iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Nailgun dilemma.

Started by Dave Shepard, December 06, 2008, 11:29:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Shepard

I'm getting ready to build some trusses and have other future projects that would be well suited for a power nailer. At work we have a Bostich 28° framing nailer. I have borrowed an old Senco SNIV (a.k.a. SN4) for my current project. The Senco site says it uses 30° paper collated nails, but they list the SNIV as using 34° elsewhere on their site. I want to use 6d nails (2"), but there is a sticker on the gun saying it needs a "blockout" to use shorter nails. Argh!   :D I look up the SNIV, again, and they have the operators manual scanned in as a PDF, no mention of a blockout. ::) So now I don't know if it will even use the nails I need, nor do I know what nails to buy.

Now, dilemma #2. I'd like to buy a power nailer for using at work and on the farm. I am somewhat enamored with the Paslode cordless nailers, but they are somewhat pricey, and the nails seem to be about 30% more, and I won't be able to use the nails at work(28° versus 30°) and I'm not a BYON (bring your own nails) kinda guy.

Dilemma #3. I can buy reasonably priced used tools at a place over in NY state. What should I look for in  used nail gun? I have the feeling I am going to run into the same problems as the borrowed gun in that I won't know what nails I need, or if the thing is a supported model.

Dilemma #4. Smashing nails in with a big rock is starting to look like a far cheaper and more relaxing method at this point. Talk me out of it. :D

Any advice on nailguns, nails, or large rocks would be appreciated.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

HOOF-ER

Dave, I love using nailguns. Talked with Bostitch reps about it when I bought mine a year or so ago. I wanted full head instead of clip. They assured me that a transformation to all rounds was coming because of building codes/ huricanes. Stores here still dont carry them. I shoot Paslodes and some generic nails. Not many Bostitch nails in the stores here.
I bought a paper tape 33 degree gun. I have shot 30-34 degree in it with no consequence (that I can tell). It also has the metal fastener attachment with it. Metal fastners take  a special nail. Great for decks and pole barns. Shoots all nails without any modification (short-long)
Rocks work ,the bigger the better. I would stay away from flint. Might burn building down before you get it built. :D :D :D
Home built swing mill, 27hp Kawasaki

WH_Conley

For my wagon beds I use paslode #16 and hit them with a 28 oz hammer, just won't bury them in one lick.
Bill

Dave Shepard

Thanks. What model is your Bostich? I wouldn't mind a framer that would also do the metal fastener nails. I put in a bunch of joist hangers last week, and it sucks up a lot of time, and some of them were in a tight spot for hammering. I have to ask about building codes. We use the 3 1/2 16d nails for framing, and I see some nailguns only use up to a 3 1/4" nail.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

isawlogs

I cant help you out much on the nail gun cause alls I got is an acient paslode to frame with , and all the others for finishing are Bostitch...  But for those tight spots you mentioned , ya know those knukle rapers :-\ , well I got me a palm nailer for those .  ;) They aint quick , but are nice to use and will take what ever nail you got in the poutch as long as it fits the hole in the head .
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

jdtuttle

I was a framer for 20 years & used all types of nail guns. I now have had a porte cable nail gun that I use occassionally & haven't had any problems. The porter cable is a lot less expensive than bostich or senco. If I was still using a framing gun on a daily basis it would be one of those two. The main thing with any of these guns is to keep pneumatic oil in them so the o rings don't dry out.
Jim
Have a great day

pigman

I am ignorant on the nail guns, but on the farm I have used a rock to drive nails in an emergency on occasions.  I have descovered that if the rock is not held properly the nail will strike the nail and besides the nail not being driven, the pain is enormous. :o
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

bull

I prefer Bostich I have 4 nail guns, a combo stapler/brad nailer, a finsh nailer,a coil nailer and a stick framer.
The Coil nailer is a Bostich N80 which will shoot anything from 1 inch to 3 1/4 have no problem getting nails etc. Also have a large Hittachi Framing gun which will shoot 2 inch to 3 1/2 its a real rough gun you have to slam the crap out of it but it will set a 3 1/2 spike into green oak..

I use name brand and off label nails, availability and price dictate, call the nail companies, some nail companies will ship direct if they are delivering in your area, if you have a Tru Value, Lowes, Home Depot nearby, I have picked up my nails off the truck at the entrance of my local Tru Value without any trouble. The Store manager put me in contact with the saleman for the nail company because he did not want to inventory the nails that I used for making pallets, because I was the only one buying them. Even though I was buying a pallet of nails each year.
Not doing that volume of pallets anymore so I haven't had to purchase nails as of late...

