iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

IE issues when posting

Started by brdmkr, December 03, 2008, 09:04:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brdmkr

I got a new computer.  The old one was making squealing noises and that was enough to convince us to move quick ;D

Anyway, I can tell that I don't much like Vista and I think I am going to have to get my Firefox back for a browser.  I thought I would give the new IE a try, and I have noticed some strange behavior when posting here.  If I hit 'post' after typing the message it just hangs up.  If I back out using the back out thingy, I find that the post went through fine.  If I 'preview' and then 'post', everything works fine.  Any of y'all notice this quirk?
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

LeeB

Yep. I don't think Vista has anything to do with it though. There's a thread about it in the About this forum board.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

beenthere

Yup...we notice that quirk. Seems just with FF too, for some reason. ??

Didn't notice a pattern when Previewing first, but will pay attention.

Must have to do with feedback, as the post always goes through and is immediate, not delayed.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Jeff

Beardmarker, ;)

I just had a flash of an idea when you talked about backing out what might possibly cause  something. I just removed something that was part of the website template as a test.  Can you do a couple posts here and see if its different now?
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Rocky_J

Testing.

My browser hangs up about every 7th-8th post, same as the others. I never noticed it until I changed my preferences to show my post after posting, instead of returning me to the forum page.

(it worked fine here, and seemed quicker than before)

Reddog

Might as well test this out. Mine hangs some times also.

Edit: Work fine, quicker than most other times.

sawdust

I have the same thing happen using Safari on my Mac.

david
comforting the afflicted and afflicting the comfortable.

beenthere

Give Jeff just a little bit of information, and he will dig out the problem.
Will check it out.  ;D

worked ok, but not particularly faster.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Warbird

I notice this quirk, too.  Testing.  Will test from work tomorrow, as I notice it there as well.

*edit* No problems.  Once posting process started, seemed much quicker.  Will post here if it happens again.

Radar67

Has anyone notice it hang up while sending a PM?
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

beenthere

Yes, have in the past...about as often as with posting messages on threads.

Will speak up if it happens again.
south central Wisconsin

Jeff

Thats where I notice it myself, mostly, sending a message. I have not noticed it YET since my adjustment.

Ron Wenrich

My Firefox just hung up.  It goes through, but it doesn't come back to the forum. 

Edit:  This one went through right away.  The last one was from the Alternatives board, and this one from the General board.  The time difference between the two posts was about 15 seconds.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Jeff

If it isn't the code I messed with, my earlier thoughts on this were the forum servers host's firewalls. I know that whenever there has been a denial of service attack on that network, they tighten things up and it seems, at least to me, that translates in stalls here. Its almost never the data posted, but the data being sent back from the server after the post has been made that seems to get interrupted. I would think that is backwards of what a firewall issue would be.

moonhill

I am not sure if this is the same issue but I have problems posting 60% of the time.  I think it is my server they have been up grading and had some issues.  It happens more here on the FF.  I have to open a new window and copy my post to the new page and it goes through every time.  I will see how this goes this time.

Tim

It went faster than normal.
This is a test, please stand by...

SwampDonkey

Mine hangs quite often, the post goes through. When I hit the back button I get a message that has a link to go back to my post window, then I hit the topic link and it goes to the thread with my recent post in view. Sometimes I get bumped off the website with a message that says it could not be found.

[edit] This post went through without delay.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

isawlogs

Here I had more issues with messages then post , then again I send out way more messages then I do post .  ;)

Edit :  I just sent my first IM that I did not need to use the back button in a long time .  ;)   
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

york

ok,what to heck,

just testing-just put XP pro on this puter and firefox-will not use IE...

bert

works fine..you should give firefox 3 a try...
Albert

Dodgy Loner

I always seemed to have trouble when it took more than a couple of minutes to write my post.  I never noticed the problem when I was just typing a quick response.  I'll wait a minute or two before I post this to see if it hangs up.

Edit:  The post went straight through!  Don't want to jinx it, but I think you may have the problem solved, Jeff! :)
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

Warbird

Have posted a few messages now, since you made the change, Jeff.  Haven't noticed any hang ups.  I'd usually get at least 1 by now.  What did you change, cause it certainly seemed to work for me.  I also notice the faster posting, as others have mentioned.  Thanks for figuring it out!  As always, you and the Admins here are much appreciated.

beenthere

Just had a hang-up. Looked quickly at FF in another window, and it posted immediately. Just the return message said couldn't make a connection.
south central Wisconsin

Jeff

Well, I remembered that after our google ads were sabotaged and the google code was still in there, that it created much the same problem but at a massive scale, not just intermittent like it has been. If you tried to use the back button you really had a problem. That made me think that the separate google analytics code might be the culprit. I can't remember if I installed that prior to any problems, or what, but it was worth the effort to try and remove it and see if that helped.  So far I have not had any of the hang-ons that I had been having either, but I'm not ready to say that was the problem. I hope it was, because thats an easy fix just to dump it, but there have been times when things seemed smooth while the code was in there as well.

I could guess that if the page load was dependent on sending google info, and there was a hesitation on their end, certain functions on this end might time out, or some sort of gobbilygook like that. :D  Anyways, we will see.

That "we will see" comes from a movie I watched last week called Charlie Wilson's War. If anyone has watched it, they may remember the "Thats good" "Thats bad"  "We will see" dialog.  :)

brdmkr

Jeff,

I am on lunch break now and do not have access to the newer version of IE.  I seldom have problems when posting from my work computer and I did not have problems with the old home computer.  It seems to only occur with the new machine.  I'll give it another test when I get home.

Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

Jeff

SwampDonkey

I haven't seen that movie yet, waiting until it goes under $10 at Wal-Mart. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!