quote from: jander3 on December 10, 2008, 02:00:57 PM
Plans?  You are supposed to use plans? With plans, you might actually predict what gets built...kinda takes all the surprise out of it. 

Plans! started out to build my cabin 10x10, no plans, it ended up 16x26 with a basement, and a loft,  I built it to the size of the logs the guy delivered to me, they were a little longer than I ordered.
I really want a set of plans & drawings this time for shop\garage with loft bunkie, before I start. I am still looking I don't know if I want to get into the designing part though, I really like the idea of finding something out that has all ready been done.

witterbound

I found my timber frame sawhorses to be a lesson on patience.  They seem so small, that it seems as if you could build them in no time.  However, the joinery is the same whether it's on a 10 foot post or a 1 foot leg.  In fact, its probably more on the 1 foot leg because you've got joinery on both ends, and it's often harded to stabilize the shorter timbers when you're working on them.

moonhill

I used a set of automobile jack stands today to hold up my trailer while doing some welding.  As I was placing them I thought they would make nice ponies.  Weld a longer seat on the top to hold the 8x8 bunk and your all set, adjustable as well.   4 should do it and they could double as their original use when changing the oil or fixing the exhaust.  They wouldn't buckle under large loads after 15 years of use, either.

Tim
This is a test, please stand by...

Meadows Miller

Quote from: jander3 on December 10, 2008, 02:00:57 PM

:D :D :D :D ;) I Thought plans when your building somthing small where just in your head aswell mate  ;) :D I spose you  could put it all down on paper  ??? :P  ;) :D :D ;D ;D

Reguards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

Thank You Sponsors!