iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What kind of Pine?

Started by Stephen1, November 22, 2008, 11:52:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stephen1

it seems I have latched on to a couple of tree services that would like to "recycle trees" or just not pay to take them to the dump, which is fine by me. It is just my time to go get these trees.
I have been offered these pines which the tree service is calling white pine, in my estimation they are scotch or red pine. The bark is almost orange. I will be able to get some nice logs out of the group, some are real junk but there are about 4 good size trees with about 30-40 feet of good log per tree.
1st ? what kind of pine are they?
Are they worth getting?
Is there an end use for scotch pine if that is what they are, can I use them in my timber frame garage I am going to Build?

IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

SwampDonkey

I can't tell much from the pictures. Are the needles short, like a couple inches? Then I would say Scots Pine, along with  orange bark. If the needles are quite long, then red pine. Some people think of pine as pine, not by species. Sometimes pine is spruce. :D

Never seen Scots used for anything here but Christmas trees and hedge rows. But, I would think they would be similar to red pine, they are grouped in the wood ID keys.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Stephen1

Thanks SD I realize I put this post in the wrong group.
Steve
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

SouthernVT LawnLogger

another good way to identify it is how the needles twist if they twist together it could be jack pine and if they twist away from each other there is a chance it is scotts pine

SouthernVT LawnLogger

i apoligize that saying is the other way around jack pine twist away from each other and scotch pine twist together. my mistake

Chuck White

Scotch Pine needles are around 2 inches long and Red Pine needles are anywhere from 4-6 inches long.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

york

the Red pine has,two needles in a clump about 4 in. long-around here RP goes for pulp-looks like the trees your looking at have live limbs down,most of the way and did not compete for sunlight-i would mess with them,but then that's my five cents...
Albert

backwoods sawyer

If this is a situation where you can pick and choose which logs you take, and which you leave it would be worth hauling off no mater which pine it is. I got ahold of some of the experimental pine BMK that was planted in this area some 30 years ago. It grew fast but was ugly. Cut the straight sections with small limbs for the mill and the rest goes to firewood. I used it to side a pig barn and it is holding up good. Just be a bit picky about what logs you go after. If you need extra strength just cut the lumber a bit over sized to compensate.
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

Thank You Sponsors!