iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Screening Sawdust from Corley5's Christmas Contest #3!**Completed**

Started by Jeff, December 07, 2008, 05:39:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

Yesterday Reddog and I went up to Corley5's in Wolverine and we dug out his mill pit to try and get some dry sawdust to continue testing the Bio-Mizer this winter.  Here's a photo from the series that Reddog posted on the harry home owner drying thread in the alternative board.

Ya can't say I'm not a dedicated tester. :D

Stay with me now, we'll get to the contest part. ;) also, you DO NOT need to look at the following pictures or the video to enter the contest

Sawdust from a circle mill is typically, for lack of a better word, cruddy. Especially if there is no debarker operation. Bark, sawdust and who knows what is all over through the sawdust. So, for the purposes of using it in the Bio-Mizer, it HAS to be screened.

Here is a picture of my low tech method of screening. I can screen enough to fill the hopper on the bio-mizer in about a half hour. I scoop up a bucket of sawdust, flip it upside down on a chunk of hardware cloth over top of a plastic garbage can, then move it around in a circular motion. This filters the sawdust through, then I dump the stuff filtered out into another garbage can. I'm getting there now. To the contest that is...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqUgPkzSIwQ

OK, now to the contest part.  I mentioned that there was who knows what found under the mill in the sawdust. Well, I'm finding some of that who knows what stuff. :D   Contest is, you need to give me your best guess what I may have found under there.  Guess's the closest to what I have found, (you can pick 2 things, but make just one guess post), or if there isn't a clear winner that way, we'll draw from the guesses, and that person will be proclaimed the winner.

This prize will be a variety pack of homemade Forestry Forum Jams and Jellies.   

Wild High Bush Cranberry, Wild Raspberry, Blueberry and Peachy Banana  :)

Good luck and have fun!
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Jeff

One addition, you have until 8:pm tomorrow night to guess before we close this contest.  :)

SwampDonkey

I was wondering if Jeff found any "timber chicken" (grouse) feathers in under there.  Oh well, gotta have some fun ya know. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Radar67

"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

stonebroke

Corley5

Sorta like an archeological expedition  eh eh  ;D  Didya find any raccoon poop  ???  ;) :D :) :)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Dave Shepard

A wooden peavey, in pieces or possibly whole, justifiably discarded under the mill?
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

SwampDonkey

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Corley5

Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

pigman

Greg's sack of gold coins. Are you going to give them back? Or maybe a broken wooden canthook handle.
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Tom Sawyer

That wrench that he's been looking for. ;D

Or maybe the spare set of keys to the truck?

stumpy

Woodmizer LT30, NHL785 skidsteer, IH 444 tractor

sbishop

breederman

Together we got this !

Paul_H

Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

HOGFARMER

Manual LT-30

Jeff

I'm seeing lots of interesting possibilities here :D   I'm going to be screening more tomorrow if its not snowing. Who knows what else I may find. :D

Tim L

Do the best you can and don't look back

DouginUtah

-Doug
When you hang around with good people, good things happen. -Darrell Waltrip

There is no need to say 'unleaded regular gas'. It's all unleaded. Just say 'regular gas'. It's not the 70s anymore. (At least that's what my wife tells me.)

---

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Texas Ranger

The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

rbhunter

"Said the robin to the sparrow, I wonder why it must be, these anxious human beings rush around and worry so?"
"Said the sparrow to the robin, Friend I think it must be, they have no heavenly father, such as cares for you and me."
author unknown. Used to hang above parents fireplace.

isawlogs

A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

SwampDonkey

Metal filings, old busted up belt from when Corley's tractor is hooked to power the mill.  :D

Jeff might even have lost a few nose hairs when he was sawing up that red pine, picking sawdust. :D

Thank You Sponsors!