iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Are Husqvarna's coldblooded?

Started by dolittle, November 29, 2008, 05:03:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dolittle

I just purchased a Husqvarna 450e that is replacing a Jonsered that somehow was behind the tire of my tractor when I backed up.  I know I would never leave it there so it must of grown legs and moved itself to get out of the wind.  I am no pro and could not justify the $130. more for a 346xp when I only cut 3 cords to heat the house and am just starting to manage my woodlot, and on a very tight Soc. Sec. budget.  The Husky starts but bogs down when throttled.  I have to let it idle for 3-5 minutes before I can try to use it and then gently bring it up to speed.  My dealer who is reputable and suggested this model is Labonville and about 1.5 hrs from me so it's not a convenient return if this is normal as they say it is.   I can't imagine you pros having to wait that kind of valuable time not to mention the waste of fuel.  Before my Jonsered decided to hurt itself it would cut with little warm up time.  So, just this model coldblooded or is something not adjusted correctly?  Thanks for any help and no need to tell me I should of bought the pro.

thecfarm

dolittle,welcome to the forum.I have a 372 XP and have no problems with the cold weather at all.If you bought it new from a dealer,I would take it back.There is some sort of carb restrictor to keep the cold air out that I got with my saw.But I never use it all winter long.It's not that cold to bother yet,I would feel.. Which Labonville did you buy it from?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

dolittle

I talked to them in NH as they are dealers and they shipped it to the Farmington store where they are not selling dealers.  I can return it to Farmington (2.5 hr round trip) and they will ship back to NH on Thursday and it will come back a week  from that Thursday where I can make the 2.5 hr trip again.  Nothing is easy here and I'm not comfortable driving far.  I have been checking the maps and think I can drive to the NH store round trip in 4 hours and wait for the repair if that is what it needs.

beenthere

Sorry to hear of the problem..and the sneaky Jonsered.

A solution for this one, to keep it from sneaking under the tractor, might be a scabbard on the tractor. I really enjoy mine. Now a much safer place to put it, handy when needed, and with me most of the time.

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

dolittle

Yep, I am going to hang it on the back of the Farmi somehow.

Rocky_J

It sounds like the high end jet is too lean. On the carb there should be two adjustment screws side by side, one with an 'L' and one with an 'H'. There will be limiters on the screws to prevent turning them more than 3/4 of a turn. Turn the H screw counterclockwise 1/8-1/4 of a turn (if you have that much adjustment). That will give the carb a little bit more fuel so you don't have to keep messing with the choke and starving the motor.

The third screw labeled 'T' is your idle speed adjustment. That is simply a tapered screw that acts as a stop for the throttle lever. Screwing it in will increase the idle speed, backing it out will lower the idle speed. You may or may not need to adjust the idle speed after adjusting the carb.

SwedeJohn

Hello dolittle, sorry to hear you have problem with the new Husky, they shall have no problem with a little cold weather. Just wondered, can it be just a carb adjustment needed, with the low speed and the high speed adjusted to lean it can have a problem accelerating, can you check your manual on this.
Would be great if you could save the trip. Good luck anyway.  :)
Husqvarna 45,,,365 Special,,,NE346XPG,,, 335 Rx.

chugbug

Exactly as Rocky explained , sounds a little lean , you don't have to turn the screw very much to make a difference . Try the 1/8 turn first , if not enough try another 1/8 .

Beenthere , love the scabbard idea , I need a place for my saw to ride also , maybe would stop it from getting beat up riding on the cut wood in the trailer .

dolittle

Thanks for the info guys.  I will check it out tomorrow.  I had asked the dealer if there was something I could adjust and he said it took a special tool on that saw so I didn't pursue it.

ladylake

It's the low adjuster that needs to be turned out a little to get throttle responce off idle, pay attention to the high also.  Lots of new saws come to lean on both, all brands.  If you switch to gas with ethonal adjust a little richer also.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Kevin

Prior to any carb adjustment clean the air filter.
Do the new E saws have exposed carb adjustments?

logwalker

I agree with the low jet solution. Find the small screw marked L and turn it out slightly, 1/8th turn. Possibly needs the same with the H also. Welcome to the forum. Joe
Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

Rocky_J

It's possible that it could be the low jet that's too lean, but then if the low jet were lean then the saw wouldn't be capable of idling for several minutes unattended. Therefore I still think it's the main jet that is too lean.

ladylake

Rocky   Take one of your saws and turn the low in a little, it will still idle but when you pull the throttle it will die, then return it back to where it was. If you turn it in some and it doesn't die when you apply the throttle it was adjusted a little rich on the low. Then try turning it in a little further untill it dies and back out untill it revs good when you apply the throttle, thats where the low should be. Hesitation could also be caused by a plugged high speed circut or one set extremely lean, but in his describtion it runs OK after letting it warm up for a while which points towards a lean low circut.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

dolittle

The carb screws seem to be anti-tamper just as the dealer suggested and I don't think I have a tool that fits.  It is difficult to see way behind the plastic housing but looks like a pin with splines.  This saw does not even have 15 minutes on it and that was trying to get it running.  The air filter is spotless.  I think it is not adjusted properly as you guys have stated.