Handy Andy

I still have an old sn4 senco, thing needed repair if you tried to build a house, during the job.  Also had a paslode with the gas power, they need to be cleaned regularly and don't care for the fumes.  The bostitch nailers I have give up their O rings regularly, they must use cheap O rings.  Best nailers I have had, least repairs are Hitachi.  Have a framing nailer, clip head, that has never been opened up, at least 10 years old, and sits in the trailer waiting for me to use it.  Last house was my daughters, about 2 years ago.  Bought it to frame a house, and expected to have to rebuild it after the job was done, but just kept on going.  Only shoots the 3 1/4" nails according to the directions, but have used several boxes of 3 1/2". Takes the same nails as the senco.  Only problem, for truss building, it doesn't have an adjustable tip, so might bury the nails a little deep in your gussets.  I bought a box of 2" nails for my new building, and plan to just use a shim to hold the gun up a bit so the nails hold.
My name's Jim, I like wood.

CLL

My son bought a hatachi, from Lowes and it works really good. Even on bigger nails 16d, it will bury them.
Too much work-not enough pay.

HOOF-ER

Dave , Mine is a F33PT , just go look at the Bostitch web site.  :P 2"-3.5" comes with the metal connector nose. I have never had problems with any of the nailers I own. I am sure this statement will bite me. :-\  Very religious about oiling them. Bostitch framer,roofer, finish stapler. Craftsman brad and finish nailer.
I would probably go to your favorite stores  and check prices and availibility of the nails and match my nail gun to that.
Home built swing mill, 27hp Kawasaki

Larry

I recently bought a gun to replace my old Stanley Bostitch N80SB.  I would want these features on any gun...new or used.

Depth of drive adjustment on the gun

Trigger switch for machine gun or single fire

Light weight

Bracket to hang the gun on lumber

Ability to take round head nails...that will probably put you in a 21 degree gun

BTW, Bostitch has some new nails that would be ideal for trusses I'm thinking.  They are specially designed with a bigger head, ring shank along with a twist.  They have been tested to have a much higher withdrawal along with higher shear strength than standard nails.  They have a catchy name..."Hurriquake".  I've gotten them from CPO Bostitch online.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Ironwood

I have a Bostich and hate it. Occasional use for pallets, and I must have one w/ Handy Andy's "cheap o-rings, been rebuilt twice w/ minimal use inbetween.  :-[ I had a HEAVY old Paslode, and a Senco, loved them both. Unfortunately I had to give them back.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Dave Shepard

I got a strip of P-C nails that are made to fit the Senco from a friend today. The gun seems to have some issues. It doesn't seem to fire properly, and even fired off a nail without provocation. I think I'm going to abandon that one. :D I was looking at the 33 degree Stanley, as it will also do the metal connector nails, and the nails will fit a Paslode cordless, which I want someday. However most of the "good" Stanley nails are only in the 28 degree wire weld version. Also, it seems the 28's are the only locally available nail, without driving 45 minutes to the Depot. Will continue my quest. I tried a strip of Paslode RounDrive, as they are the same degree and collation, but it drives two for each pull of the trigger. ;D

zopi

I've got a Rigid framer....and a porter cable finish nailer....love them both...

and a Senco drywall screw gun...might never swing a hammer again...
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Faron

I have a Paslode  angle finish nailer, and I hate it.  It is fine when it is working, but I am constantly having to dismantle it and clean it to keep it working.  I wish I had just bought a small compressor and air nailer.  Before I bought mine, I used a Paslode framing nailer one day, and we drove a lot of nails without any problems.  I don't know if that is typical for their framing nailers or not.
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.  Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. - Ben Franklin

Dave Shepard

I'm leaning towards the Bostich 28 wire welded nailer. If I need to go portable a lot, I might buy a JacPac CO2 bottle. I really don't want to have multiple nailers and fasteners, too much money tied up for what I want to do. Thanks for all the help.

scsmith42

If you get a nail gun that uses wire welded nails, be sure to wear safety glasses.  I have used coil nailers that used the wire welded nails and those little scrap wire pieces can put out an eye.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

sawmilllawyer

About two months ago bought a Porter Cable FC-350 which will shoot both clipped and full round head nails. No problems yet. Like the weight, and other options. Guess I found out about durability. Purchased a Porter Cable FN-250 about five years ago and have been very pleased with it. Bought at the orange big box.
Stihl MS-361, MS-460 mag, Poulan 2150, 2375 Wildthing.

Engineer

I have a Bostitch N88MCN (I think that's the model #) which shoots the plastic-collated full head nails and also has the accessory nosepiece for shooting metal connector nails (thus the MCN).  I have never used it with the MCN nosepiece though, but wanted to have it just in case I ever did need it.  Someday I'm going to put a deck on my house and will probably use it then.  Anyway, the gun was bought new and I built a shed and all the interior walls of my house with it.  Works good.  I don't oil it religiously though, actually I forget on all of my pneumatic nailers.  I'm a bad man for that.   ;D  I am selling a N66C siding nailer on eBay right now, but that will only take up to 2-1/2" nails I think.  Great for pallets but I have no need of it since I don't build pallets.

If I were to buy a new nailer I'd go with most any brand out there, they all seem to have their supporters, but I would definitely check to see what nails are easiest to get in your area and then buy a gun to suit the nails.  I lean heavily toward Hitachi tools, I like them, but all my nailers are either Bostitch or Porter-Cable.  Every professional contractor that I know has at least one Hitachi gun and loves them.  The folks at Fine Homebuilding's online forum rave about them.  Other good brands seems to be Senco and Max.

