iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

gol

Started by vtbuckslayer, December 05, 2008, 01:09:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vtbuckslayer

I just completed the third level of four for game of logging.  What is peoples take on these courses and do they really make that much of a difference in how much you get paid and if you get a job?  I kno some insurances will gives breaks for people who show proof of this.  My own personal experience is that its pretty helpful i learned some new things and enjoyed the course.  just looking for some input..
ms 390 20", ms 441 24"
00 big bear 4x4(lots of extras)
98 polaris indy triple
98 gmc k 1500 4x4

Craig

If I were hiring a chopper I would take someone who has completed gol over someone who has not. I took it a few years back and that is how I cut. It shows a commitment to your craft. As far as pay I would have to see the person work first, just because you took a course doesn't mean your good either.

Craig
Craig Martin
C.S. Martin Forest Contracting
Life, Liberty and Justice For All.
(This includes Americans)

thecfarm

Good for you on taking the courses.I feel if you was to be looking for a job,I would want it under my belt.Money wise,I kinda doubt it.When all that got started there was talk about the paper mills paying more if you was certified.  ::)  That part got forgetting real quick. It's a nice course to take.GOL offers the safe way to stay alive in the woods.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Ed_K

I believe in the course,probably saved my life. I would require it for anyone I hired or offer to pay for the classes then hire them for cutting timber. I'd want it even for a skidder or forwarder operator just so they can work better.
Ed K

zackman1801

ive heard the same thing, that paper mills will take more and pay more from GOL certified cutters, dont know if its true though. Its a nice course, i hope to take it soon, but i have to wait untill im 18 to be completely certified. what they teach us in our forestry class is all GOL stuff. both my teachers have taken and completed the class and gotten their CLP cert. also. seems like a bonus to get you hired easier, but then again nothing can replace experience.
"Improvise, Adapt, OVERCOME!"
Husky 365sp 20" bar

Maineloggerkid

I look at GOL as benifiting me more on a personal level than for hiring purposes. Employers like Certs., but I find more comfort in knowing I can do the job safely and effeciently.

I have completed the CLP course ( except my feild inspection- soon to come) and I plan on going to the local GOL next year. In Maine we have Forest Heratige Days in Greenville once a year.
JD 540D cable skidder, and 2 huskies- just right.   

Loggers- Saving the world from the wrath of trees!

Ron Scott

I certainly agree with its being a personal benifit to anyone wanting to make a living in the woods with a chain saw. I recommend and prefer that all my contract loggers working with chain saws have had it. Their skills are well recognized when I visit the jobs. 
~Ron

John Mc

GOL may not affect the level of your pay, but at least it increases the chances you'll be around to collect your paycheck.

Being able to drop a tree exactly where you want it is a big part of working efficiently and minimizing residual stand damage (both in felling and when those trees are later skidded out).

I'm just a weekend warrior, but taking GOL has certainly helped me. I'm planning on being around to see my kids grow up, and having full use of all my limbs while doing so. I started out thinking I'd just go through level one, and was so impressed, I took levels 2 and 3. I'll take level 4 as soon as it's offered in my area.

Another thing I noticed: my friend is in better shape than me, and has many more years experience in running a chainsaw. I try to use the techniques taught in GOL for limbing. I've noticed when starting out the day, he kicks my a$$ in the time it takes him to limb the first tree or two. By the end of the day, I'm beating him, despite his experience and condition. I think this is due to applying the techniques of GOL - working efficiently lets me keep up the pace longer. I also think this keeps me safer, since fatigue is a major cause of accidents.

John
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Craig

Dis yooper wondering why everyone is saying dis yooper? :D
Craig Martin
C.S. Martin Forest Contracting
Life, Liberty and Justice For All.
(This includes Americans)

Roxie

I can't believe I missed Yooper night!   :-\
Say when

SwampDonkey

I have not taken the course and I don't know exactly what the equivalent name would be here other than Certified Logger. From what I here it is a requirement to work for Industrial Forestry. Don't expect more $$/cord for your wood though. I believe in a lot of areas your wage is based on production. What loggers have told me over the years, as your production goes up, the company rate drops. Kind of a half @$$ way to reward someones effort. Like requiring certified wood, but no price top up for a world class job of supplying your buyer with his wood. None-the-less, it is good to take the course if you have the opportunity and if your serious about making a living at logging. Do what ever it takes to look after yourself and work safely.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Corley5

I'd love to take the course but it's never offered up here  ::) :(
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Thank You Sponsors!