iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Replacement Parts (STIHL)

Started by waorgany, December 03, 2008, 04:43:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

waorgany

Does anyone know if there is a place to order replacement parts on line for STIHL saws? I had a missfortune with and log and my front handle, and it needs to be replaced? I figured that the dealer would have to order this part so it would be just as easy to do so myself and have it sent to the house and safe of some gas to them. Thanks.

kenneth

Baileys does. Madsens might as well.Good luck

rebocardo

For used parts E-Bay is a good choice.

zackman1801

could always check with the dealer to see if he might have it in stock on the off chance.
baileys has them online. ive heard that OEM is the way to go, dont buy aftermarket front handles alot of cutters say they bend and get misshaped easily.
"Improvise, Adapt, OVERCOME!"
Husky 365sp 20" bar

MartyParsons

If you send me a PM I can get you the correct STIHL  part # you are looking for. I am not sure how far you are from PA. STIHL INC. does not like internet sales from dealers so I dont think you will find parts in the US. I do see some Canada dealers have sites but you needed a password to enter. ?
Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

Al_Smith

It is in fact against the policy of the Stihl corperation to sell parts or equipment on line .Just the way it is .

Baileys does have some after market parts that I have no problem using but some "purists " frown on that .Whatever ,they work just don't cost as much .

KyMasterLogger

Rocky_J

eBay sucks and is not a viable option for most people. Too many scammers, too much vulnerability because you have to give up too much info to register (including allowing PayPal access to your checking account). There are no deals on eBay any more. I'm sure there are a few good dealers left but it's not worth trying to wade through all the scammers. If a seller is legitimate then I'll deal with him outside of eBay. If he doesn't have an outside contact then I'll just deal with Bailey's or some other legitimate business.

Al_Smith

Most Stihl parts I get from E-bay are rather old and usually out of stock stuff .I refuse to use Pay Pal . Usually Stihl stuff sells for about half of what a dealer charges but not always .You had better have an idea what parts you are buying before you bid because you might just get surprised when they aren't the correct ones .

My suggestion, if you don't know your way around the saw you would save yourself a lot of grief by just going to a dealer .If the dealer  is less than desirable to deal with just find another one .

John Mc

Quote from: Rocky_J on December 06, 2008, 03:06:13 PM
eBay sucks and is not a viable option for most people. Too many scammers, too much vulnerability because you have to give up too much info to register (including allowing PayPal access to your checking account).

I never gave PayPal my checking account number. I did give a credit card number, but the card company gives you some good protection there. I think not giving them my bank account info may mean I've got a low limit on what PayPal will let me spend, but it hasn't been an issue so far. The largest purchase I made was $450, and it went through with no problem.

QuoteThere are no deals on eBay any more. I'm sure there are a few good dealers left but it's not worth trying to wade through all the scammers. If a seller is legitimate then I'll deal with him outside of eBay. If he doesn't have an outside contact then I'll just deal with Bailey's or some other legitimate business.

It certainly seems there are are as many scammers and poor deals (stuff I can buy cheaper at the local hardware store). On the other hand, I just picked up a Clarke MIG welder in almost new condition for a less than half what it would have run me new... Now I've just got to get a lot better at using it!

John Mc
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Al_Smith

E-bay is about like any auction except you don't see who you are bidding against and you take a chance of getting hosed by the seller .Either way ,real live auction or on-line it's a buyer beware situation .

woodsrunner

I agree ebay is a risky place to do business for the uninformed. However, I have actually had very good luck with my ebay purchases. I try to do my homework on exactly what it is I'm trying to find/buy. Usually it is something that is unusual or hard to find locally. I have found with chainsaws almost all of the saws on ebay are waaaay overpriced. It seems like some folks don't even know what new retail prices are for a saw!!! I know you are looking for parts and for  parts that aren't moving parts like a handle or a something you can do OK.
MY rules for ebay purchasing are:
Do your homework and know exactly what you think you want to buy.
Know what retail price for a new item is.
Watch ebay for awhile and see what your chosen item typically sells for, then compare that to retail price.
Check out the photos of the item. It will probably look worse in person than the photos look on ebay.
Check out the sellers feedback. If they don't have at least 98% positive forget it.
I learned along time ago when I was farming and would go to a farm auction you have to know what your spending limits are or you will get yourself in trouble. Be prepared to stop and walk away. Like I said I have had good luck with ebay, but, you have to shop/bid/buy with alot of caution.

DouginUtah

Do you guys realize that every time you write a check to someone you are giving them your bank account number? Is everyone you give a check to more honest than PayPal? How do you know that?

I don't see any reason not to give PayPal my bank account number. It is an account with under $500 however.  :D
-----

Now for my question....
If I make a purchase using PayPal for $100 and I only have $80 in my PayPal account will they automatically take the balance out of my checking account or do I have to transfer the difference to my account before the transaction will go through?

I haven't used PayPal for anything other than yearly newsletter subscriptions (Windows Secrets, Neat Net Tricks, etc.) for quite a while and don't recall just how things work now when the purchase exceeds the balance in the PayPal account.
-Doug
When you hang around with good people, good things happen. -Darrell Waltrip

There is no need to say 'unleaded regular gas'. It's all unleaded. Just say 'regular gas'. It's not the 70s anymore. (At least that's what my wife tells me.)

