iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tear out on Single cutter bits

Started by mmhailey, November 30, 2008, 11:48:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mmhailey

I built a Timber Frame structure as a partition wall these last few days.

I hadn't really noticed before the tear out that occurs when using an Irwin single cutter bit, but on this hemlock I am using it was BAD! When I drilled my holes for my Pins ( treenails etc;) the tear-out was atrocious. The back side wasn't  quite so bad, because when the screw came though, I back bored the holes.

Has anyone tried one of the WoodOwl bits? and do they work as advertised?\\

Thanks
Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, and turn him into a liar.

Jayson

What kind of wood are you working? I like the woodowl bits. Triple spur, pricey, and easy to bend(aluminum,I think). According to the task at hand they are clean cutting bits. I think drilling from both sides produces the best result regardless of the type of bit though. You have to be very careful during layout.

jayson

beenthere

Also, clamping a waste board on the back side for the bit to drill into, will reduce the tear out and splintering (if getting to the backside to drill back like Jayson mentions, isn't possible).

The project is looking good..at least you have something to lean on.  :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

moonhill

Irwin makes a bunch of bits.  I have not tried the triple cutter bits.  I like and use the standard double cutter bits, they have a side cutter which is the first to make contact after the feed screw, this cuts the end grain and the horizontal cutter lifts the chip up and is carried out by the twists.  On the mortice, score the ends with a knife or chisel.  The old boring machine bits don't have the side cutters on the bottom they are above  the horizontal cutters.  I would pay big bucks for a 2" with side cutters.

Tim 
This is a test, please stand by...

mmhailey

Thanks for the input.

Jayson: the wood I am using is Alaskan Hemlock.  It is called "Alaskan" I think to try and differentiate it from the softer varieties from down south.

Beenthere:  Great idea about clamping a board on. I knew that at some point in my life, but CRS kicked in.. ;D

Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, and turn him into a liar.

Jim_Rogers

When we bore holes through timbers for pegs we stop boring when the lead screw tip pokes through the back surface.
Then we turn the timber over and bore in from the other side.
But before we bore in; we turn the bit backwards or counter clockwise so that the wings of the bit will score the hole location. Once the hole has been scored we then turn the bit forwards or clockwise and bore out the hole.
We are using a bit and brace usually when boring peg holes:

Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Thank You Sponsors!