iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

fire starters

Started by timberfaller390, November 24, 2008, 10:27:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lanier_Lurker

Yep, us folks in the deep southeast just keep a batch of fatwood handy.  There ain't no substitute for it.

One time in my life have I been faced with the task of starting a fire in a fireplace without fatwood.  I was in Park City, Utah at a hotel/convention center - and the rooms had fireplaces in them.  The wood they supplied was similar in density and character to yellow poplar - but I have no idea what it was.  Anyway, we were able to get it going without too much effort with wadded up newspaper.  But, it took some fiddling - and was much more time consuming that using a small stick of fatwood. 

rebocardo

I take pine 2x4s (not pressure treated) left over from building projects and such, shove some paper in there, light them, then toss on the hardwoods once it is burning well.

When I am cutting firewood, I save the curls, from halving rounds, into barrels and use that to start a fire. Just a match is all it takes.

Wood shavings from cabinet works (maple) works well too.

My wife brings home packing sheets they use to ship cartons of paper, it is cardboard about 1/8" thick and really dense, we get those started with paper and they burn super hot. One time I put too much in and had to cool my black pipe with a floor fan and shut the flue. Once they all lit it sounded like a jet engine and the stove got extremely hot, I think it cured the paint  :D

WH_Conley

Grew up on corn cobs soaked in kerosene or diesel. Not many cobs anymore so I use cattails in a coffee can with a little diesel. Got good kindling around, just to onrey to go get it  I guess. :D
Bill

SwampDonkey

Quote from: rebocardo on December 03, 2008, 02:53:41 PM
One time I put too much in and had to cool my black pipe with a floor fan and shut the flue. Once they all lit it sounded like a jet engine and the stove got extremely hot, I think it cured the paint  :D

You can do that with hardwood planer shavings to. It'll turn the stove pipe red hot around the damper by times if you leave her full open with the draft open to. But, I don't do that. I close everything down after 10 minutes, fire with hardwood chunks lasts a long time. Need door open or I'd melt, even in -20 F weather, the cold air is a welcome relief. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

brdmkr

Quote from: SwampDonkey on December 03, 2008, 08:24:59 PM

You can do that with hardwood planer shavings to. It'll turn the stove pipe red hot around the damper by times if you leave her full open with the draft open to. But, I don't do that. I close everything down after 10 minutes, fire with hardwood chunks lasts a long time. Need door open or I'd melt, even in -20 F weather, the cold air is a welcome relief. :D

This reminds me of a time I had to go on a trip.  We heated with wood, so I made sure that I had brought in plenty for my wife to make a fire while I was away.  When I got home several days later, I noticed the candles on the wall were bent at 90 degree angles and they were 15 feet or so from the wood stove!  She had gotten it so hot in the house the candles melted!  We have a heat pump now :D
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

katie-did

Around here we use the Paper Egg Cartons.
   I take left over candles or the wax from my tart warmer and I even watch garage sales for really cheap candles. Two summers ago and got several bug candles in a FREE box at a sale.
   I made my own double boiler out of an old juice can in a pot of hot water. (then I don't have to worry about cleaning it) I melt the wax and then add the saw dust (Planner shavings work much better then the fine dust from saws) to the wax so I can get a little dryer result then spoon it out into the egg carton and pack it down.
   I like this method because we have a lot of kilning with Part-Timer having a swing mill. But a friend uses a Paper cup because they just start their fire wood the paper cup give you a bigger starter so you get a longer burn. I have also heard that shredded newspaper works well too if you do not have saw dust but I do not think that anyone on here is lacking in saw dust.
   Over the years I have found that I much prefer Soy Wax it is just much better to work with.
   The paper cup method it really nice for gift giving because you have buy decorative cups. I normally buy the cups after the holiday for the next year. They make a cheap gift that is loved by anyone that builds fires and you can make them up way before the holiday.
Part Timer's Boss & CFO smiley_angel01_halo

Raider Bill

Is "fatwood" the same as lighter knot?

If it is I love it! ;D

The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Lanier_Lurker

Quote from: Raider Bill on December 04, 2008, 04:28:55 PM
Is "fatwood" the same as lighter knot?

If it is I love it! ;D

Yep, it shore is.

Warbird

timberfaller390, you made any firestarter logs yet?  If so, how did it turn out?

IMERC

Quote from: Corley5 on November 26, 2008, 07:18:36 AM
I save the garbage and have an old bale of hay on hand for when the wind is blowing toward the neighbor's.  I'm one of the bad outdoor boiler people  :)  A friend and his son were on their way to my house one morning and followed the plume of black smoke from the styrofoam packing from the new TV.  A hot fire in a woodstove is the absolute best way to dispose of diapers.  Much better than a landfill :) :)

you can't be serious...
you got a scrubber on that stack????
Who ever invented work didn't know how to fish.... Here fishy fishy....

Corley5

Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

IMERC

Who ever invented work didn't know how to fish.... Here fishy fishy....

timberfaller390

Quote from: Warbird on December 05, 2008, 10:23:43 AM
timberfaller390, you made any firestarter logs yet?  If so, how did it turn out?
Haven't had time to sh@t, spit or swaller. But as soon as I get some together I'll let yall know how it goes.
L.M. Reese Co. Land Management Contractors
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

Thank You Sponsors!