iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

You know you're getting old when....

Started by Bibbyman, July 15, 2003, 08:03:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bibbyman

Quote from: Tom on July 15, 2008, 10:52:05 AM
You know that neon socks were the craze, and it was really cool to wear a different color on each foot.

Brooke often wears socks of different colors and styles.  She can wear any odd looking hat and still look good in it.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

DanG

Quote from: Tom on July 15, 2008, 10:52:05 AM

......Oh, you still carry a hankerchief in your rear right pants pocket and a wallet in your left.

My Dad has always been bass-ackwards about that...wallet on the right, hankie on the left.  Me, I carry wallet on the left and checkbook on the right, and I ain't owned a handkerchief in years.  Well, Dad and me have worn the same size britches for quite a while until he recently graduated to a larger size, so he gave me a whole stack of his old ones.  I wore a pair of his old Levi's today, and when I reached for my wallet, a neatly folded handkerchief came out with it. :D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

sawguy21

??? I have always packed my wallet in the right pocket , very seldom see anyone pull it out with the left hand. And I am a southpaw. :D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Tom

That because it's easier to pull it out with your right hand when it's in your right pocket.   sheeeezzz!   :D :D

We were taught that the button on the left rear pocket was to keep the wallet in. The right pocket had no button. :)

beenthere

I always wondered why the button was on the wrong pocket. Just to keep my kerchief secure, I guess.  :) 

Wallet always in my right rear pocket. And kinda glad I don't have a button there to fool with as well.  :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Radar67

Quote from: beenthere on July 16, 2008, 01:56:19 PM
Wallet always in my right rear pocket. And kinda glad I don't have a button there to fool with as well.  :)

The thieves are kinda glad you don't have a button over your wallet too.  :D :D
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

Fla._Deadheader

Ed and I carry in the left FRONT pocket. Never lose it and Pickpockets are risking it all, trying the front pocket.  ;) ;D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

beenthere

Maybe helps ta have tight fittin jeans... ;D ;D ;D

(and no thieves  :) )

Friend of mine in Italy had his wallet in a buttoned vest pocket, that was under a zipped outer jacket...but the thieves on a crowded bus removed the wallet without his knowing it (until he had just left the bus).
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

isawlogs

Quote from: Fla._Deadheader on July 16, 2008, 02:03:38 PM
Ed and I carry in the left FRONT pocket. Never lose it and Pickpockets are risking it all, trying the front pocket.  ;) ;D
I just knew we had to have something in commun  ;D :D
Always had it in the left front . Have my watch on the right arm ...
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

DanG

I don't know about old, but ya know you're getting bored when you're talking about this sort of stuff. ::) :D :D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

WH_Conley

I always thought the right rear for the wallet and the right front for the compact automatic thief stopper. ;D
Bill

Bibbyman

I was taught to keep my wallet in left rear pocket and to keep my bills sorted and arranged.  That was so when I pulled my wallet with my left hand and opened it,  the faces would be showing and numbers up and in numerical sequence from $1, up.  I then could reach in with my right hand and pull out the bills.

My sons and many younger men just stuff cash in their pockets.  When they go to pay for something, they've got this nasty wad to unfold and fumble through.

I did buck the tradition by getting a tri-fold instead of just a bi-fold wallet.
Sawing since '94

Bro. Noble

Quote from: WH_Conley on July 16, 2008, 05:03:15 PM
I always thought the right rear for the wallet and the right front for the compact automatic thief stopper. ;D

Years ago,  there were some rough coustomers that lived in our area and they frequently ran off the slab in front of our house.  I never knew what kind of situation I might find,  so I got to where I'd slip my .25 ACP in my hip pocket before I went to pull them out.  On one occasion,  it was an old fellow that gave me several stories to tell my grandkids.  When I saw who it was,  I forgot all about my 'piece' untill he said "I've got one too"  "One what?" I asked.  He pulled up his shirt to show me the old .32 revolver in his belt. :D :D

We neither one had a wallet or anything to put in one :(
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Larry

Uncle packed this little jewel for years...I don't think he would have understood or even cared about the debate for conceal/carry.  I know it's never been shot in anger...and just a few times at beer bottles.

