iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pine straw insulation??

Started by Jayson, December 06, 2008, 10:53:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jayson

Has anyone ever heard it or actually used it? Any idea of r-value? I searched the web a little, and didn't come up with much. Just curious.    thanks

woodbowl

I've never tried it or heard about it, but it seems like it would be as good as hay. Soaked in a vat of solubor would help keep the fire and critters out. I think about moisture lingering, and sagging or compaction over time. Wet fiberglass insulation will even sag after getting wet. Sounds like a good idea, at least for a hunting cabin or workshop and maybe a home if some things could be understood. We know how it lays in the woods. Is that the way in should lay in the wall or should it be fluffed in some way?
Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

Tom

I've seen pine straw burn when a spark hit and I don't want it in my house. 

I'll bet y'all could poke a bunch of it down inside of your pants legs, if you tied a string around your ankles, and fill'em up good, right to the belt.  Then shove a bunch of handfulls down in your shirt and wiggle some around to the back.  It'd keep you warm while you run to the woodpile for more wood to put in the stove.

olyman

Quote from: Tom on December 07, 2008, 06:36:08 PM
I've seen pine straw burn when a spark hit and I don't want it in my house. 

I'll bet y'all could poke a bunch of it down inside of your pants legs, if you tied a string around your ankles, and fill'em up good, right to the belt.  Then shove a bunch of handfulls down in your shirt and wiggle some around to the back.  It'd keep you warm while you run to the woodpile for more wood to put in the stove.
::) ::) ::) there are houses built out of bales of that stuff---inside is done like a reg house--the outside is stuccoed---and as he said--coat the stuff with something so it wont be combustible--wiring and such aint in the bales--said they heat for next to nothing

VT

Jayson

Thanks for the info. The fire fear is real. If I decided to try this in a small shop, I do intend to use solubor or No Char. Love that Mother Earth News. Just threw a box of old issues next the reading throne. If anyone runs into more info, pass it on. I will do the same. Thanks again.

Thank You Sponsors!