iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Visitor on the porch

Started by Onthesauk, November 30, 2008, 09:47:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Onthesauk

So I'm sitting here at the computer, about 6:20PM.  I hear what sounds like one of the cats scratching the glass on the french door next to me but something tells me I already let them both in earlier.  I glance over and here is a bear looking through the glass at me, about 3 foot away.  He looks at me, rubs his nose on the glass a bit more and ambles down the stairs and off into woods. 

Not a real big one, maybe 150lbs.  Has been hanging around the neighborhood all Fall but never this close before.  I hadn't seen him in awile, thought maybe he was down for the Winter but apparently not.

Caught a steelhead earlier today but gave it to a gal in town.  Rather glad I did.  I normally clean them at the other end of the porch and even after hosing everthing down am sure it leaves quite an odor.  Probably would have kept him hanging around.
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

Sprucegum

Even them small ones give ya a little "ZING" when they get that close don't they  ;)

Tom

Porch animals make a good story.  I've got a porch coon.  ;D

Radar67

And I thought my porch skunk was a danger.  :o
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

Warbird

I'd be careful with that situation and keep a loaded rifle close at hand.

Onthesauk

Tom, I debated about adding this story to your "Porch Coon" thread.

I had the Fish and Wildlife trap in the yard for a week in late Summer but he wouldn't get close to it, too much other food around I think.  May call them again.  Bait may bring him in now.
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

Jeff

Ya got 'im coming on the porch, all ya need is a little bacon grease and a lasso now.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

submarinesailor

Yes, I know all about bears on the pouch.  Here it is standing on an oak door I was building.

Bruce

Tom

The porch coon thread would be a good place for it.
I hear that coons and Bears are related someway.  :-\

They sure act a lot alike, 'cept bears are lots bigger. :D

Onthesauk

Fresh wet tracks at the top of the steps again tonight although didn't see him. 

Gives you pause when you go out to grab a fresh chunk of firewood about 10:00 at night.
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Tom

Your s'posed to wear little sleigh bells and carry some pepper spray when you go outside, I understand.  :P

DanG

Quote from: Onthesauk on December 01, 2008, 10:23:46 PM

Gives you pause when you go out to grab a fresh chunk of firewood about 10:00 at night.

I think I'd be creatin' a space for a night's firewood inside the house.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

beenthere

Prolly da bear knows when you need a piece of wood too.  ;D ;D ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SwampDonkey

And you guys were snickering when I mentioned the bears up here like to crawl in the camp out of the cold for the winter. :D

One guy last fall had one jump through the living room window and land on the couch with him. Actually, I think the casing and all landed in with him. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Tom

who stayed in the house the longest, him or the bear?

metalspinner

QuoteProlly da bear knows when you need a piece of wood too

That's the human trap. He's in the woods with his buddies just waiting to catch you in it. ;)
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

SwampDonkey

Tom, the bear realized who he was expected to room with and made a quick exit. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!