iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Fransgard V-2600 winch question

Started by jason.weir, December 04, 2008, 07:29:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jason.weir

I just picked up a well used Fransgard V-2600 for a good price and it seems to be missing a bearing cover of some sort - I hope that someone has a 2600 or similar model and can tell or show me whats missing.

What you can see here is the lower shaft that the PTO shaft connects to, it protrudes through the plate on the log side, you also can plainly see the bearing visible with no grease and no protection from the elements.  Any idea what should have covered this?

Next question, is Fransgard still in business and any chance there are parts available?

Thanks,
Jason

Maineloggerkid

I have a brand new v-4000, and what you are missing is a little metal cover. It just goes on over than whole peice, I belive. I can check better in the morning as to how it is attached. I would just find a local  dealer and order the peice, or find a junk model to scarf it from.
JD 540D cable skidder, and 2 huskies- just right.   

Loggers- Saving the world from the wrath of trees!

jason.weir

Something like a wheel bearing cap?  That was what I was imagining.

-Jason

Maineloggerkid

IT pretty thick metal. Made to withstand some impacts. THe edges are rounded.
JD 540D cable skidder, and 2 huskies- just right.   

Loggers- Saving the world from the wrath of trees!

jason.weir

Anyone know where a dealer local to NH is?

-J

thecfarm

I know Union,Maine has them.But that is not local to you.But they are only a phone call away if all else fails.Try a google search on Fransgard.Probaly other dealers are closer. Good luck.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

jason.weir

I just contacted Union Farm Equipment as well as the parent company in Denmark, hopefully I can get a parts manual as well as a source of parts.  Not much availiable online - Google is always my first stop and they just don't seem to have much of an online presence..

Am I missing the fact that one of our sponsors might carry Fransgard??

-J

thecfarm

What I meant by goggle,was do a search for a Fransgard dealer closer to you.I have a Norse winch and used it hard for 10 years and the other 5 years has ben alot easier for it.I have had no problems at all with it.I doubt you will have problems with yours once you find that cover.Any way you could build one out of 3/8 steel?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

jason.weir

I 'll build one if that's what I have to but of course I'd rather have the right piece.  Plus I'm going to need a few other small pieces parts so a local (or internet) dealer would be great. 

One thing I am going to build is some kind of blade, this model has just the 2 stiff legs and the Wallenstein I used had the skidder blade on it which I loved.

I'll get some more pictures up so you can see the whole thing, although it looks very much like the other makes..

-J

pineywoods

Looks to me like a perfect excuse to obtain a lathe ;D
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

jason.weir

It doesn't take much of an excuse for me to acquire more tools. ;D  Hence I've already got a South Bend.  Just need to build a 3ph converter to run it with or replace the motor with a 220 unit.  Either way it looks like new bearings are in store for the winch along with some kind of new bearing cover.

-Jason   

Tim L

you just got a tractor supply in your neighborhood ,can they help ?
Do the best you can and don't look back

jason.weir

Tim,

That place is great!  Quickly becoming the first place I stop.  They are having an open house tomorrow maybe I'll stop by...

-J

Tim L

maybe I'll swing by there, I'm not that far away.

Ed_K

On the 2600 I had there was a plate over it that bolted to the chain bar. It was loose most of the time. You can build a cover better than the original. Add a grease fitting but make sure its protected or use the inverted type like on 4x4 front u joints.
Ed K

thecfarm

jason,I to would put a blade on that winch.I have a blade on mine and that has done a few strange things on me.I can only imagiine what it would do with only 2 legs that hit the ground.

snowman

I have that same winch. Works great but when I needed a part I was told, "sorry, we don't make parts for that anymore". That makes me think, my next winch will not be a fransgard. It's rediculous not to make parts for your older products.The pic of the missing plate and the dry bearing has me thinking though, when I get back on the job Monday I'll look at mine and try to get some lube in there. Fransgard owners manual which they did promptly send me after I bought a used one, never mentions lubing it.

Tim L

Jason,

I checked out Tractor Supply today. I'll be going back some other time ,today the place was packed.

