iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Lets hear about everyones deer camps.

Started by semologger, November 27, 2008, 10:21:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

semologger

Title tells it all boys. How many beers. How many deers. How many 5ths. How many acres. Just about your camps.

beenthere

Deer camp was a tradition for me and then my boys, from 1963 until 1996. Land ownership changed and no-hunting/no-trespassing signs went up, even tho we still had 240 acres to hunt in our own ownership. But the hagling and "tricks" some jealous hunters played took a lot of fun out of the hunt.
But, the deer camp was a great tradition.
No alcolhol in camp was #1 rule. It was much like the language allowed on this forum...had to be fit for the kids there.
Friday night was the night to tell and re-tell the stories, check on each others' gear, and new guns (or old).
Sat. morning was get up at 3 am, eat breakfast (I cooked for all... eggs, pancakes, bacon, and had juice and cold cereal, coffee and milk.
Left cabin at 5:30 for 1/2 mile truck tailgait ride, then hiked in 1-1/2 mile to stands. Arrive at stands at 6:00 am, re-dress (off with sweaty clothes and on with all dry clothes, which at -15° was an event in itself). Stayed on stand all day, and left at 4 pm for the cabin. Deer were hauled in a two-wheel cart, similar to a rickshaw-type. Could haul up to 4 deer in one trip.
Back at cabin, told the stories, usually ate large caseroles, coffee, milk and once in a while some ice-cream showed for the cake for dessert. Sharpened knives, and re-packed for next day. Bed around 9 pm. Up again at 3 am. AND, oh yes, there was snoring like you couldn't believe...from all the other guys. ;D ;D
No electric in camp, and used coleman lanterns. Slept 8 comfortably but sometimes would accomodate 10. But had to get up earlier when there were 10.
Feel most fortunate that my two boys were able to hunt at that camp for about 6 years, beginning at 12.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Radar67

Alcohol is the reason I am no longer a member of any deer camp, it just doesn't mix with guns and hunting in my book.

I have 20 acres of my own land and it draws in game, so I hunt there when I go.
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

WildDog

You guys sure do it in style :), I like the idea of a hunting camp with some modern conveniences, unfortunately my hunting camps are usually pretty basic just a swag and some tucker, with the exception of the occassional shearers quarters. I have 700 acres on my farm and look after 150,000 acres at work soon to double, spread over varying country from flat to mountainous with 1 tenth carrying deer the rest has pigs, goats, wilddogs, brumbies, some scrub cattle. I am fortunate with my job as it involves advising and regulating pest animals on private lands which gives me access to more hunting range than I cound shoot on in 10 lifetimes....there's gotta be some perks  ;)cause the wage isn't one :(. I get most enjoyment hunting when my boys are with me, these are great times, the problem now is they like bowhunting and where i used to think I was pretty good at stalking nowdays the boys say "Wait here dad, you make too much noice". ??? ???

QuoteAlcohol is the reason I am no longer a member of any deer camp, it just doesn't mix with guns and hunting in my book.
I agree Radar.................. Now fishing camps thats a different story, we tend to let our hair down a bit and more than a few ales are sunk beside the campfire at the end of the day and maybe before the fire on the river bank;D
If you start feeling "Blue" ...breath    JD 5510 86hp 4WD loader Lucas 827, Pair of Husky's 372xp, 261 & Stihl 029

semologger

Ive been at camps with dad since i was around 10. We used to have some big camps all the kin folk and all kinds of friends. Man i used to love hearing some of the stories the old timers used to tell. Had some great times. Now days i have broke away from the family and made a new camp of my own you could say. I have a friend that has around a 500 acres farm and last year i got him to start a camp up. It was just me him and one other guy his nephew.  I stayed in an old slide in camper i bought for 150 dollars and sold for the same. We had no electric or water. the nephew slept on the ground next to the fire. land owner made a nice office in the barn. we had a basic camp. This year we upgraded we have electric water a kitchen.we had a full time chef and he can cook. Its the landowners brother. I got a 28 foot camper. the first friday we had 15 at camp. And yes there was alot of drinking. Most of the guys around here think deer season is a holiday. Which it is for me. Schools let out for it. All though most didnt come to hunt the just came to drink. There was only 3 of us that hunted well mainly 2 me and the land owner. I think we are off to a great start on our camp and are planning on putting food plots next year. I dont think we will have alot of people hunting we just have alot of company. I like having that much land to hunt to myself. If someone wants to hunt i put them were i want to put them. I save all the good places for myself. We only put down 3 deer this year. Last year we had 7. I tryied to wait and get a wall mount this year and never did. I think next year i will put down my meat first then trophy hunt.

