iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

It's COLD Outside !!!!!!

Started by DR_Buck, December 06, 2008, 06:36:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DR_Buck

Just went out and started the truck to warm it up.   Thermometer says 16°.  :o    I know it's not the Michigan or Wisconsin class of cold, but this is cold for VA.   

Today is my last scheduled milling job for 2008.     Got about 2000 bf of red oak to saw into flooring.    I thought I was going to freeze to death last night prepping the mill for today.   I had a broken ceramic pad on the blade guide I had to replace and had to add fluid to the hydraulic band tensioner.   

Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

WH_Conley

I agree, got to 16 here night before last. All you yankee's can keep and enjoy all the cold you want. :D :D Gimmee the 50's.
Bill

Banjo picker

Its 28 here this mor.  WH can have the 50 s I will take the 60's if I can't get 70's .  A nice snow every 8 or 10 years is OK, but we had ours last year.   Five inches, and it lasted almost a day.  Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

SwampDonkey

10 F here this morning, going up to 30 by afternoon. Nice little storm brewing tonight. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Tim L

14 degrees this morning in the thriving metropolis of Boscawen NH .
Do the best you can and don't look back

SwampDonkey

You didn't get up early enough, it's 17F  here now already. ;D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

farmerdoug

DR, I thought you said it did not get cold there? ??? :D :D

We are warmer than you, 23°.  Expecting 1-3 inche of snow today too.  The west side of the state is getting hit with alot more snow from lake effect though.
Doug
Truck Farmer/Greenhouse grower
2001 LT40HDD42 Super with Command Control and AccuSet, 42 hp Kubota diesel
Fargo, MI

Lanier_Lurker

We got down to about 24F overnight here.  I just finished my Saturday morning walk and it was still about 30F.  All standing water I saw is frozen.

SamB

14F at 6:30 this morning....no snow on ground, no mud ;D, the no snow on ground is subject to change ;D....not much hope for any warming in the 10 day forcast :(

beenthere

No matter how cold it is, I just think of those north of me that have it colder.... ;D ;D

And I don't envy those south of me that have it warmer....I like having solid ground to walk on (not mud), and cold snow/ice to drive on (not slush), and wood to throw on the fire..

Best winter is for the high of the day to stay below freezing, and little wind, and lots of sun.  8) 8)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Lanier_Lurker

Days where the high stays below freezing are the exception here - but it does happen.

The thaw and re-freeze cycles can indeed make a mess.

zopi

26...fat frost this morning...was up at 0200...was 20...pretty cold fer pjs,,
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

LeeB

It's cold here to, or at least you would think so looking at the locals. They are decked out in jackets, thermals and a couple of layers. It must be at least a fridged 60* at night. :D. I recon desert people don't deal well with cold. Me, I'm wearing short sleeves and try not to break a sweat.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

DanG

It's pretty DanG pleasant outside right now, but we've had some uncommonly cold nights so far this season.  The 24 degrees in Tallahassee on Oct 31 set the alltime State record for the month of October.  We usually get some frost in November, but we had several hard freezes this time...most unusual.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

farmerdoug

Beenthere,  I agree.  Frozen ground and snow is alot easier to skid logs on from the woods too. 8) 8)

But it looks like the people to the south are colder than here.  I think the lakes has something to do with that though.
Doug
Truck Farmer/Greenhouse grower
2001 LT40HDD42 Super with Command Control and AccuSet, 42 hp Kubota diesel
Fargo, MI

beenthere

DanG
Makes Global Warming come to mind... 8) 8) ::) ::) ::)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Tom

It's been cold here too. Dang near in the 30's  on some nights.  I've been sitting in the front yard swing, watching the buzzards play and twitching my bare toes in the heat of the sun.  It feels good.  Makes me want to take a nap.  What time is it anyway?  Hmmm 12:09.   Maybe after dinner.  :)

Warbird

They were saying all that cold we had here last week was heading down to visit you guys.  Us Alaskans are just doing our part to help y'all have a nice, snowy, cheerful Christmas!  ;D

ps.  We've really been enjoying the warmer temps you sent up here (18 F this morning!).  Thanks!  ;)

Paul_H

Our highs have been in the mid to high 30's the past few days with a couple of dips to 30 (F).Our winters are generally mild along the coast but damp.
The lawn is still nice and green and we picked the last of the apples two weeks ago.This is the first year in the last 10 that we could let them ripen on the tree because of the Bears but since we put the the electric fence up in August we have been left alone...other than the odd dog or cat yowling briefly in the night when they discover electricty :D
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

sawguy21

I live not far from Paul. Sure appreciate not having to plug the truck in anymore although we scrape windshields occasionally.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

SwampDonkey

Right now it's 26° F and looking like snow as the day goes on. It'll be dark here in a little over an hour. I've been contouring my woodlot with the GPS, more for an exercise. So far there has only been 4 meters difference in elevation. The high spots are 150 meters ASL and the low spots are 146 meters ASL., pretty flat. I have only run two strips, one in and one back to the road, 100 feet apart.  :D I drove up the road to a high spot to over look a large area of the woodlot. Nice to find a vantage point to overlook your empire. :D  ;)

dolittle

7 degrees above here this morning with a day time high of 23.  We are down to 6 inches of snow due to a warm rain last week.  Only 5-1/2 more months until it starts to warm up.

