iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What’s better than a telescopic boom loader around the mill?

Started by Bibbyman, December 05, 2008, 04:42:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bibbyman

TWO telescopic boom loaders around the mill! 8)

I mentioned a couple of times here on the Forum that we had our Terex TX51-19 in the shop to get a broken pin and mounting fixed.  Deer season and Thanksgiving got in the way of getting it fixed and returned in a timely manor. 

While we were without a loader, we did some serious thinking about getting another machine that could unload log trucks.  We have the AGCO 4660 farm tractor with loader but it will not reach high enough to unload log trucks.  Even if it could, it would be overworking it and dangerous. 

Our first thought was to find a well used bargain loader just for such times.  The more I searched the markets for one, the more I got to thinking I didn't want one that we only used as a fallback.  Likely when I needed it,  I'd have to work on it.  And, many of the older wheel loaders won't lift high enough to unload log trucks with high bunks.

So the idea evolved that we'd look for a bigger, newer loader and retire the tractor from the sawmill.  In my search,  I came across this Terex TX6622.  It was a 2005 model with 870 hours.  I thought it about the same as our TX5119 except for a few items that were "super-sized".  I was wrong.  This machine, although very similar to our 5119, is bigger in every area. 

The pictures of the TX6622 on the MachineTrader web site made it look nearly as new.  The best surprise was that it appeared to be priced well under market value.   We called the owner – Great Plaines Rental in Ardmore, OK – and talked to them.  Everything we wanted to hear.  So last Monday Mary and I drove down to Ardmore and looked at the machine.  I was impressed with the machine and how the company kept all their equipment on the lot,  I almost felt bad making them a low offer.  I was again surprised that they came back with a counter offer that was more than half way to my offer.  The deal was done.  We staid overnight in Ardmore and then came back the next morning to do the paper work.  They were able to deliver it on Thursday at sundown.

We got our small Terex back early this afternoon.  WE FEEL RICH!

We're not much on naming equipment but in this case we have two.  So far T1 for the little one and T2 for the big one.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

logwalker

Nice piece, Bibby. How far will it reach and what are load limits? Joe
Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

Todd

Congrats on the new equipment!  You're getting into some real machinery with that new Terex.  (I'm gonna go back out and look at my forklift and pout now :'()   ;D
Making somthing idiot-proof only leads to the creation of bigger idiots!

beenthere

Nice Bibby

Are they His and Hers, or Hers-1 and Hers-2... ??? ???
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

ely

congrats on the new acqusition, bibster. had i been in town then you would have only been 90 miles from me. as it was you missed me by nearly 500 or so. maybe next time.

Meadows Miller

Gday

Bibby Its good to see Lil Terry coming home and and its great to see he has got his Big brother t o play with now  ;) :D ;D 8) Now you have one for logs and one for sawn timber  ;) ;D 8)

Congrats on the new purchase Bibby and Mary  ;) ;D  8)

You Know whats going to happen now Bigger logs No Problem  :D going by the pics of what Lil terry was  lifting you will be able to handel preety much any thing with the new one ;D

Reguards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

Tim L

Do the best you can and don't look back

footer

Ironwood

Looks like you do like to have a spare!!! ;D :D

Respectfully (although smiling), Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

stonebroke

Bibbyman, Do you ever use a bucket on them? They are being sold to farmers as a do anything machine.

Stonebroke

Bibbyman

Quote from: stonebroke on December 05, 2008, 08:27:07 PM
Bibbyman, Do you ever use a bucket on them? They are being sold to farmers as a do anything machine.

Stonebroke

Yea, we have a big 8' wide bucket for the TX5119.  The TX5119 has a skidsteer interface tool bar.  The TX6622 has a Terex tool bar so the bucket we have won't fit as is on our bigger Terex. 

BUT!  When we ordered our TX5119 we ordered it with the skidsteer interface.  At the same time we bought forks and bucket.  When the Terex came in, it had the Terex toolbar.  The skidsteer tool bar would not be avilable for two months.  We refuesed to pay for the machine until they could deliver it ready to use.  So the dealer took a skidsteer tool bar and adapted it to the Terex toolbar.  We used it like that for two months then the dealer got in the factory skidsteer toolbar and came out and switched out the adapted one.  They just left the old Terex toolbar with the adapted interface.  SO!  Now we have a skidsteer tool bar adapter we can use on the bigger Terex so we can use the bucket we have.
Sawing since '94

Tim L

Bibbyman

One thing we learned early on was that a large part of sawmill operation was material handling. We've put almost 4,000 hours on our LT40 Super in the past 6 years.  In respective we have put over 2,000 hours on the Terex in past 4 with probably an additional 500 on the AGCO tractor. 

I think both machines will have their uses.  The smaller one is more nimble with quicker response and will probably use less fuel. And it has a heated glas cab – something nice this time of year.  But we've overused it often.  The bigger Terex will handle the heavier loads much easier.

Sawing since '94

zopi

He who dies with most toys wins....Bibby is ahead...

Drive that sucker down here tonight and load that wet 28" 17' log I've got to cut tomorrow...know how much fun that is on an LT-15? :D

Merry Christmas!
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

thecfarm

We got 2 tractors,big tractor,small tractor,works for us.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Bibbyman

Quote from: logwalker on December 05, 2008, 04:50:06 PM
Nice piece, Bibby. How far will it reach and what are load limits? Joe

It will lift to 22'.  I've not looked up the extention specs but I'm thinking 10' reach.  It's rated at 6,600 at the center of the forks with the boom pulled in and something like 3,000 out at full extension.
Sawing since '94

Tim L

I have an old 1975 IH 3500 backhoe , the old girl has done some good work for me  but were not getting any younger and I would like a new store bought tractor  with a heated cab.But alas it's not on the horizon less I sell my body every day in town . At a dollar a week its gonna take awhile to raise the money !

Hi-Country Orange

CLL

Congrats Bibby and Mary, just one question, will it unload cedar logs in sedalia. ;D
Too much work-not enough pay.

Bibbyman

Quote from: Hi-Country Orange on December 05, 2008, 09:51:51 PM
Bibby & Mary  are you going to paint it Orange 8) 8)

I guess we should.  We spent some money we had intended to use to upgrade our Wood-Mizer.  But we were waiting for out old WM to wear out.  It just don't act like it's going to so we thought we'd put that old moldy money to good use.
Sawing since '94

bandmiller2

Bibster,your in tall clover now,kinda wants to make you go out and shuffle the log pile.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

stonebroke

Have you ever thought about getting a grapple for it?

Stonebroke

underdog

That is great news.
It is good to hear someone is able to take advantage of the present market.
Are you going to have to build more shed to park them all in?

Bibbyman

Quote from: stonebroke on December 06, 2008, 08:21:34 AM
Have you ever thought about getting a grapple for it?

Stonebroke

We have a Lund grapple with a skidsteer interface. I could mount it on the new(er) Terex with a toolbar adapter I have.
Sawing since '94

pineywoods

What's better than telescoping boom loader ?  TWO of em.  Congratulations...I keep looking at them machines and wondering if they wouldn't make a pretty good skidder :-\
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Thank You Sponsors!