iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Handy things around the kitchen

Started by ohsoloco, November 24, 2008, 11:14:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ohsoloco

"Handy things around the mill" has seen a lot of attention in the sawmill board, so I thought I'd start one for the kitchen. 

For years I've been meaning to get a board scraper (basically a flat piece of metal with a wooden handle along one edge), but just never got around to it.  A few weeks ago Denise broke the stainless steel spatula we use quite a bit.  The little tack welds gave away and the handle came off.  About a week later she asked me if there was a reason that I have the "head" of the spatula in the kitchen drawer.  Yep, it's my new board scraper.  It works great for transferring chopped veggies and whatnot from the cutting board to the frying pan or pot.  Even used it yesterday to scrape all of the cake residue from the baking pan so washing it will be much easier  :)  Glad I resisted the urge to toss that thing in the scrap bucket  :D 

So, what do you have in the kitchen that you just wouldn't want to get along without  ???  Our food saver is a big'un too  8)

beenthere

Quote from: ohsoloco on November 24, 2008, 11:14:37 AM
............So, what do you have in the kitchen that you just wouldn't want to get along without  ???  ............

My dear wife. 8)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

zopi

Nothing which has a single use...except the coffee pot.

Good, cheap knives. I buy the Tramontina restaurant knifes from Sam's Klub....

I like those pans too..

and of course my Dutch ovens.
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

okie

2 words....FRY DADDY.
Give me a fry daddy and a smoker and I could live off my own cookin. Take them away and I would starve ;D
Striving to create a self sustaining homestead and lifestyle for my family and myself.

ohsoloco

Zopi, there's more than one use for a coffee pot  ;)  Back in college when I was living in the dorm I lived on the third floor, and there was only one kitchen, which was on the ground floor.  I used to run water through a cycle, then pour it into my cup'o'noodles, put the lid back on, and let them steep for a couple minutes....instant snack  ;D  We weren't supposed to have coffee pots in our rooms, but I couldn't survive without it  :)

DanG

I have one of those heavy-duty spatulas like a restaurant cook would use.  It is really handy and practically indestructible.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

zopi

Quote from: ohsoloco on November 25, 2008, 10:22:47 AM
Zopi, there's more than one use for a coffee pot  ;)  Back in college when I was living in the dorm I lived on the third floor, and there was only one kitchen, which was on the ground floor.  I used to run water through a cycle, then pour it into my cup'o'noodles, put the lid back on, and let them steep for a couple minutes....instant snack  ;D  We weren't supposed to have coffee pots in our rooms, but I couldn't survive without it  :)

yeah...and you can make grilled cheese with a non-stick iron too...I liberated a big BUNN-O-MATIC for my kitchen...takes my coffee seriously...

I used to have a fry daddy...but it wasn't versatile enough, and it's one more bloody pain to clean..I do all my frying either on the fryer outside or in a shallow pot in the house..it's tough to make enough fries for my rugrats, even in the big frydaddy...easy in a 10 QT dutch oven though.
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

fstedy

A good mandolin makes short work of those tedious slicing and dicing chores. I have a Borner "V" Slicer and its not to expensive and works very nice. A ceramic knife is also a nice addition to your kitchen tools.
Timberking B-20   Retired and enjoying every minute of it.
Former occupations Electrical Lineman, Airline Pilot, Owner operator of Machine Shop, Slot Machine Technician and Sawmill Operator.
I know its a long story!!!

Norm

One of the newer tools I have for the kitchen is a digital thermometer. Really takes he guess work out of when the meat will be done. My son got me one that's got a remote receiver. Don't even have to go outside to check it on these cold days.

Jeff

A good supply of Gallon Storage bags.  I use them for all kinds of things other then storage. Mixing is a big one. Great for mixing dry ingredients.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

SwampDonkey

A good sharp pearing knife for feeling vegetables.

Stainless steel coffee pot, I won't drink from those plastic poison drip contraptions.

A good hand operated can opener that breaks the can seal, not the cutter type. The electric ones are useless.

EZ Wrap Cellophane dispenser.

Food chopper

A good quality non stick fry pan, T-Fal is a good brand, but there are different grades. Might as well buy a good one to begin with. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

SwampDonkey

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

zopi

Good hard maple cutting boards...or big ol' butcher blocks...

Wifey wants me to build her an outdoor canning kitchen...big propane burners and deep sinks..
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

WildDog

I searched for years untill I found a heavy duty self clearing garlic crusher that could handle 4 to 5 cloves, I say could because a couple of weeks back my son thought he'd crush a Macadamia nut in the shell and punched the shell straight through the screen. :(

Nicky recently bought some large pizza stones to cook Pizza's on in the oven, these are great for a crispy base.
If you start feeling "Blue" ...breath    JD 5510 86hp 4WD loader Lucas 827, Pair of Husky's 372xp, 261 & Stihl 029

Thank You Sponsors!