Larry

The extreme cold is here also.  Must of been almost 35 degrees this morning.  I had to put my long johns just to go fishing.  Fortunately I had my limit caught by 9am so I could get off that frigid lake. ;D

This is the big one of the mess...don't let that sunshine fool you...bet its only 50 degrees or so now. ;D

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

sawguy21

50 in December :o That is pretty DanG nice.  ;D

SwampDonkey

You'll be eating well for awhile at least. That in itself will keep you warm. :D

pigman

That's it Larry, keep showing us those big fish and a bunch of us will just have to go over to your place and have a big fish fry. 8) ;D
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

okmulch

Here in Oklahoma  it is a nice 65 degrees today but we have a strong south wind at about 20 mph gusting to 30 mph.
Rotochopper b66 track, #2 Rotochopper b66 track, woodmizer lt40, CAT 277b, CAT 268b, CAT 287c, CAT 277c, CAT299d2, CAT299d3, CAT 299d3, Volvo 70e,volvo70f, volvo90f

Corley5

Beautiful bright sunny day with a slight breeze and temps around 20F.  Perfect winter weather except for the thigh deep snow cover  ::)  Winter storm warnings are out for tomorrow afternoon thru Wed.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

SwampDonkey

There has been snow in the air since last night this time and there still ain't much more than two inches counting the skiff from the storm before. Rain some time this week again they say. So far, another Winter 2005, crust and ice.  ::) Ice isn't bad yet though. I did see snow buntings today.

Larry

Pigman, that sounds good to me...might have to twist Norm's arm to cookem up for us. 8) 8)

I'm going again in the morning as the weatherman says we may be blessed with some of that white stuff also...want to make sure I have plently of food to outlast a blizzard. ;D
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Dave Shepard

It's getting a bit chilly again. Will be in the teens most nights this coming week. Got an inch of snow this morning and the wind blew it around all day like it was a blizzard.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Chuck White

It's -14° here right now!

Makes me glad I'm done sawing for the season!

Couldn't imagine sawing at this temperature!

Stay warm out there fellas!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

mike_van

Here's the weather this AM from Mt. Washington N.H.
Temperature -19.3°F
Wind 68.2 mph
Direction 314° (NW)
Gust 103.6 mph
Wind Chill -62.7°F
Monday 5:45 AM     

I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

Tim L

6 degrees here -11 degrees with the wind chill
Do the best you can and don't look back

Maineloggerkid

about 2 degrees here with the wind howling. Fun day in the woods. :-\  I don't mind the cold, but the wind drives thru me.
JD 540D cable skidder, and 2 huskies- just right.   

Loggers- Saving the world from the wrath of trees!

SwampDonkey

6 F above here this morning, coldest it's been yet. It's 6 in Caribou Maine to.

isawlogs

-22C here , good icecicle weather .  ;D :D
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

SwampDonkey

Well now it's cold enough that I don't feel like I'm wasting my wood in the shop for fire. So that is where I'm off to. ;D

Dodgy Loner

Got down to 12o here the last week of November.  19o this morning.  This is shaping up to be a cold winter! smiley_sick
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

Warbird

Hey...  who told you guys to send the cold air back up here?  It is -21 F this morning!  I want that 20 above weather back!   smiley_christmas

isawlogs

Weather is supose to turn by the middle of the week and be hoovering around 15C with rain for thursday  ::)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

SwampDonkey

Couple inches of snow coming tomorrow off the Great Lakes, then rain on Wednesday for here with strong winds.

chep

not to scare you or anything, but @ 7:10 this morning it was -10.5 degrees F.
come visit the adirondacks
the sun is shining

SwampDonkey

Sun here to, all day. But windy as well. I stayed in the shop with a fire and now here I am. The government road crew is going to wear out the plow running up and down scraping 1-2" of snow 3 times a day. Well after the first there must be almost none. ::)

dolittle

I had -8 F this morning with -28F windchills.  Warmed up to 1 above but windchills were still -18.  I lasted 1.5 hrs outside (not in wind) moving tractor implements around then stayed indoors all day.

moonhill

I am not sure what the temp, but it was cold.  Raised half a frame by hand with some good help.  Had to bust the trail into the site. Trees bent into the road, heavy with a frozen wet snow.  Parts of downeast, Maine received 12" of snow, here on the coast it changed over to snow later we got 2" of wet heavy snow which is stuck to everything and than the temp dropped.  I am still chilled from the day.  It was a very active day so I was not cold,  it has now caught up it seem.   

Tim
This is a test, please stand by...

thecfarm

Only about 2 inches here of that white stuff.It's 5° here now.I'll be back in 2 days to tell you it's 40°.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

moonhill

Or maybe 56.  All right where do you get the little circle for degrees? I can't find it on my keyboard.

Tim

isawlogs

There is a box above the smileys  that sayes " special characters " clic and it drops down  you will find a whole bunch of new things there  ¢°©®£ §  and more ...

Marcel

sawguy21

Marcel, I know you are cold but it's not THAT bad. ;D

moonhill

-2°F  That was easy.  Thank you, Marcel

Tim

SwampDonkey

0 ° this morning, coldest yet. Going to be 30°F by midnight.  ::) Rain and ice coming.  :-X

Warbird

+9° F here this morning!   8)

timberfaller390

COLD!!! It's not cold. It's 62* here right now, of course it was 30* two days ago.
L.M. Reese Co. Land Management Contractors
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

Thank You Sponsors!