iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What’s better than a telescopic boom loader around the mill?

Started by Bibbyman, December 05, 2008, 04:42:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

beenthere

Let the trucker know that the logs get pushed off if loaded that way, as it is better to let their truck take the hit rather than Mary and her Terex.  :) :)

I've been toying with the idea of a single 'thumb' to clamp down on logs on my forks. Might help the Terex forks too.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Jeff

Years ago I had a very close call unloading 10' aspen logs hauled lengthwise in log bunks using a w-14 case loader. Something we did all the time.  this one was piled high above the stakes.  I started to snake my forks between the logs, a couple down from the top, moving the forks up and down and tipping back and forth to work them into the load without splitting logs as I went.  One of the logs on the far side of the truck at the top of the load somehow spun and shot down at me end first. it was about a 12" diameter.  There was nothing for me to do but watch it rocket toward me. It happened in a moment.  Next thing I new the windshield turned opaque as the safety glass shattered. And that was it.  I opened the door and leaned out to look and saw that about an inch of the log had hit the side post of the windshield and that's what stopped it from coming in the cab.  It dented the frame arounf]d the windshield in over two inches.  If it had been over an inch farther, I would be dead. Mo doubt about it. There was no where to go, no place to duck out of the way, there would be no Forestry Forum.

I had another incident with a skidder that was as close, but that's a different sort of story.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

paul case

those things can happen in a split second. you have to be very careful and sometimes thats not enough either.
i for one am glad that you werent hurt or killed. we kinda like having you around here boss.
and the rest of you guys too.  pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Brucer

Several people have been killed over the years in this area, by shifting logs around in machines that weren't designed for forestry work. People simply don't understand what weird things a log can do when it gets out of control.

We've had a couple of cases where an excavator operator was crushed when trying to unload 50' logs with a bucket/thumb combination. Typically a log gets away, flips up onto the top of the arm, and then rolls down onto the cab. If you look at the log loaders that are made for the job, they're built on an excavator that has a steel cage surrounding the cab. The cage is usually made from 4" square tubing with 5/16 walls. Heavy screen (e.g., 1/4" thick wire) is welded to the  cage to keep stuff from penetrating into the cab.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

customsawyer

Yes and if you look close at those knuckle boom loaders with all the right protection will have dents in most of that protection. I guess the point I am trying to make is that even the equipment that is designed for the job gets tested, so the equipment that is not just getting put on the job will not fair as well.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Bibbyman

For years we used this AGCO 4660 around the mill.  It was always a high risk when unloading a truck.  And when we started getting in the big log trucks, it wouldn't even reach high enough to get to the top of the bunks.  I had bad thoughts about a log that could come down the loader arms into my lap.  :o
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Meadows Miller

I had bad thoughts about a log that could come down the loader arms into my lap.  :o

Gday Paul my Mate i do abit of work for up the road where the mill yard is at his place ;) only just just had that happen to him as he has about 2000 ties+ stacked in his yard and uses a little 35hp kobota with loader with a pair of fork tines that slip into the bucket to sort and shift them around with about 3 months ago i was up there milling and stoped to touch up the saw and heard the kobota revving of its head with the forks up in the air  :o :o :o its the quickest i have over about 250 yards in along time  ;) i got there and he had 5 6x10" x9' tie's on his bloody lap and did not seem to be moving  :o :) :) i got to him and he turned around saying to me just get these #$&(* things off me I flicked the sleepers off him and he was liky as he only got heavy brusing around his hip and one of his legs it took him about a month to get over it  ;) Im still on his back about fitting a proper set of forks or a four post Rops to it to no avail as i have be telling him to do it for about  6 bloody years now  :) :) ??? ??? ::) ::) :( >:(

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

Cedarman

We built a loading dock beside the road that is level with the beds of most trucks.  This makes it so much safer when unloading trucks.  You can see the logs on top and you don't have to raise the forks so high.    We also are able to stuff containers from the end for export by driving the skid steer inside the trailer.  One of the best things we have done around the mill to make things more convenient and safer.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

logwalker

Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

Steve_M

Cedarman,

Any chance of seeing a picture of your loading dock.

Steve

2001 WM Super LT40 Electric and WM Twin Blade Edger, just a part timer custom sawing and cutting salvage logs.

Bibbyman

We got yet another load of logs in today.  Note how the long log is against the top bunks.  It's holding back several other logs above it.  If this log was removed first, the other logs could come down behind it.  I suspect that's about what happened when the log hit the Terex.

I unload the logs above first.  Tough job when it's hard to see over the long log in front.
Sawing since '94

northwoods1

How do you get a long log like that unloaded with your terex? Looks like it would be kind of tricky. Around here every truck you see with that configuration has a loader mounted on that back of the truck and is set up to pull a pup, must not be very far to the mill for your trucker there it doesn;t even look like he is set up to pull a trailer. Those rough terrain fork lifts really are a handy outfit but I am wondering wouldn't it be more cost effective and easier to have an old yard truck with a loader mounted on it for loading and unloading, sorting?

Bibbyman

This logger has a couple of trucks and sometimes does pull a pup.  But they log in our area so it's a short run usually through the hills.  He's only pulled a load w/pup into our place a couple of times. 

He's had trucks with pickers (grapple loader) before and does not like them.  That's one reason we're getting the logs instead of the Amish mills.  Almost everyone dealing with the Amish have pickers so they can unload. 

I don't want to invest in yet another machine – even if it's cheap.  Keeping it up and running would be more of a headache than it'd be worth (for me).
Sawing since '94

northwoods1

Those terexes do look handy its just that it does look like a tricky deal to get a long one off a truck like that! A lot of small mills around here have a small yard truck with a loader that they can unload another truck with, and then they can swing some on themselves as there doing it or right over the truck on to the pile. But you probably lay all the logs out for scaling. No doubt about it loaders can be very handy too :)

weisyboy

god bless america god save the queen god defend new zealand and thank christ for Australia
www.weisssawmilling.com.au
http://www.youtube.com/user/weisyboy?feature=mhee
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000696669814&sk=photos

Bibbyman

If I had the money for one of those,  I wouldn't need to work!   :)
Sawing since '94

terrifictimbersllc

I like the ending.  The "oversize" sign is on the wrong vehicle.  I would get out of there fast too.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

paul case

Quote from: Bibbyman on November 19, 2010, 07:20:43 PM
If I had the money for one of those,  I wouldn't need to work!   :)

i have my own answer for the question ''whats better than a telescoing boom loader around the mill?''.
those terex loaders look like they are handier than a pocket on a shirt. at my mill i use a 580 case industrial with fe loader and i have a couple farm tractors with loaders. one of them actually has a front axle from a 2 ton truck under the front end. it works real good in the woods with those 20'' front tires. not that something new or even used  and made for the job wouldnt work much better, these are paid for and dont owe me much and dont cost much to operate.
i guess what i am trying to say is at my mill what i have works quite well for me. someone else might tell me exactly how much quicker and better newer, better suited equipment would work for me. they may be right but while i am trying to get started and get out of debt i will probably not experience the joy of being able to move a bunlde of 20 ties  or a 42'' diameter 10' log without special measures.
i will try to post some pictures of my loading equipment for you fellas.
what i have works well for what i am doing. pc
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
pc

paul case

580 case

dads 460 farmall with duall loader and custom hd front axle

probably not as user friendly as bibb's terex's but we get the job done.  pc
pc

WH_Conley

Paul, you might want to think about putting some kind of arms or something at the swivel point of the loader frame. More than one person has had a log or roll bale of hay sitting in their lap because of loaders with no protection at all.
Bill

Thank You Sponsors!