iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tractor weights

Started by OneWithWood, December 01, 2008, 11:13:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OneWithWood

I need to add weight to my JD4520 to counter heavy loads on the forks.  I have been putting on heavy implements as a counter weight but the loss of clearance can be bothersome.  So I have been contemplating building a weight box that would be somewhat smaller than the yard box, blade, or leveler.  There is of course another option.
I think the common wisdom (right there tells you it was not my first thought  :D ) is to use wheel weights.  I understand it is a safer option and puts the weight in a better position.
So I have some questions about wheel weights.
Are the weights split so a single person could install them? 
If it is not a one person job normally what have folks done to make it a one person job?
Any negatives to wheel weights?
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

jdtuttle

I have winshield washer fluid in my tires & I also have a weight I attach to my 3pt hitch. It's made from elevator counter weights that were discarded. Not familiar with the wheel weights though.
Jim
Have a great day

Reddog

Most weights are not split.
Load the tires first. Preferably with beat juice or windshield washer fluid.
We used a loader or a pipe by-pod to put them with one person.

Wally

isawlogs

I put windsheild washer in the tractor . Those tire weights are great, you have the dozer to lift them up and put in place so your bossette can put the bolts on .. right . ;D
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

beenthere

Robert
I like the ballast box that attaches to the iMatch... easy/quick to drop off and pick up as needed. I've the Deere one on mine.

If you go the wheel weights, once they are on, you likely wouldn't drop them off anytime. So if weight is always needed, or not in the way, the wheel weights would seem to be a good choice. With your ingenuity, getting them on won't be a problem.  :)

If inside the tire, the beet juice is the heaviest, even better than calcium chloride.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

pigman

Wheel weights are  better for stopping sideways turnovers, but the same weight further back would be better counter weight for loader. Tires can be fixed with wheel weights without removing the tires or weights. Tires with fluid take special pumps to change. Weight on the back has to be removed before using other equipment. I guess there is no real easy way to add counter weight. Just buy a bigger tractor that doesn't need counter weight. 8) :D
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Norm

Robert if you want to make a trip to Iowa I have one that came on my JD5000. It attaches to the 3pt hitch and is just a box that you can fill with sand or cement. I sold the tractor and still have the box out rusting behind my shed it's yours free if you want.

JV

Robert

The weights are a good option.  Calcium chloride fluid in the tires is a pain because
of rust and valve stem problems.  On a tractor that size, the wheel weights probably
run in the 50 to 80 pound range.  Best with two people, but if you have an engine
"cherry picker" you can lift them up to install.  They bolt on one at a time.  You can
use blocking and a bottle jack also. The problem with weight boxes is they are
always in the way and a pain to hook up by yourself especially for short time usage.
Just my personal observation although some may have good luck with them.
Without a quick hitch, I never seem to get positioned to hook up 3 point equipment
with less than two trips off the tractor.  The older you get and with advancing girth,
the fewer the trips you want to make.   :D
John

'05 Wood-mizer LT40HDG28-RA, Lucas 613 Swing Mill, Stihl 170, 260 Pro, 660, 084 w/56" Alaskan Mill, 041 w/Lewis Winch, Case 970 w/Farmi Winch, Case 850 Crawler Loader, Case 90XT Skidloader, Logrite tools

DanG

Quote from: JV on December 01, 2008, 12:42:13 PM
  The older you get and with advancing girth,

JV, it is interesting that you are the same age as I am, and you're noticing the exact same things. :D :D :D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

submarinesailor

OOW,

My buddy has a 4520 just like yours - eHydro and loader.  He had the tires filled with antifreeze at the JD dealer and he built a 1200 lb weight for the back.  Boy do they make a difference.  If you can, I would at lease fill the tires with something.   BTW - the dealer used a 50/50 mix.  Calcium chloride is heavier than antifreeze, but with antifreeze you don't have need the corrosion problem.