Warbird

I have a Rigid nailer (framing gun), stapler, and finish nailer.  They are all very nice, light weight, and do the job well.  I keep them plenty oiled and they take care of me.

tcsmpsi

It may not be all frilly, or have some of the ammenities, but for actual working, I have found my DuoFast framers the most consistent, and more use between rebuilds than any other.  I am not pleased with any of the bostitch pneumatic fasteners I have had.  

Just wish they would build one to shoot #60 galvanized screw shanks.   ;D
\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

DanG

Well I wish they would build one that shoots fence staples.  I've been pleased with my Dewalt framer.  I don't use it a whole lot but it sure is handy when I do.  The reason I chose that one is that they have a dealer/rebuilder in Tallahassee.  I've found that I can shoot about 60 nails on my 10 gallon air tank.  That sure makes repairs easier when you don't have power around. :)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

StorminN

I've got a Porter-Cable FR-350 that I've had for a few years and it's served me well. I only use it occasionally (maybe 25,000 nails total so far?) and it only started misfiring once, when I didn't oil it... the piston was not retracting all the way, so the next nail would not fall in line. I put a little oil in it, and it cleared up right away and has been fine since. I like the adjustable depth shoe and the adjustable trigger. However, if I was using a nailer every day, I probably would've bought a Hitachi, all the pros I know swear by them...

-N.
Happiness... is a sharp saw.

Dave Shepard

I've come to a decision.  ::) I'm going to buy a 28° wire weld framing nailer. I'm going to the Toolshed on saturday, and I'll see what they have. On the phone he said he had a couple dozen framers, $50-$200 each. The only nails sold in town are the 28's, and that's what we have at work, so it is simple decision. If I get all fired up and decide I have to have a Paslode cordless someday, so be it, I'll just buy more nails. If money were no object, I think I'd get a Max, as they are very compact, but it would be over $2000 for the compressor and nailer. Oh well. :) Thanks for all the help.

ARKANSAWYER

I have two of the Paslode cordless framers.  THEY ARE GREAT!.  No hose, no compressor, and shoot with out electricty.  I can climb a timber frame and shoot nails into braces with out any trouble.  Shoots from 2 inch to 3 1/2 inch full or clipped heads.  The things do not shoot as fast as a good air nailer when putting down subfloor but you can climb out of the truck and jerk the thing out of the case and shoot a few nails in a loose board on the barn and be gone most quick.  I have had very few problems with mine over the years and have built at least 10 houses with them.
ARKANSAWYER

StorminN

I forgot to add that I recently bought a hanger for my framing nail gun... $15 and it allows me to hang the Porter-Cable from any joist or rafter, even the newer "I" beams (I bought the wider one).

http://www.toolhangers.com/t_nailgunhanger.htm

The very first day I used it, it became my favorite tool accessory... no more hoping the nail gun won't drop off the top of ladder, you just hang it on a joist or on the ladder... no worries... I love it!

-N.
Happiness... is a sharp saw.

Dave Shepard

That's neat. We're always lowering ours by the hose. ::) :D

Dave Shepard

I won myself a Bostich F28WW last week on Ebay. It showed up today. First purchase on Ebay, was a little nervous, but it turned out great. It takes the same nails as we use at work, and they are available locally. There is a hardware store near here that has about a pallet of generic nails that are much cheaper than the Bostich nails. I've gotten good feedback on them, so I'll get a few boxes next time. This nailgun has a rafter hook, tool free depth of drive, and two triggers, bump, or sequential. And it's much lighter than my friends Senco that tried to shoot me. ;D

farmerdoug

Dave,  If you decide to get a Paslode nailer go to a dealer and get a commercial gun.  The homeowners models sold at HD are cheap.  I used a commercial grade Paslode for two years framing houses.  The only problem was maintaince, my boss did not beleive in it.  So when it started acting up he called the dealer and the dealer would clean it at the jobsite.  The boss threw out the manuals so one day when the dealer came by and the boss was not there I had him show me the maintaince procedure.  After that I cleaned them on the weekend and no more problems. ::) ;D
Doug
Truck Farmer/Greenhouse grower
2001 LT40HDD42 Super with Command Control and AccuSet, 42 hp Kubota diesel
Fargo, MI

Dave Shepard

Thanks for the heads up farmerdoug. I found a hardware store near here that has a nailgun guru. ;D He spent some time with me explaining different guns, pros, and cons, and the different nails. He is pretty close, and carries the Paslode nailers. The maintenance is one of the important issues, and also using fresh gas cartridges. He said to toss them if they are more than a year old. This new Bostitch sems to have a couple of neat features the older one at work doesn't have, like the rafter hook and tool free depth adjustment. It also has an adjustable exhaust, which will be nice, now I can point it away from the nooks and crannies of this old house, and won't get blasted by the assorted crud built up over the last couple of centuries. ;D I 'spose a nailgun isn't the most exciting new purchase, but it's going to make this truss project go a lot faster.

Thank You Sponsors!