iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stihl 024 Woodboss

Started by timber tramp, November 26, 2008, 12:33:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

timber tramp

Does anyone have any information about a Stihl 024 Woodboss? I have heard of an 028 Woodboss but not an 024. This is my first post so thanks for bearing with me.
Cause every good story needs a villan!

Rocky_J

I had one 15 years ago. I seem to remember that it was a good little saw. Got swiped out of the back of my truck one day and I replaced it with an 025. The 024 was a better saw.

Kevin

timber tramp;
What information were you looking for on the 024?
Do you know what the letters are following the model 024, as in 024AVE?
There were at least six models or variations of the 024.

timber tramp

The metal plate on top of the air cleaner cover says 024AV then under that it says Woodboss. I was wondering if the cylinder and piston for an 026 would bolt on, looking through Bailey's catalog and many parts seem to interchange with the026/MS260 saws. Same muffler and clutch anyway. There's a 2mm difference in piston diameter, with the 026/MS260 being larger and I was thinking that for around $120.00 I could "big bore" the little saw.

Kevin

The 024AVE,AVEQ,AVEQW have a 1.65" bore and 1.18" stroke.

The 024AVSE,AVSEQ,AVSEQW have a 1.65" bore and 1.26" stroke.

The 026AVEQZ has 1.73" bore and a 1.26" stroke.

timber tramp

stonebroke

I have a 024 woodboss. Nice little saw. I think it is the smallest pro saw made by stihl.

Stonebroke

timber tramp

So far I'm very satisfied with mine too, don't really know a bunch about it though. Picked it up at a garage sale for $35.00, replaced fuel line & filter, spark plug, fresh gas, and a bunch of cleaning. Got it running, so far so good. I used it quite a bit in August and September cutting this winters firewood, seemed to hold its own pretty well, even going head to head with the bigger saws, atleast in smaller wood.

stonebroke

Smaller wood is where it shines.
Stonebroke

SawTroll

Quote from: stonebroke on November 26, 2008, 01:55:01 PM
I have a 024 woodboss. Nice little saw. I think it is the smallest pro saw made by stihl.

Stonebroke

Thbe MS200 is the smallest rear handle one....
Information collector.

isawlogs

Would that be in saw size or in engin cc size ??? 
Inquiring mind needs would like to know .  :)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

stonebroke

I think the ms200 is classed as a arborist saw but you are right arborist are pros too.

Stonebroke

TexasTimbers

I have a 024 AVS Woodboss. Cuttin little bugger. I need to do some maintenance on it but is in great shape otherwise.
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

timber tramp

Quote from: Kevin on November 26, 2008, 12:46:57 PM
The 024AVE,AVEQ,AVEQW have a 1.65" bore and 1.18" stroke.

The 024AVSE,AVSEQ,AVSEQW have a 1.65" bore and 1.26" stroke.

The 026AVEQZ has 1.73" bore and a 1.26" stroke.
Where on the saw will I find the lettering, i.e. AVE,AVEQ,etc...?

Kevin

timber tramp

Thanks for your E-mail and your interest in STIHL products.The serial number you provided does not come up in my system.This just means the unit was not registered when new.024 Wood Boss is the model of this saw.The 024 was produced from 1982-1994.This saw makes 2.6HP from 41.6ccs.This saw is recommended for bars from 16-20" long.I hope this helps and if I can be of any further assistance, please letme know.

This is the e-mail I recieved from Stihl, does anyone know the displacement of the different 024 models? I think it's funny that I got more info faster on this forum than I did from Stihl. Thanks for your help guys.

Thank You Sponsors!