Jeff

I would never hunt at a camp that has a preoccupation with drinking. I dont fish that way either. Deer camps that drink are not deer camps, they are drinking camps with deer hunting used as the excuse for the drinking. I'm not talking having a beer or two, I'm talking about when your worries are greater about whether there is enough beer instead of weather you have any bullets for your gun.

Our camp is mostly always family with the exception of a very few special friends that have open invitations. At our camp we eat sleep and hunt and that's about it. Its all about being in the woods doing what we love to do. Getting a deer or a bear happens on occasion, but for the last ten years due to harsh winters and canine predation out deer population is very low, however, we hunt here because its where we belong.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

semologger

well we have a great party a few days. I guess you could say it is a drinking camp for some. its just how most are around here. Most dont worry about the hunting just the week of vacation most guys take for season. When else do you get be around friends and family to visit and play cards, sit by the fire and tell stories. It only comes around once a year and most make all they can of it. I do.

bedway

Last night the wife and myself were watching tv when the phone rings. She answers it and after a brief time says, i think you have the wrong number. When she said hello the caller says, Hey Larry (you ---holes left the beer and whiskey at the shooting range)! We looked at each other and just shook our heads. We live in a small county in northwest pa. that is noted for its hunting and fishing. The influx of so called hunters,,partyers,, really gets out of hand at times. It amazes me people come here and do all kinds of things they surely wouldnt want done where they live. Shooting off firearms all hours of the day and night. ATVs and motor bikes ridden anywhere and anytime they want. Yes, they do spend money and help our local economy, but youd swear they disengage their brains when they come to camp. Im an archery hunter myself and some of these nuts up here with firearms make me real nervous!

ErikC

Here's a few pictures of my favorite deer camp. I guide hunters and set up several similar camps according to time of season, but this one is where I go the last week. The only person who ever goes with me here is my wife. There is a pretty easy pack on horses and plenty of grass to feed them.
  There are 2 other camps about a mile away, and we all have known each other for years. Its like being in a neighborhood, go visit around, play cards drink a little of each others whiskey, etc. We all set up for at least 5 or 6 days and really have a good time. Almost always great hunting as well.

Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

SwampDonkey

Dad was never one to hunt much. He would go with us kids to grandfather's trailer or friend's camp and hunt grouse. That's all I hunted to. This grandfather is mom's dad. He hunted and had a paying sporting business all his life. In summer it turned to fishing, using the same camps and people came from all over the globe. My grandfather and his brother started the business in their teens, 14 and 16 and followed in their father's and great uncles' foot steps. Grandfather build 6 camps, if I recall. I stayed in 4 of them and they still stand today. The original two are gone now and no one knows "exactly" where they stood because at the time their were just trails and tote roads through the woods where they were built. When it came to drinking, I don't think there were too many rules imposed because my uncle often commented that with all the alcohol around the camps it's a wonder my grandfather wasn't an alcoholic. But he wasn't at all. He hated beer and about the strongest I ever seen him swallow was a table spoon of Brandy in 1/2 cup of hot water before heading to bed. He had one guide though, that got mouthy when drinking and would talk all night. If grandmother had to make a trip to the guide lodgings, things quieted down right quick, I'll tell yas. Oh, and grandmother was the camp cook besides the camp boss with the loudest voice. ;)  :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

semologger

ya its funny how one woman can make a bunch of men back down in a hurry. I am just a beer drinker myself. I have never liked the hard stuff. Erik nice camp you have there. I bet its nice to get away from everything in a camp like that.

Bedway i hate it when people dont take care about their mess they make. The still need to be respectfull of the land and the other people around them.

Weekend_Sawyer

Our camp was started in 1947. A couple of guys back from the war wanted some property to hunt on. In the eastern panhandle of West Virginia they found a nice place, little over 100 acres and built a small cabin. It's a mile and a quarter off the paved road so no electricity. It has been added onto 3 times and now sports indoor plumbing, gas stove, fridge and lights. We have a strict no alcahol policy. We go there to hunt not to drink. My brother and I are now the caretakers, we are very proud of this status that we inhereted from Dad. We are close friends with the neighbors and have unlimited access to 500 + acres. I own 45 acres on one side of this land and it truley is heven.

Many years ago the old guys were almost feuding with some of the neighbors. About 3 years ago my brother Chris went to each surrounding cabin and basically told them that the old generation was gone and we would like to start fresh on a friendly basis. Now we visit and are visited by the neighbors with handshakes and smiles.
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Norm

Now that's a deer camp to be proud of Jon. :)

Thank You Sponsors!