If you really want some weight on the back, put the JD backhoe on it.

bruce

Dom

We had a JD 1070 with loaded tires (calcium chloride) and had a rim rust. The wheel needed to be taken apart to install a tube. I didn't know antifreeze would prevent corrosion though.

On the new Kubota L5740, we installed wheel weights. It works good. We were 2 to install them, but with a engine hoist as mentioned earlier they should install easy.

The nice thing about wheel weights, or loaded tires is you always have that extra traction. Not all the attachments weight the same, so you guarantee yourself a bit of counterweight even with no attachment.

In my opinion you'll notice an improvement in the way the tractor works with more weight.

beenthere

Quote from: JV on December 01, 2008, 12:42:13 PM
Robert

.........The problem with weight boxes is they are
always in the way and a pain to hook up by yourself especially for short time usage.
Just my personal observation although some may have good luck with them.
Without a quick hitch, I never seem to get positioned to hook up 3 point equipment
with less than two trips off the tractor.  The older you get and with advancing girth,

JV
I agree...and with the quick hitch, never have to get off to drop the ballast box, or to pick it up. Especially after adding the hyd. top arm on the 3pt.  :)
Having this quick tach has meant that I always seem to have the ballast box on now, and it is like a safety helmet in the woods, chainsaw chaps, and seat belts in the car.....doesn't feel right without it.  And having the ballast box on when using the loader is probably the more important of all the other safety devices combined (chances are  :)  ).
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

mike_van

Not wanting to pay 1.00/lb years ago for wheel weights, I made my own. This was for an IH 300 with a loader. Piece of cardboard for a template against the wheel & mark the  4 holes. Transfered this to the top third of a 55 gal drum, marked the holes & used 10" bolts through the drum end, extending in 4" and out 6". Filled the third of drum with cement. Repeated for the other side. I don't know what they weighed, I needed a chainhoist to put 'em on. No more traction problems with the loader.  Your JD probably has a bigger wheel than the 12X28's I had, the drum end fit mine really well.
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

Tom

I have all four wheels loaded with water.  It works real good.  If the rear wheels start to come up when I lift a log or something, I just lean back in the seat.  ;D

pigman

Tom, do you have to put antifreese in the tires to raise the boiling point .. ;) :D
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Banjo picker

I put 50/50 water and antifreeze in the tires of my M7040 kubota that helped,but I built a metal frame that would hold a 2 ft x 2 ft sq piece of concrete about 3 ft high.  1800 lbs.

Back wheels don't come off the ground no more.  Put a cable or some sort of picking eye in the con. pill, and you can use the frame to carry goodies when not in use as a counter weight.  (chainsaws, gas ,oil , cooler  etc.) if you got something to lift it out.

Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

scsmith42

Robert, a buddy of mine has a slick setup on his tractor.  He took a 55 gallon drum, filled it with concrete, and attaches it to the 3 point hitch on back. 

He took an empty drum down to the local concrete plant, where they filled it for free with waste concrete leftover from job sites that they couldn't dump on the site. 

The drum has a steel pipe running though it, and on the outer ends a steel rod inserts through the pipe and into the lift arms.  Cast into the concrete at the top is a clevis for the top link.  The pipe is positioned so that the drum will set on the ground with the 3 point all the way down.

He built this thing out of his scrap pile, basically for free.  Can't beat that!

Scott
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Tom

Quote from: pigman on December 01, 2008, 08:37:31 PM
Tom, do you have to put antifreese in the tires to raise the boiling point .. ;) :D
Nah! anything over 212° doesn't make good coffee.  :P :)

Handy Andy

I bought a new 986 IH one time, the dealer recommended not to put liquid in the tires as it is hard on the gears in the rear end, so I called Abilene Machine, a tractor salvage yard, and they had some 1100 lb weights that fit on the inside of the wheels.  Big donuts.  I jacked the tractor up, loosened up the wheel, and slid it off the axle, and laid it down on its face, then put the weight on, bolted it with some 3/4" threaded rod, and stood the wheel back up and slid it back on the axle.  Tightened it up and moved to the other side.  Made a load of difference.  Funny how JD is reusing old model #s.  A 4520 built in about '72 was a monster of an old chunk of iron.  Guys use them for loader tractors in feed yards.
My name's Jim, I like wood.

