iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Any D & L Swingblade owners wanting to share tips and problem solve?

Started by wdncno, November 27, 2008, 09:29:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wdncno

I have a D & L Swingblade. It's a bit of a lonely world and I was wondering about what other's problems and solutions are.

DanG

Welcome to the forum. :)  The only other member/owner that I'm aware of is Oldsawdust.  He's located in N. Ga. and has had his a couple of years. He doesn't post often, but if you send him a message he might perk up a little. ;)  In fact, I'll go ahead and send him one myself, so he'll know you're here.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Oldsawdust

Welcome To the forum, I have a Ten inch D&L and Love it . So if you have A Question I have already done it the wrong way so, ask away 8) 8) 8) Because you are new to the forum, wear your boots the sawdust can get deep. :D :D :D
Help-I'am new at this

wdncno

Thanks for the welcome folks. This seems like a really friendly site!

Oldsawdust

Which mill do you have and what part of the country do you live.
Help-I'am new at this

wdncno

I have a 10"stainless mill with three dogging clamps and 30 hp Kohler.  I found the stock track system too slow to set up and the mill too heavy to load onto my truck, so I built a heavy track 3 x 6 x .250 wall rectangular tube, on wheels which the carraige sits and travels on.  Cuts just over 20 foot logs, and a simple extension extends this to 26 feet.  I can break camp in about 1/2 an hour and setup takes about the same time.  The mill has rough 2 x 6 cedar decking with 1 1/2" spaces between much like a hay wagon rack.  A lot of the sawdust falls through, but I still sweep every 2 or 3 logs, still not a lot of fun in the snow- have to get the shed built!  The wheels and fenders (torsion axles) remove easily and the mill can be setup on the ground, but I haven't had to do this yet; I just crank up six jacks and level it up.  The log dogs are bolted to the frame cross members so that if you flip a cant your blade is always parallel to the cut and it allows me to get a really nice slab out of any log.  I have ordered a centrifugal clutch fom BLM because I don't like to start and stop the engine with everything turning, particularly in the cold we get here; and I don't think all the shaking can be good for the expensive bits, gear lash etc.  The clutch will have a slighly smaller pulley as well, to bring down the blade speed to a more optimal range without having to back off engine rpms to under 3000.  All of this is costing quite a bit, but I think the results will be worth it.

I am in central Ontario- Canada

Thank You Sponsors!