Tim L

My 372xp is a little cold blooded on the first start of the day and then its fine.
Do the best you can and don't look back

ladylake

Should be under warrenty, take it back to the dealer and have him adjust it and if that doesn't help ( some might pull the caps and adjust amd some might not) you might have mess the  caps.   Steve

Maineloggerkid

15 minutes ? Im no expert, but I would say thats sounds like a good job for the dealer.
JD 540D cable skidder, and 2 huskies- just right.   

Loggers- Saving the world from the wrath of trees!

John Mc

I have a related problem with a used Husky 357xp I recently got. I've been experimenting with settings, and getting some use out of a tach I bought recently. I was able to tune a Jonsered 2152 and a 2141 to run beautifully (thanks to the advice I got here on the Forestry Forum).

With the 357, I ended up with a "cold-blooded" saw, after my tuning: Once it's warmed up, it idles beautifully, and accelerates nicely. When it's cold, it doesn't seem to want to idle at all, and won't accelerate, even if I try to do it gently. Idle RPM with warm engine set at 2700, as per specifications. I'm betting I may need to richen the low speed mix a bit. I've been hesitating to do this, since things are working so well once it's warmed up. Does this sound like the way to go?

John Mc
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

dolittle

If I bring it back to the dealer I think I will get the 346xp instead.  Is this wise?

Rocky_J

dolittle

I received a tip that it's possible to slip a small piece of rubber tubing over the adjustment screw to turn it.  My tubing was a little large so off to the wood shop where I sanded a bevel on the end.  By the time I got it to fit after many tries the chainsaw was warmed up so I will try again in the morning.  Thanks for all the help.

Rocky_J

Why not use a small screwdriver?  ???

If you don't have one, you can make one by hitting the handle end of a chainsaw file with a hammer to flatten it down. ;)

dolittle

It is not a screwdriver adjustment.  It is a small shaft with fine splines along its edges.

Rocky_J

Must be a completely new design, as every carb on every saw, weedwhacker, blower, etc. I've seen in 30 years is adjusted with a screwdriver (with the exception of some fixed jet carbs without external adjustments). Is the carb a Walbro or Zama? I'm almost certain that it's a Zama since Husky dropped Walbros on most of their saws a few years ago.

Are you looking at the red and white limiter caps? They have a small screwdriver slot in them and the jet underneath also has a screwdriver slot.

dolittle

My manual says Zama and of course I know nothing about engines.  There are 3 holes in the side for idle and carb adjustment which is done at the factory.  The idle has a t slot but the L and H are tamper resistant.  Something new.

Rocky_J

The final carb adjustment should be done by the dealer. Different areas of the country with different elevations require different settings. Some dealers are better than others at setting up new saws. The limiter caps are designed to intimidate homeowners away from messing with the adjustments, they are not 'set and sealed at the factory'.

dolittle

I have been able to adjust the settings so it does not bog down or stall but it still has some hesitation.  I am somewhat disappointed with it and the dealer has been very good to deal with so I am returning it and getting a 346xpg and staying with the 18" bar.  He only has the 346xp in stock so it will take a week to get the xpg.  Thanks for all the help you guys have given me.  I am hoping I can absorb some of the knowledge on this site.

SawTroll

Quote from: Rocky_J on December 01, 2008, 02:14:52 PM
Yes and yes (IMO)  ;D

:D :D .....and yes again - the best 50cc saw out there, all things considered...... 8) 8)

..and the heated handles of the xpg are nice.... :)
Information collector.

grassfed

Does the saw have a small (aprox. 3/4"x3/4") metal plate that is used to block off air between the cylinder head and the carb?

I have an 262XP and an 575xpg both of these saws have this plate.

When it is hot the plate is left blocking a hole that has to be punched out of the top cover between the cylinder head spark plug area and the carb area.

When it is cold you remove the plate and slide it into another slot by the engine then hot air from the head warms the carb.

Your owners manual should describe this operation under the heading COLD WEATHER OPERATION...or a similar title. 

The plate works like a flap on a auto air cleaner only it in not automatic: you have to take it out at the beginning of winter and replace it when warmer weather returns.

My 575xpg is cold blooded but it improves somewhat with this setting.

Mike

ladylake

All new saws that might pass EPA specs are going to be cold blooded, lean as they can be and still run.   Steve

Thank You Sponsors!