iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Log loader crane death

Started by Kevin, November 26, 2008, 09:05:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin

The Kane County coroner's court, in Illinois, ruled last week that the failure of a home made log loading crane that killed its owner and designer was an accident.

The man Jeffrey Gring, 54, owner of JMG Tree Company, died when the boom of the crane broke loose, knocked him out of the operator's seat and landed on him.

The accident occurred in Campton Hills, near Chicago, on September 19th, Geng was said to had died almost instantly.

Gring's sister, speaking at the inquest said he was an "inventor-type" who had laboured over the crane, which was mounted to one of his trucks "He absolutely loved this piece of machinery and was always making stuff and trying to find a better way to do something."

http://www.vertikal.net/en/stories.php?id=7068

beenthere

Sorry to hear that, and in the picture it looks like several others around it at the time the pic was taken, that could have been killed when the boom broke away. A seat belt might have kept him out of harms way.

Hope it doesn't deter others from inventing things on their own, or that anything home-built needs OSHA's approval. Hopefully, but not so likely.  ::) ::)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

underdog

We hold these truths to be self evident that all men are created equal that they are endowed by their creater to certain unalienable right, that among these are, life liberty and the persuit of happiness.
None of us are getting out of here Alive.

DanG

Quote from: underdog on November 26, 2008, 10:56:40 AM
We hold these truths to be self evident that all men are created equal that they are endowed by their creater to certain unalienable right, that among these are, life liberty and the persuit of happiness.
None of us are getting out of here Alive.

A paragraph of truth there, Underdog.  It's a shame that the third of the listed rights took the first one away, though.  Y'all be careful out there.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

rebocardo

I imagine engineers that design boom equipment and cranes earn $100,000+ a year for a reason. There are a few reasons why people make $30+ an hour welding heavy equipment, have to be certified, and have their own professional work x-rayed on critical areas. This might be another one of those reasons.  >:(

imho, Anything involving tree work and lifting should have a cage to protect the operator. At least no one else died.

KyMasterLogger

i cant blame the guy for making his own equipment (i made my own log trailer, mounted my boom to 3 differrent trucks, and made 2 log beds for tandem trucks.), but a truck mounted knuckleboom is not very expensive.  it may have been a freak accident (they do happen) or a poor design, but evidently he had enough faith in it to use it!

submarinesailor

When I looked at the picture the first thing I noticed were the 3 kids (looks to be kids) in the area where he was lifting the log.

NEVER, NEVER, NEVER have children in a work area of this type while a lift of any kind is going on.

Bruce

DanG

Roger that, Bruce!  A few years ago, I was helping a buddy load some big pine logs on his trailer to bring to the mill.  His five year old Grandson came from under the trailer and ran directly under a log that was being lifted with tongs.  It scared the bejeebers out of me, and I gave the kid a good stern lecture right on the spot.  His Grandpa started to get his back up a little bit until I told him what the kid had done.  After he learned the facts, he thanked me and put the youngen in the truck.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Gary_C

Some things like overhead lifting equipment would be best left to experienced designers. And even then things can still go wrong.

When I am loading large logs with my forwarder and have to rotate the log while holding it away from the bunk, as I see the end rotate by the window of the cab I realize that if the hydraulic hose responsible for holding the outer boom away breaks at that instant, that log is going to be like a pile driver coming thru the thick lexan windows of the cab and carry me out the other side.  :o

One of the safety features on those log loaders is the carefully calculated relief valve settings on each of the hydraulic circuits. On many loaders the relief valves are what prevents failures and tip overs. Even then faulty welds and fatigue in joints can be fatal. And some people like to raise the relief valve setting to lift more.  ::)

Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

DanG

Gary, your post makes a good case for having the operator's station located away from the business end of the equipment.  Steel hydraulic lines running along the frame are relatively cheap.  It wouldn't work out for all equipment, but should be considered wherever possible.  One of the things I like about my Milemarker winch is that long cord on the remote control.  It sure keeps me out of the danger zones. :)

Gary_C

Yes, but visibility and speed trumps safety for remote operators location.

I do not like those center mounted trailer loaders for many reasons other than safety. But having the operators seat right in the center of that load area makes for very fast loading times, although it is not the safest place to sit. I can't come close to the same speed when sitting alongside of the trailer in the forwarder, for one thing I cannot see the far side of the load on the trailer when it is near full.

The easiest method to have speed, visibility, and safety is to have a well protected cab that is elevated above the action. That is not easy nor cheap to do, though. So the next best thing is to set the relief valve on the main lift cylinder so you cannot exceed the max safe lift capacity. Chances are on this home made loader, the relief valve for the lift circuit was set at the maximum pump pressure. Course having faulity welds is not smart either.

One of the many dangers of these loaders is losing sight of how much you are actually lifting. You find out when you are off the machine and there is some 4 inch log in your way and you decide to just kick it out of your way. Even with steel toed shoes it is a painful reminder of the weight you are lifting.  ;D

Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

barbender

Gary, I agree with you on the center mounts. I'm on one daily and find myself wishing for some sort of protection. Especially if you are offloading onto tall piles, that wood can fall right on top of you if it slips out of the bucket. I'm amazed really, that you don't hear of more fella's getting hurt on them. Most center mount injuries are from falling off of the ladder.
Too many irons in the fire

Thank You Sponsors!