Dad asked if I would go with him today to re-new his truck license.  He wanted to get a license plate that showed he was a veteran of WW-II just to keep up with his buddies.  Since he doesn't hear well I told him to sit down in the license bureau and I would handle it all.  The nice, young, and cute lady said I would have to show my honorable discharge (DD-214) to get the plate which I did.  She than preceded to compliment me on my service to the country. ??? ::) ??? ::)   
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

pigman

DanG Larry, you must of been -4 years old when you served in WW-II.  Of course, anyone over 40 looks real old to the younger folks.
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Larry

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

sawguy21

Quote from: Bibbyman on July 16, 2008, 05:44:29 PM
I was taught to keep my wallet in left rear pocket and to keep my bills sorted and arranged.  That was so when I pulled my wallet with my left hand and opened it,  the faces would be showing and numbers up and in numerical sequence from $1, up.  I then could reach in with my right hand and pull out the bills.

Bib, that is something that drives us Canucks crazy. All your bills are the same colour. No wonder you have to do it that way. :D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

DanG

Bibbyman

Quote from: sawguy21 on July 17, 2008, 12:39:40 AM
All your bills are the same colour. No wonder you have to do it that way. :D

Not no more.  All the new bills they're coming out with look fakes.   :-\

Remember silver certificates and $2.00 bills?   And when 10 cents and up were real silver?

Back in '66 we took our first family vacation out of state and drove to L.A. to visit dad's brother.   Mom saved up changed for a couple of years to pay for the trip.  She must have had $500.00 in silver coins she rolled up and traded in for traveler's checks.
Sawing since '94

Larry

Quote from: Bibbyman on July 17, 2008, 03:40:05 AM
Back in '66

I remember that year most well...graduated from high school and knew it all...or so I thought. :o :o

Dad hit the bank yesterday to pick up a roll of the latest state quarters...Arizona.  His favorite teller told him the mint was going to start kicking out gold dollars...can't wait to see what they are made from.

tcsmpsi

Quote from: Bibbyman on July 16, 2008, 05:44:29 PM

My sons and many younger men just stuff cash in their pockets.  When they go to pay for something, they've got this nasty wad to unfold and fumble through.

I did buck the tradition by getting a tri-fold instead of just a bi-fold wallet.

I can not remember the last time I had money in my wallet.  Well, except when I used to have some from time to time, I could keep a bill or two stashed for emergency.

If I'm allowed to have any actual paper money on my person, I keep it neatly folded in my front pocket with my challenge coin.   If I'm out on a trip where I have to have some money, I always keep a few ones on the outside of the fold.  Wallet is just for driver license, other ID's and a couple of gas cards (Chevron and Valero).

I don't think I have any pants without a watch pocket.  I don't do watches, but I keep my little swiss army, a spare cuff key and my lucky chinese coin there.

I thik riding in the saddle convinced me that having much in a wallet was a real PITA.   :D

\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

Dave Shepard

I gave up carrying my wallet about ten years ago. It now stays wedged in the four wheel drive shifter boot. Got really bad back pain from sitting on my wallet, but not because it had too much money in it. ;)

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Bibbyman

Quote from: Dave Shepard on July 17, 2008, 06:40:08 PM
I gave up carrying my wallet about ten years ago. It now stays wedged in the four wheel drive shifter boot. Got really bad back pain from sitting on my wallet, but not because it had too much money in it. ;)

Dave

Yea,  every stupid place you do business wants to issue you a customer card for some reason.  I get to where I won't do business with the places because of it.   We had a big box store move into our side of town.  I thought "Cool!  It'll be the closest, quickest place to pick up something I need, when I need it."   I got their "friends" card that was supposed to give you some credit back sometime on something.  After a couple of trips and I couldn't find or they didn't have what I needed,  I quit shopping there and went the extra mile to Westlakes Hardware.   A month or so back I went in the big box store with Mary to get some plants.  I dug out my card.  They couldn't find me in their records.  Seems if you don't do business within some length of time, they drop you.  So much for being friends.  Now when they ask,  I just tell them I don't have the card but give them my cousin's name.  He's going to wonder when he bought all that stuff to get the special credits.
Sawing since '94

Thank You Sponsors!