iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New saw next season

Started by MyOutdoors, November 28, 2008, 06:01:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MyOutdoors

I'm new to the forum and love reading up on all the info.  I usually cut 8-10 cords a year and fell a few of my own trees.  I've owned a 98' Rancher 55 with a 18" bar for 10 years.  It's run like a top and this year it's starting to cough and show a little age.  I'm probably going to rebuild the top end just because I like to play with engines, but next season I'm going to upgrade to a bigger saw.  My grapple loads are starting to get bigger rounds and I'd like to cut a little faster.  What do you guys suggest?  I guess I'm kind of brand loyal now to Husky since it's given me 10 years of solid performance.  My buddy has a new rancher 455 and I was a little turned off by all the plastic.  Thanks in advance!

zackman1801

i would suggest stepping up to a 372 but that would just be me, if i wanted to cut fast thats what i would get. mabey  if you wanted to stay small you could get a 357 or 359 both are good saws and will cut well.
"Improvise, Adapt, OVERCOME!"
Husky 365sp 20" bar

okie

I understand brand loyalty and have a husqvarna saw myself and love it, but my next saw wont be a husky. The customer service has went south in a big way and warranties arent as good as they once were. I think my next saw will probably be a stihl or dolmar, more likely the latter.
Just my $.02
Striving to create a self sustaining homestead and lifestyle for my family and myself.

Maineloggerkid

357xp should fit the bill in your case. my freinds has one, and man does that thing scream.

He has an 18 inch bar, and he switched the drive sprocket to run the same size chain as larger displacement saws.
JD 540D cable skidder, and 2 huskies- just right.   

Loggers- Saving the world from the wrath of trees!

ladylake

I'd go for the 372 , the 357 will cut faster but not night and day difference like the 372. And if your not real brand loyal the 7900 Dolmar, same wieght as the 372 and cuts as fast as the 385xp.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Maineloggerkid

I like the 372xp, Ive owned 2 of them, but for a light weight saw, the 357xp is nice. If you want all out cutting speed, then I would definetly go for the 372, but the 357 is a light weight optoin.

MyOutdoors

I was leaning towards a 372 with at least a 20" bar or the dolmar 7900.

Maineloggerkid

I would go with the 372xp. I ran mine with a 20" bar and a skip chain with great results.

Red 93 L1 #3383

How big are your rounds?  20", 24", 30"...  This year I had about 10' of 32" Cottonwood in one of my trailer loads.  I get my wood at work ( I use the loader w/ grapple to load with )& I used our new Husq. 575xp w/ 32" bar to cut it just below the fork in the tree and that saw is a guttless wonder.  I couldn't what to get it home to use my Stihl 064.  Our older Forester prefers the 372xp over the 575xp but, the young dumb one who picked the 575xp thinks its the greatest saw to ever be made.  The older guy wished that they would have bought a Stihl MS660 to replace the old 064, not the Husq. 575xp.  Of coure the 575 is about 9cc smaller than the 064 & about 16cc smaller than the 660.  I like my Stihl MS 310 for smaller than 18" rounds other wise it's the 064 that gets fired up.
Stihl's: 2-064AV's, 020T, MS 310
'93 Ford F-150 Lightning, '94 F-150 4x4, '92 F-150 4x4 '80 F-150 EFI 7.5L, '04 Expedition (Wife's)

LorenB

Quote from: MyOutdoors on November 29, 2008, 07:28:08 AM
I was leaning towards a 372 with at least a 20" bar or the dolmar 7900.

MyOutdoors,

Consider that there are problems with a bar that is too long.  You should obviously get one that will do the job you need to do, but don't overdo it on bar length. 

My first chainsaw was one I inherited that came with a 28" bar.  Fortunately I didn't kill myself with all the kickback caused by hitting things with the bar tip that protruded another 14 " beyond the back of the 14" log I was cutting.  Also, I dulled many chains by cutting into the soil (or rocks) because I couldn't pay attention to where the bar tip was.  When I bought my Husky 272xp, I ordered it with a 20" bar.  I now have longer bars for the Husky, but that 20" is the one that gets used almost all the time. 

I don't have any experience with the newer Huskys, but if the 372 is like my 272, you won't be sorry if you get it.  The guy who sold me my 272xp said that it was the best saw that Husky ever made.  He was furious they quit making it, but I guess the environmentalists demanded something else.  (better?)

Loren
Loren
Baker 3667D portable sawmill, Cook's edger, Logrite arches & peaveys.  Husky 272XP chainsaw & two Echos.

Rocky_J

The 272 was replaced by the 371 about 10 years ago, which morphed into the 372. The 372 is arguably Husky's finest saw of all time. I have three, they wear 24" bars comfortably. I had a 28" on one until I picked up a new 395XP this summer to handle the real big wood.

ladylake

Quote from: Red 93 L1 #3383 on November 29, 2008, 10:26:05 AM
How big are your rounds?  20", 24", 30"...  This year I had about 10' of 32" Cottonwood in one of my trailer loads.  I get my wood at work ( I use the loader w/ grapple to load with )& I used our new Husq. 575xp w/ 32" bar to cut it just below the fork in the tree and that saw is a guttless wonder.  I couldn't what to get it home to use my Stihl 064.  Our older Forester prefers the 372xp over the 575xp but, the young dumb one who picked the 575xp thinks its the greatest saw to ever be made.  The older guy wished that they would have bought a Stihl MS660 to replace the old 064, not the Husq. 575xp.  Of coure the 575 is about 9cc smaller than the 064 & about 16cc smaller than the 660.  I like my Stihl MS 310 for smaller than 18" rounds other wise it's the 064 that gets fired up.