Tom

What's the difference in loading the tires or hanging weights on the wheel?  I wouldn't think the gears would know the difference.

scsmith42

Tom, it's the distance from the axle that makes a difference.

From a counterweight perspective, 1000 lbs is 1000 lbs.  From a gearing perspective, the torque required to move 1000 lbs 48" away from the axle is much greater than the torque required to move 1000 lbs that is 18" away, hence the greater wear on the gearing.

Even though water turns inside the tires, there are is still some friction and loading involved.

Scott
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Tom

Hmmmm ah-h-h  lemme see now.   1945-(9)75%/89+_221 ciphered x 75#2@ is.... Yeah, see what you mean.... :P

Handy Andy

The water doesn't fill the entire space, so there is room for the water to move this way and that and it doesn't ride along smoothly, but kindof by jerks.  Causes the gears to wear not so evenly, eventually causing a failure.  The dealer said they had not one rear end go out on a tractor with cast iron weights, but had problems with those weighted by water.
My name's Jim, I like wood.

DanG

Also, the guy selling the weights doesn't have water rights. ::)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Haytrader

DanG,

There ya go cognitatin again.

;D
Haytrader

Kcwoodbutcher

I had wheel weights on my JD but finally took them off. They had to be removed every time I had a flat to get the tire off. I was getting to be a real pain. Since I took them off I haven't had a flat.
My job is to do everything nobody else felt like doing today

stonebroke

Handy andy I think he is talking about a new utlity tractor not the old big JD.

Stonebroke

OneWithWood

still cogitating on this  ---  going to look at the quick attach system at the Deere store .....
One With Wood

isawlogs

Well there you go .....  just need bring more gear and you'd be good to go .  :)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Gary_C

Most loader tractors around here, mine included have fluid (calcium chloride) in the tubes in the tires. Fluid is no longer used as much in tractors used for tillage because of the higher ground pressures, but it does give you more traction as well as counterbalance weight for front loaders. I think the only reason for rear end problems with weights or fluid is when it is used to increase traction and thus pull more in tillage applications.

But fluid does have to be installed properly to prevent problems. You have to make sure there is no air trapped between the tube and tire casing and make sure the tube is filled to the recommended level or you will have severe problems with tire hopping which can cause a loss of control at higher speeds.

Also if you are using the tractor in the woods or even as a loader, I strongly recommend you install complete valve stem protection. All large forestry equipment now comes with pipes welded on the rims with steel caps to protect the valve stems. I have knocked valve stems off three times on my loader tractor, only once in the woods before welding those 2 inch pipe stubs on. Especially important with fluid in the tires, but unfortunately can only be installed with the tire off the rim, that is unless you like the smell of burning rubber.  ::)

Those bolt on cast iron weights or similiar home made ones can also be used, but the ready made ones are not easy to find and have gotten very expensive. You should consider either fluid or weights to be a permanent part of the tractor as neither is easy to install.

One other thing to remember with moving heavy objects with a tractor loader. Always remember that all that weight of tractor, loader and what ever you are carying is being balanced on the front axle and tires of your loader. Be extremely cautious to not carry too high or drive over sloping or rough ground. Think of what could happen if you break a front axle or spindle or blow a tire.  :o
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

beenthere

Quote from: OneWithWood on December 02, 2008, 01:41:34 PM
still cogitating on this  ---  going to look at the quick attach system at the Deere store .....

Be very cautious...as it is one of those things one can't imagine being without.   ;D ;D
south central Wisconsin

Larry

Home made wheel weights.  Two circles of 5/8" steel bolted to the wheel.  I could always find all kinds of scrap circles at the junk yard.  I cut handholds in the center to make it easier to pull them off.  Little moon cut to clear the valve stem.  Each one weighs 60 pounds for a total of 240 pounds.