John Mc

I'm not a fan of the "two leg" models either. I like the blade. The only advantage I can see for the two legs is that it's easier to hook a trailer to your tractors draw bar (my 3 pt hitch goes up enough to lift the blade over the trailer's tongue, but there is not a whole lot of clearance - works on smooth roads, but I would not want to try it in the woods)
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

jason.weir

I received a response from Union Equipment in Maine, they indicated that there was no plate covering the bearing but instead the bearing was of the permanently sealed type.  They also faxed my a copy of the parts breakdown which verifies that the bearing(s) I need is are standard off the shelf 6207-2RS bearing $9.95 each and on their way from the bearing house (FYI - they quoted me $67.05 apiece from the dealer)..

I ordered them here.
http://www.vxb.com/page/bearings/PROD/Kit316

For those interested the parts breakdown is available here
http://www.yankeeinfluences.com/sawmill/fransgard_2600.pdf

I did get the shaft out and got a good look at the bearings and how its put together.

Pretty simple construction 2 bearings a shaft and a spacer.  I will come up with something to protect the bearing on the log side of the winch, if nothing else just a steel plate to protect the seals.  It seems that because they used sealed bearings which makes them non-greasable, replacing these is probably a maintenance items and should be done every so often.  They used the same bearings in 4 other places on the winch so kudos to them for using off the shelf parts and keeping the parts list to a minimum.

I do still have a couple more questions for those who have one of these winches.

1.  In the third picture you can see the chain tensioner, should there be some kind of plastic runner that rides against the chain and not just steel on steel?  The parts breakdown doesn't list anything that I can see.  Any ideas on something I could use?

2.  How about some ideas on constructing a blade for this thing.  My first thought was cut down and old snow plow and use that, but the other winches I've seen are much heavier duty than a snow plow.  I've got the tools - plasma cutter, torch and welder, lets hear some ideas.  I want to come up with something that not only functions well but doesn't look all cobbled together.

Thanks,
-Jason

thecfarm

Since you're going to remove the legs,I would make a hinged butt blade.I have one on my Norse winch.Labonville is the only dealer now,that has them to look at.I would go there and see how it is put together.It's made so I can remove 2 pins and it will hinge or put the pins back in and it will be rigid.When backing up with the tractor the butt plate comes up against the winch and I can push with it.But If I go across a stump or a rock the butt plate will hinge over the obstacle so I won't get hung up on it.Also comes in handy when I want to use a trailer.I winch up the butt plate and I'm all set with the trailer.My butt plate is kinda a wedge shape and make out of ΒΌ inch steel.

jason.weir

I've got some more info on the V-2600.

Fransgard responded back to me with the full owners manual.  I've posted it here

http://www.yankeeinfluences.com/sawmill/V-2600.pdf

They also indicated that they last made the 2600 in 1990 and still carry spare parts for it.  Although many of the part numbers have changed and might need some translation.  Snowman - you might contact Jorgen Fransgard jf@fransgard.dk regarding parts - his email indicated he is the President of Fransgard

Their US distributor is www.jswoodhouse.com in Mass, and the NH dealer is T&T Power Equipment in Concord (just a mile from work - what luck).

Hopefully this info will help someone else going through this process.

I'll post some more pictures when I get further along with the repair and blade fab process.

-Jason

Ed_K

On the tensioner,it rides on the chain no plastic. the chain is a roller type so the links just roll over the tensioner. I had to replace the chain about every 1000 hrs. I was going to weld a grader blade to the bottom of mine,but sold it to Captain. I replaced it with a Tajfun 9k# check out the butt plate on these. I really like the 45 deg tilt. When i pull up a log to it and lift the log ride on the plate and dosen't seem to pull tight when going over a hill.
Ed K

Bret4207

FWIW on the chain tensioner. Not sure how much room you have but I used a piece of oak to make a tensioner on a manure spreader I had. I'll bet PVC would work too. Just a thought.

jason.weir

Thanks guys - I see how the roller chain will roll over the tensioner - I know my old Harley has a hard plastic runner on the primary chain tensioner I may take a look and see if it is something I can use.

I got the new bearings installed, but unfortunately broke the bolt at the end of the pto shaft because I was not aware it was LH thread.  A little heat, an easy out and finally a tap got the piece out of the end of the shaft.  The only place I could find a 3/8-16x3/4" LH thread bolt was the local Fastenal to the tune of $18.00 ouch...

Still to do:
controls
bearing cover
lower cable pulley
2" receiver hitch
blade
additional hooks for chains\tools\saw
and if I get ambitious, sand blast and paint job

then the real work - I have to use it.

Here are some more pictures

-Jason

Thank You Sponsors!