iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

fire starters

Started by timberfaller390, November 24, 2008, 10:27:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

timberfaller390

Any of yall got a good recipe for homade fire starter "logs" made out of saw dust. They will be for use in a fire place and stove.
L.M. Reese Co. Land Management Contractors
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

Warbird

Can't help you with the question but can offer one small piece of advice.  You probably already know this but don't use fire starters that contain accelerants in a stove with a catalytic converter.  It will damage it.

timberfaller390

The stove is pretty old. It's in my grandpaws basement, no converter. I just don't like paying 20 bucks for a box of fire starters when I have all this saw dust laying around.
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

sprucebunny

Throw some sawdust in and light it with a propane torch.
I go thru 2 one pound cans a year lighting my woodstove a couple times a day.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

ohsoloco

It's not sawdust related, but ya gots any old candles ???  A few years ago someone told me they make fire starters by dipping open pine cones in melted wax  :P  Perhaps you could even use it sparingly as a binder/fuel for the sawdust and make some pucks.  Use an old tuna can or something for a mold....just thinking out loud here  :D

isawlogs

I mix in a little diesel with the sawdust .. goes a long way and sure lights up easy .
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

SwampDonkey

In the shop I just shovel some shavings in the "empty" stove, place my wood on top, open the damper and draft, strike a match and place the match at the draft where there are some loose shavings and poof. I got a fire. Once burning good after about 10 minutes I shut damper and draft down so the flames are less violent. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

okie

Cat food can, or any other low profile can filled with sawdust and saturated with kerosene or diesel. The dust kind of acts like a wick and will burn for a long time, remove can from ashes with tongs and you can reuse but only 2 or 3 times then the can is no account due to the heat breaking it down. We do this when we are burning green wood and it works real good.
Striving to create a self sustaining homestead and lifestyle for my family and myself.

timberfaller390

Some good ideas so far. I'm really trying to find some way to make the little sawdust "logs" you buy at the box stores. Not the 5# ones but just the little 2"x2"x6" ones
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

Warbird

Courtesy of google:  http://www.ehow.com/how_4477369_starter-logs-disks-recycled-items.html

Looks like you could do something along those lines (they mention using sawdust), just use a bigger can.

timberfaller390

Now thats what I'm talkin about. Thanks Warbird. I wasn't sure if they were molded or pressed
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

beenthere

Guess it depends on what items one has left-over to get rid of...if it is candles, sawdust, cardboard, paper, or whatever.

Myself, I have plenty of dry lumber cut-offs that I make kindling out of, and light the kindling with a match. Easy, quick, and effective. I have sawdust too, but less work to go the kindling route. After installing all the new windows this summer, plenty of kindling in the form of trim boards and cedar siding boards. But in winter, (and since about 2 weeks ago), the fire never goes out. Keep glowing coals at a minimum, and then just throw on some dry wood.

TF390
Let us know what recipe you use. Sounds like a project coming along.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SwampDonkey

Quote from: beenthere on November 24, 2008, 02:50:31 PM
But in winter, (and since about 2 weeks ago), the fire never goes out. Keep glowing coals at a minimum, and then just throw on some dry wood.

:D :D :D Yup, not even kindling is needed. I just bring some coals to the front near the draft and that's all that is required.   8)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Warbird

Quote from: beenthere on November 24, 2008, 02:50:31 PM
TF390
Let us know what recipe you use. Sounds like a project coming along.

Definitely let us know how things go.  Take pics, too!  As for a source of wax, you might be able to get some bulk stuff, used stuff, or whatever if you search around.

cheyenne

Vegtable oil, Drizzle it on set it off....Cheyenne
Home of the white buffalo

Don K

Living in GA I'm suprised that you don't have a fat litard stump somewhere handy. Best fire starter I've ever used. I dodn't know there was anything else until I got some age on me. I sad for the rest of the country when I heard they they had to use other means. I think DanG had some visitors one time that tried to tote off his stash.  :D

Don
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

zopi

Melt some paraffin in a double boiler, mix in dry sawdust, dump out on flat newspaper or butcher paper, roll into a log, and cut into disks...

put dryer lint into each pocket of a paper egg carton, pour wax in..let cool, break one off and light it..

can use sawdust in the egg cartons too...
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

pappy19

Quote from: isawlogs on November 24, 2008, 11:20:27 AM

I mix in a little diesel with the sawdust .. goes a long way and sure lights up easy .

This is the best that I have found. Just keep it in an old bucket off to the side of the fireplace or whatever. It isn't so volatile that it will explode so it works great as a fire starter. When I had a fire place and wood stove, it worked like a champ; cheap and easy.
2008 F-250 V-10
2007 Lincoln LT
1996 Ford Bronco
Kubota 900 RTV
Shindiawa fan

Corley5

Some bits of tarpaper or shingles mixed with dry bark slivers and sawdust ignited with a propane torch works for me  :) :)  Doesn't take much of the roofing material to get everything else going and it holds a hot fire long enough to get bigger wood burning
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Sunfield Hardwood

I'll second the egg carton sawdust and wax system, they work great, kids of friends whom we camp with made a bunch and gave them to us at christmas last year with a note that said "we're looking forward to many more happy campfires with you guys" even an old grump like me was kinda touched. P.S, I think they stuck a piece of candle wick in there to.
2 international log trucks,woodmizer LT40 Super hyd, cat 910 frontloader, case 1845 skidloader,new holland 4x4 tracter with farmi whinch, lots of stihl saws, waiting to retire so I can spend even more time logging and sawing, yip-yip-yahoo

SwampDonkey

You guys work too hard. Sawdust, air, match, poof. Simple,no work, no petroleum. :D :D

zopi

Quote from: SwampDonkey on November 24, 2008, 09:47:35 PM
You guys work too hard. Sawdust, air, match, poof. Simple,no work, no petroleum. :D :D

THIS from Mr E+MC Sqwared=SYP shrinkage? :D
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

tyb525

White Birch bark works great. Even burns when wet.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Ron Wenrich

I just use the Sunday paper and some dry kindling.  It works every time.  What kind of fire are you guys building that you need things like torches and tar paper?
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

isawlogs

Ron .. Might be to dry the wood prior to its ignition ...  ;D
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Thank You Sponsors!