Tires are fully loaded with calcium...and sometimes I put axle weights on each side.  I don't know where you guys get that beet juice...I had a flat bout 6 months ago...when I asked em to change the calcium out to beet juice they thought I had been drinking some kind of juice. >:( :( :o ??? ;D

I made a weight box just like Scott described for another tractor but I like the wheel weights much better.

When I was farming in the loess hills of north Missouri everybody weighted the rear...than added a 1,000 or two on the front to keep that end down.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Reddog

dewwood

Robert,

I have a similar loader and have found using a quick attach hitch with a homemade weight bar to work very well.  It also leaves the tires without fluid(I have had several with fluid) which I feel is a better solution.  It means when you don't need or want the extra weight all you have to do is drop the weights, when necessary just back up to the weight bracket and lift then flip the two levers to lock in place.  If you are unfortunate enough to ever poke a tire in the woods you will be glad you do not have fluid in them as it is much easier to remove or work on a tire that is not loaded.  In summer the bush hog is my counter weight when I have it on but it only takes minutes to switch.  I will try to load a picture but not sure how well it will show the weight bracket.  It is a piece of I beam with some T slotted weights I bought at the junk yard, total weight is about 1500 lbs and is just about right with what the loader will pick up.  Best of luck. 

No luck with the picture and don't have time to mess with it right now.  It is in my gallery just can't seem to insert.

Selling hardwood lumber, doing some sawing and drying, growing the next generation of trees and enjoying the kids and grandkids.

james

dewood , is this the picture you wanted?

james ??? ???

OneWithWood

So I went to the Deere dealer to consult on various options.  The consensus is that wheel weights or fluid is basically a permanent fix and the wheel weights do not add enough weight. 
That IMatch bar somehow found its way into the back of my truck and came home with me... ::)

So now I am contemplating fabbing up  something I could attach to the bottom of the box seen here

I want at least 1500 pounds.  It will mean additional bracing on the box.  If I can't figure out how to get that much weight into a box beneath the box then I like Dewey's solution and will pursue that approach.

So what can I put into a steel container that measures approximately 18"x 48" x 14" tall?  If I can find weights at the junk yard, maybee I just need to build a rack to attach to the bottom of the box...hmmmm.  I bet Hootie would have just what I need.  :)
One With Wood

isawlogs

Robert , elevator weights would be a good thing. Pouring some concrete is another , ya could make a form and pour it into and under the box .....

Marcel

Gary_C

If you filled it with water it would hold 52 gallons and the water would weight 450 lbs. So you are going to need something three times as dense as water if it is completely filled.

Are you sure you need 1500 lbs?   :o
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

DanG

Come on down, Robert!  I'm sure we can scratch around at Hootie's place and find something. ;D

Meanwhile, just fill that box up with dirt and you'll probably find that it is enough.

dewwood

James,

Thanks for the help! :)  It does not show the weight bracket very well but it gives an idea of how it can be made up.

I had to leave this morning to go to my other job, I have been helping my neighbor who is a logger haul some logs to the mill.  Maybe I can get a job hauling the big stuff like you James.  Actually it is nice to be able to help him occasionally it keeps me in practice.
Selling hardwood lumber, doing some sawing and drying, growing the next generation of trees and enjoying the kids and grandkids.

Warbird

OWW:  Got any old small block engines laying around?  2 or 3 of those placed in that box would prolly do the trick if you really need that much weight.  You might have to take the heads off of them for them to fit in there.

ronwood

How about filling it up with small gravel from the quarry.

Ron
Sawing part time mostly urban logs -St. Louis/Warrenton, Mo.
LT40HG25 Woodmizer Sawmill
LX885 New Holland Skidsteer

Larry

What Marcel said "elevator weights".  Some of the scrap yards even save them out for farmers wanting front weights.  Check with demolition companies also.  Thata way you will still have room in the box to carry your lunch with ya. :)
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Thank You Sponsors!