iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pex crimp tool

Started by chugbug, November 23, 2008, 06:34:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chugbug

I'm trynig to find out if the Pexcaliper crimp tool is a Quality tool , has anyone used one , here's a link to the tool .

http://cgi.ebay.com/PEXcaliber-Multi-Head-1-Kit-Pex-Crimper-Crimping-Tool_W0QQitemZ110314977416QQcategoryZ53287QQcmdZViewItem

zopi

Ive got one just about identical...no complaints...and I will never use PVC or copper again.
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Radar67

Forget the crimpers, use the reusable push on fittings called Shark Bite.  ;)
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

zopi

Quote from: Radar67 on November 23, 2008, 07:51:10 PM
Forget the crimpers, use the reusable push on fittings called Shark Bite.  ;)

I like those...for emergency repairs..in fact the lube tube on my mill is done in PEX with Sharkbites...but four bux and up like a kite is a bit pricey...I can get three or four fittings to the price of one for the crimp fittings...and I have alot of plumbing to do...did the whole house in a couple days...it got bad, I was putting patches on patches...
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

DR_Buck

This is the one I bought.  It was less than $100 and works fine.  It's a real sturdy heavy duty tool and will crimp all common sizes.

Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

chugbug

Dr. Buck , Thats the tool I'm thinking about getting , where did you get yours ?? And does it seem like a quality tool ??

DR_Buck

Quote from: chugbug on November 24, 2008, 04:51:58 PM
Dr. Buck , Thats the tool I'm thinking about getting , where did you get yours ?? And does it seem like a quality tool ??

I got it from the link above .  smiley_headscratch
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

zopi

Quote from: DR_Buck on November 24, 2008, 09:13:51 PM
Quote from: chugbug on November 24, 2008, 04:51:58 PM

I got it from the link above .  smiley_headscratch
:D
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

OneWithWood

Here are the pex crimp tools I bought.  Both are available at Menard's

The handled tool is for 1/2" pipe and fittings, cost around $90, and does not have a changeable crimper.
The other tool is for 1" pipe and fittings, cost around $20.
I bought the 1/2 tool first and did not want to spend the extra dollars to get the one with changeable crimpers.  At the time I did not have a need for the 1" size.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

JSNH

I use the propex fittings and a pro pex expander. The tool is not cheep but boy does it work great. 1/2" is a breeze 1" is a work out. If you are doing alot of it you may want to be aware of that type. Expand, slide on to fitting, turn on water 30 seconds done.

http://www.pexsupply.com/video/PEXConnections.asp

above for video on different pex systems.

chipsfly09

I have used a 3/4 Zurin Pex tool to install my OWB-- very  happy with it-- I wish, however, I had the tool for multiple sizes-- and the shorter handles are less awkyard--.  I would also recommend investing in the crimp removal tool-- much easier to remove crimp rings than hacksaw or diagonal cutting pliers

Don_Papenburg

I use Kytec fittings and the wrenches that are already in my tool box.
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Corley5

Our heat systems are all done with Kitec compression fittings that use O-rings.  I haven't had any trouble with mine yet but Dad and Grandma's will leak after a while and need to be tightened.  Some of Dad's had to be taken a part and new O-rings installed.  Nothing is hidden in the walls or any other inaccesible place so it's something easily monitored.  I'd never use that style again especially where the plumbing was going to be in walls or floors.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Don_Papenburg

I am going on 9years on the first Kitec install with no problems so far.
The article did not give any timeframe for leaks to happen. 
All of my kitec fittings have a ferrel that compresses the outside of the tube very much like a ferrel on soft copper .  the other thing is the tube should fit the fitting tight without the Oring . The Oring is just for added insurance ,IMO 
I also have some kitec knockoffs  from FarmTec  ,They seem to be OK. 
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

Thank You Sponsors!