iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cool demo job

Started by Ironwood, November 28, 2008, 08:42:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ironwood

This is a 1870-80's carriage house on a Monestary here in western Pa.. Most of the timbers pictured are white oak, sash sawn. The longest cords at the bottom of the truss assemblies are hewn (very well done) and are 36' in length. I am purchasing al of the sash sawn 2 x stock (rafters, joists etc...) the timbers are available. The advantage is the lack of excessive mortises from reuse as in old barns. I have a full listing of the dimensions. PM if interested. 

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

underdog

Wow.
Last night i was looking up: Trying to do 30' beams with mixed oak.
The little guide said it could not go farther than about 17' with oak.
If it where anywhere near me i would be interested in all the long stuff.
Nice pictures

WildDog

Good pics there Ironwood, sort of shame to see so much history and craftmanship knocked down, it wood be good to see some of the timber go into reproduction or repairs of similar age buildings.
If you start feeling "Blue" ...breath    JD 5510 86hp 4WD loader Lucas 827, Pair of Husky's 372xp, 261 & Stihl 029

Ironwood

Yeah, my thoughts exactly on the loss of the history. All of the parts where done done by the Fathers/ Brothers. The place was founded in 1846, in a few years 100 people lived/ worked there and by the 1880's it was 200. There is a cool gristmill that is preserved. The other REALLY nice thing about the timbers is NO powder post beetles AT ALL. As I have processed the various parts of the building I have hauled home it is neat to see where things were patched/ repaired and what have you. All of the sash sawn stuff is really nice, unlike your average country barn, much reverence was put forth in the work. The bricks were made "on site" and are of the typical German "soft" face and tend to just crumble when handled w/ machinery. There is lots of wrought iron in the structure as well, so I have been gathering that as well. Even the old harnesses and leather "fly" protectors (whatever they are called) where still up in the third floor of the tallest part of the building. The really fancy building (the Abby) was completed in 1905 by the Brothers, and they again did all the work. The wood shop has ALL the original equipment from that era as well, still usable, including a primitive straight-line rip (w/ tractor feed), and "automated" dove-tailer, and a planer w/ two vertical heads on the outfeed side to make flooring. Neat. Tomorrow the three story section comes down w/ EXCAVATOR, not hand disassembled. The facilities guy is on the demo guys to "get it down" even though they said they wanted it done right to save as much material as possible (lip service I suppose, they just finished their first LEED rated building on campus so doing the right thing was on their minds, but didn't last too long)  Look up the history, St Vincent College, Latrobe, Pa.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_Vincent_Archabbey

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

WildDog

Thanks for the info, good score on the wrought iron, :) should come in handy knowing your skill at the forge.
If you start feeling "Blue" ...breath    JD 5510 86hp 4WD loader Lucas 827, Pair of Husky's 372xp, 261 & Stihl 029

Thehardway

Holy Timbers Batman!! :D

There was some nice timber once upon a time in that neck of the woods.  I have roots in Western Pa.  What are the dimensions of the 36' peices?
Norwood LM2000 24HP w/28' bed, Hudson Oscar 18" 32' bed, Woodmaster 718 planer,  Kubota L185D, Stihl 029, Husqvarna 550XP

Ironwood

The 36' ers were almost 9" x 9", hewn w/ a skill that you could bearly see the hewing marks (the sign of skill).

I did save a bunch of wrought today, and the whole building (3 story portion) is now on the ground. Fortunately, none of the roof decking was chestnut, only pine and the sash sawn white oak floor joists weathered the "drop" fine. I did hand load most of them as the excavator cleaned them from the flooring/ decking, GORRILLA  >:(work as the skidloader left the site this morning. I was a little busy hustling around so I did not get as many pics as would have liked.

Ironwood

moonhill

Quote(lip service I suppose, they just finished their first LEED rated building on campus so doing the right thing was on their minds, but didn't last too long) 
        Ironwood
Ironwood, is it your opinion that the buildings were is such a state that they were totaled out,  or deserved to be taken down?  Could they have used them, with the proper repair work? 

You should be getting some LEED ratings in the use of these salvaged timber and iron. 

Tim
This is a test, please stand by...

Ironwood

Moonhill,

The roofs had leaked for some time and there where structural issues from this "deferred maintainence" ::). The "greenest" building is one that is already standing!

As far as me, well everything I have/ use/ own, is green. I do not claim to be a  "master" at much, except creative reuse. As I look around my place, there is one "human interest" story after another that begs to be told. My house, shop, machines, even lumber storage are case studies in reuse.

Ironwood

Ironwood

Here are a few final pics. I guess this is progress? ::) :'(. I didn't think of it until today, but the earliest pics show the true wrought iron barn door tracks 3" x 1/8" flat bar , 130-140 year exposed to the weather :o, STILL solid. I am going to reuse these as series of shelf units, the mounts that extend into the bricks are REALLY cool and will be a strut under the shelves. Look at that trailer load of sash sawn 2 x 10's (heavy load :o) I am SWIMMING in material that I need to get sticked stacked and sorted ;) I have it up off the ground on rail ties and tarped until I get the time to  "geterdone".

cheyenne

It's a crying shame to demolish something like that if it could have been put to use. I can think of plenty of uses as I'm sure everyone else can also. What was their reasoning for the tear down. Certainly wasn't because of taxes....Cheyenne
Home of the white buffalo

Ironwood

Needs change, building needed repair and it exceeded there interest to invest into it. They have destroyed some of their history, saved others. It is all about priorities (as with us all). In all I guess it made sense, the shame was, if the previous facilities guy had prioritized differently they could have at least saved the three story portion  w/ a fresh roof before the timbers in that portion rotted. I bought EVERY stick of 2x material (all sash sawn), and 75% of the 4/4 roof decking. Let's just say I have a "BIT" of sticking and stacking to catch up on.  ;D

Ironwood

woodhick

Well I'm glad you got to salvage some of it.  Hate to see some of these old buildings come down. Seems all we build anymore is steel buildings good for 20 years or so.  No class or style to the buildings we build anymore.   guess cost is the biggest factor.   Now I need to ask about a term you've used several times that I have never heard.  what is   sash sawn?  Thanks.
Woodmizer LT40 Super 42hp Kubota, and more heavy iron woodworking equipment than I have room for.

Jim_Rogers

Quote from: woodhick on December 10, 2008, 08:52:30 PM
what is   sash sawn? 

A sash saw is shown at this site.....
http://www.traditional-building.com/brochure/members/sashsawn.shtml

It is a sawmill that has a vertical blade that cuts wood by moving up and down, like a jig saw.
the frame that holds the saw blade is like a window sash.....somewhat.....

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Ironwood

Jim got it (of course), looks different than bandmilling if your good at seeing those kinda things. I actually have a antique sash saw blade, not an ice saw blade (they can be mistaken) it is the only one I have ever seen. Anyone else have one? seen one in person?

Ironwood

woodhick

makes sense.  I had never heard that term, had seen the saws but not heard the wood called that.   
Woodmizer LT40 Super 42hp Kubota, and more heavy iron woodworking equipment than I have room for.

thedeeredude

I've seen a working sash saw and have seen 3 or 4 blades rescued from mills, they're stored at a local museum.  The link below is to video I shot at the Daniel Boone Homestead in Birdsboro,PA(yeah, he was born in Pennsylvania :))

sash saw in action

Ironwood

Thanks for the link, I had never seen one in action and given your description of the original antique blades you do know of, they are as rare as I had thought.  That thing really requires a ton of water to make it run.

Thanks again, and WOW that feed rate must be on the slowest setting.

Ironwood

Thank You Sponsors!