---

Al_Smith

Do as you like if you trust the system of which I don't .I pony up the 90 cents for a US postal money order .Only on several occasions have I had to explain mail fraud to an E-Bay seller .Funny ,they always seemed to see things my way after that bit of information exchange . :D

Rocky_J

Even you guys touting the benefits of eBay have to admit that it's not a good deal or a safe place for the casual shopper. If somebody only wants to quickly buy one simple item, immersing himself into the eBay 'experience' for a month to learn the ins and outs isn't a viable option. And even then, he can still get ripped off with little or no recourse.

Telling somebody to go shop for parts on eBay is like telling somebody to go buy watches on the street corner. I'd rather deal with a legitimate business on a legitimate format. eBay is not legitimate in my opinion because they do so little to stop the scammers.

beenthere

Rocky
I've not had any problems buying off eBay. True, maybe just "not yet".

But it may be the things I buy.

Bought a handle for my 041 Stihl for a good price, when it was unavailable through Stihl.

So, it is buyer beware. And I'm not gullible enough to think it is completely safe.

I've no reason to run it down, however.  :)

Also, I won't use PayPal. Only send a Bank money order.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Al_Smith

I'm not neccessarily touting it but so far 99 percent of the time it's worked for me .

I think you should look before you leap though .Depends on what it is and in my case it's not just chainsaw parts .

You have to first know exactly what you are buying  and know about what it should be worth . Check the sellers profile ,see if there are any negative reports and who made them ,that can be misleading also .Some people sell under about a half dozen names too ,beware of that .Check it all out .

Sure I have one Stihl dealer I deal with ,a good one too .However some of the rather old stuff I have is out of stock because of the age .A guy kind of  runs out of choices then . For example try buying parts for an 048 sometime  from a dealer .Scant few available . .

Red 93 L1 #3383

I've bought many things on E-Bay & so far so good.  I use Paypal on most transactions & Paypal has my CC & checking info.  I feel my checking account number & cc numbers are safer with Paypal than w/ the seller.  I also find electronic fund transfer to be safer than the USPS, they "misplaced" my insurance check for 14 days ( mailed on 11/4, arrived 11/18 ), the replacement check took two days ( mailed on 11/17, arrived 11/19 ) not to mention many other things that "were mailed out" luckly most of those things were of little importance & easily remailed out.  As with all auctions "Buyer Beware"  & you have to know what you are looking for, what they cost new, are they still available new, how much is it worth to you...  My little brother got taken to the cleaners on a "Built"2.2L Turbo engine for his '91 Ford Probe GT.  We didn't realize how bad he got screwed until he blew the head gasket at low boost shortly after swapping in the "built" motor.  The guy reringed a stocker & did a little "porting" & claimed it as a "built" race motor ( forged rods, forged pistons w/ low friction coating on skirt & ceramic coating on top, reground cam, race ported head, premium gaskets... ).  This wasen't a E-Bay buy but, a Probe Talk private seller.
Stihl's: 2-064AV's, 020T, MS 310
'93 Ford F-150 Lightning, '94 F-150 4x4, '92 F-150 4x4 '80 F-150 EFI 7.5L, '04 Expedition (Wife's)

waorgany

Thanks for all the help, I could not find what I needed on ebay, i ahve no problem using ebay I have always had good luck buying/selling on there. Cee Bailieys did not have it either and could not get it so i went through the dealer and am still waiting for it to arrive...I have wood I need to get cut and has been almost two weeks, the weather is warm and raining now, not better time..still waiting..Thanks again for all the help all the best.

GASoline71

That hhas to suck to wait for parts like that.

My dealer has most Stihl parts for saws up to 25 years old on the shelf.  But I live in loggin' county and the dealer supports the local loggin' operations...

If they don't have it on the shelf, they can usually have it to me in less than 2 days.  Most times it's the next afternoon.   :)

Gary
\"...if ya mess with the bull... ya gets the horn.\"

mike_van

On ebay, you want to search all the sellers stores too, not just the auction items. Ebay express I believe they call it. These are all 'buy it now' items, there's no bidding, etc involved. People like cbaileybg, cheapstihlparts, retoocs555, asc_auto_parts - these and others have been on ebay for years, I've bought from all of them &  had good luck too.   Looking for a few Homelite parts, ebay express had 4200 items come up, you can narrow the search by excluding words, models numbers, etc.   On about page 20 I found the new set of rings I needed for an XL 400, buy it now for 12.00 - These were probably made in 1970 or so, where else you going to find them? 
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

GASoline71

Quote from: mike_van on December 18, 2008, 04:41:11 PM
People like cbaileybg, cheapstihlparts, retoocs555... 

These are the best guys on ebay for saw parts IMO... :)

Gary

Reddog

Hi Gasoline71,
Welcome to the FF. :)

GASoline71

Rocky_J

Hey Gary! Glad you finally showed up.  8)

Thank You Sponsors!