iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Boiled Peanuts

Started by Mooseherder, November 22, 2008, 08:35:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mooseherder

In this case, Crock Pot Peanuts.   :)
I made them about a month ago and they were some good.
Put a little more heat to em this time. ;D
They'll take a long day before they are just right.

SwampDonkey

What does it do to them Mooseherder. Soften them like a baked bean?
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SwampDonkey

I was going to say, I love peanuts, but they don't agree with me too good. You sure got enough salt products there chum. ;)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

pineywoods

Quote from: SwampDonkey on November 22, 2008, 08:47:21 PM
What does it do to them Mooseherder. Soften them like a baked bean?

It just RUINS um !!!!! I like them raw....
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

zopi

mmmmm...boiled p-nutz...me likey!

I like em right off the trailer in the drying shed too...
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Mooseherder

My problem is I never met a Peanut I didn't like. :D
I'll eat them any way as long as their available. ;D
Boiled is just to mix it up some.  They're good and soft and fun to throw shells in a firepit while having conversation. ;)

Last recipe was salt, Cayenne and worstershire.  I added a few ingredients this time but didn't use but a fraction of the amount of salt a normal recipe calls for.

SwampDonkey

Oh! your doing it with the shells on. That's a mess.  :D :D

Mooseherder

They have been on low all night and are about 50% done.  I just bumped it up to high so they will be ready this afternoon. ;)

Mooseherder

They're getting there.  ;D
I just tried about 30 of them to make sure. :D
It's reducing well and should be ready in a couple hours.

beenthere

What's the preparation after the boiling (crock pot treatment) is done?

Looks like the peanut is still in the shell.  All eaten together, or shucked first?

Dried, then shucked, then eaten?

On another note, is that a coffepot spigot in the background?
Sorry for being so nosy... ;D
::) ::) ::)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

scgargoyle

I like to throw a handful of garlic cloves in with mine, too. The missus likes the garlic better than the p-nuts!
I hope my ship comes in before the dock rots!

Corley5

Those look good  8) 8) 8)  I wish I liked boiled peanuts  :(  I've tried ever since I was a little fella visiting my Grandparents in Fl.  Grandpa told me they weren't any good but I didn't believe him.  I didn't like them.  I tried a few years later as a teenager and still couldn't develop a taste for them.  I tried again as a young adult and they were even Cajun flavored and still didn't like them.  The 1st time Dee and I went to Fl together I tried them again as she was interested too and we didn't like them.  That was the last time.  I figure Zach and his little brother are gonna wanna try them someday and I'll try again too.  I hope they like em  :) ;D  But I do like grits  ;) ;D ;D 
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Mooseherder

Quote from: beenthere on November 23, 2008, 01:26:57 PM
What's the preparation after the boiling (crock pot treatment) is done?

Looks like the peanut is still in the shell.  All eaten together, or shucked first?

Dried, then shucked, then eaten?

On another note, is that a coffepot spigot in the background?
Sorry for being so nosy... ;D
::) ::) ::)

You peel and eat them while hot.  I got the FirePit all ready and hot to sit around and throw shells into. ;)
I suppose some folks might like to eat or shuck on the shells but I don't.

That spigot in the background is Drinking water because our well water is undrinkable. :(
We also have a jug in the Fridge.  That one is for the dogs and Coffee, etc.

I tried Grits again last week in Tennessee...........yup, still didn't really taste like anything. :D ;D

Mooseherder

Here is the finished product and they taste good. :)
Took almost 24 hours. :D

SwampDonkey

It's still going to take some convincing chum.  :D ;)

Polly

8) 8)   polly got some in south carolina and she loves them someone please put the resipee on this and i will tell her thanks :)

bd354

we just boil the pnuts in a fish cooker with no seasoning until the nut is soft and add salt after turning off the heat. i was always told the nuts would absorb very little salt or whatever while they were cooking. let them sit for a while in the salty water, the longer they sit the saltier they get.

Don K

A fella I work with did a batch in a big pressure cooker. Didn't take long at all he said and really drove the flavor home. I tried one, it was good. Might be alot faster than a crockpot.

Don
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

WDH

I boil them in a big pot on the fish cooker outside.  Takes about 4 hours.  Mmmm, good. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

bd354

yeah, i've seen a pressure cooker used before and it really cuts down on cooking time. we cooked some unsoaked dried lima beans in a pot with plywood for a lid and a brick on top. amazing what a little pressure will do. didn't take long compared to what it usually takes.

DanG

If you can boil water, you can boil peanuts.  Just put the peanuts in the water. ::) :D  Dump a bunch of salt in there with them.

Like most things, fresh is best.  Around here, they are referred to as green peanuts, which just means they haven't been dried.  Most of the boiled peanuts you can buy "ready to eat" have been frozen, and are kinda black and mushy.  I don't care for them very much.  You won't have much luck trying to boil dry peanuts, either.

Usually, there are some "pops" in the batch.  Those are just immature nuts that haven't filled out yet, but the hulls are soft so you can eat the whole thing.  The hulls of mature ones are woody and inedible.

If you would call grits a "comfort food", then boiled peanuts would be a "comfort snack."  It is a pretty labor intensive way to eat, so enjoying them is more an activity than anything else.  It is a two-handed job, and your fingers get all messy, so you pretty much just eat peanuts when you're eating peanuts. :D :D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Don K

Ate a pound of em at every one of my stepson's football games this year. :)

Don
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

DanG

I was gonna post something about the peanuts at high school football games, but you beat me to it.  I haven't been to a game in years.  Do they still have those guys circulating in the stands with bags of peanuts?  They used to have a choice of boiled or parched.  Parched peanuts were just dried ones that were roasted in the hulls, and you ate them the same as boiled ones.  They went a lot quicker, because the shells were brittle and all ya had to do was mash them and the nuts would just fall out.  The taste is totally different, though.  Eating parched peanuts is like making your own peanut butter with your teeth. ;D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

WDH

I like them boiled better, but parched is good too.  My Dad used to parch them, and that brings back good memories.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

CLL

I lived in Alabama for 15 years, never could get used to boiled peanuts. They always reminded me of boiled okra, sort of slimey, like eating oysters! I don't eat anything I can't chew.
Too much work-not enough pay.

Thank You Sponsors!