Is that 575 broke in yet, there was a hugh difference from when my 385xp was new to when it got broke in. I thought it was a dog at first also.  Also the 575 is more EPA compliant and most likely is set a little lean making it bog easy. Not fair comparing it to a 064 or 660, should be compared to a 440 or 441 or 460.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

rebocardo

Husky 372. I even know tree climbers that use them, not with a 28" bar though  :D

For the Husky, the 372 is very popular with the tree service crowd.

Red 93 L1 #3383

Quote from: ladylake on November 30, 2008, 05:17:58 AM

Is that 575 broke in yet, there was a hugh difference from when my 385xp was new to when it got broke in. I thought it was a dog at first also.  Also the 575 is more EPA compliant and most likely is set a little lean making it bog easy. Not fair comparing it to a 064 or 660, should be compared to a 440 or 441 or 460.   Steve

When I used the 575 it was about 10 months old and by the number of times I've had to sharpen chains for it, it's either broke in or the operated hits everything within reach of it's 32" bar including sidewalks and pavement.  Knowing the operator thats very likely as most of the trees that our ( Urban ) Forestry Dept. removes are on city boulevards.  The reason I compared it to the 064 is thats the saw the aboved mentioned operator chose to replace the 064.  He should have chose a 660 or 395 ( he's a Husq. guy, and our senior forester is a Stihl guy ) but he chose a saw slightly larger than the 372 to handle the really big stuff.  The Forestry Supervisor is to lazy / busy to research saws so he took the advise of the really lazy guy as to the best saw to cut large trees with.
Stihl's: 2-064AV's, 020T, MS 310
'93 Ford F-150 Lightning, '94 F-150 4x4, '92 F-150 4x4 '80 F-150 EFI 7.5L, '04 Expedition (Wife's)

MyOutdoors

Thanks for all the input.  I'm usually cutting anything from 6-28" rounds.  The 18" bar seems to be just a little too short 1/2 the time.  I think the 20" will fit the bill.  It makes sense not to go too long just to say you have a "big" saw...  Hitting dirt,kick back, etc.  I saw a 372 XP for $679?  Far price?

Maineloggerkid

Thats a good price, at least for my area. My local dealer asks $739 for the 372xp/

hornett22

372 all the way.they will run a 28" with skip chain all day no problem.get a 372xpw if you can.awesome saw.

if you are looking to replace the 55 rancher,i'd go with a 357xp or even a 346 xp new edition.also,the Stihl MS 361 is an awesome saw which will be replaced in the next year or so so get it now!

beenthere

Welcome to the forum hornett22.

Where do you get the Stihl info on the MS361?

Tell us more about your sawing experinces.  :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Kodiakmac

Check out Echo.  I took a leap of faith 5 years ago and got myself a CS510.  Utterly reliable and lightweight.  I've put down what seems like countless cords of firewood in that period - along with logs, posts and acres upon acres of scrub clearing - and this saw has never given me 1 moment of grief.  They have larger models now if you think you need to step up.  Give them a look. 
Robin Hood had it just about right:  as long as a man has family, friends, deer and beer...he needs very little government!
Kioti rx7320, Wallenstein fx110 winch, Echo CS510, Stihl MS362cm, Stihl 051AV, Wallenstein wx980  Mark 8:36

hornett22

Quote from: beenthere on December 01, 2008, 12:24:23 PM
Welcome to the forum hornett22.

Where do you get the Stihl info on the MS361?

Tell us more about your sawing experinces.  :)

go to the stihl website or a stihl dealer would be my guess.i sold the 361 last week.it is a great saw but i am to used to Huskies.i basically just bought it to try.i'd rather have a 357xp or 262xp again.it's all personal preference though.

i own a tree service and i cut and sell firewood.i have built,bought and sold many saws over the years.i think i know them well.i have 2 372xp,1 372xpw,1 385xp,a 346xp new edition,a 55 rancher,1 ms200t and 1 ms192t.i just sold an ms361 and a 395xp.

beenthere

hornett22
I guess I understand....you say you were guessing that the MS361 would be replaced in the next year. 
I didn't find that info on the Stihl site when I looked.   :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Reddog

Beenthere,

Most of the Stihl line is slated to be changed to strato charged engines by like 2010. The 441 will be the only one left unchanged in the pro line.
This comes from talking to the dealer I use. He just spent two weeks in Germany this fall for training.
EPA standards change in 2010 or 11.

Old_Hickory

I agree  with  the  372 xp it is one awesome saw,best saw I have ever used
gotta love those XP saws

timber tramp

"Most of the Stihl line is slated to be changed to strato charged engines"

What is a strato charged engine?
Cause every good story needs a villan!

Rocky_J

Strato charged means they pump extra air into the cylinder to make it burn hotter and more completely, resulting in lower emissions. Of course we all know that running a 2 cycle too hot will reduce life, but that isn't their concern. It's just a more stringent 'stage two' following the smaller carbs with the limiter caps on the adjustments and plugged up mufflers.

Thank You Sponsors!