iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

"Wanda" NOT DEAD ANY MORE

Started by ARKANSAWYER, November 21, 2008, 01:25:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ARKANSAWYER

Well she lasted almost 8 years and was close to 10,000 hours and 2.million bdft.  But this morning she blew a hole through her right hand head.  She had a good run in spite of all the misuse she has had over the years.  But I guess all good things must  come to an end.

New engine will be here next week and she will live again. but for now I am sad.   :'(
ARKANSAWYER

Roxie

:'(  Me too.  It's like we all know her. 
Say when

beenthere

May her engine rest in peace.

But a ripe old age, at that.

What has Roxie done to that poor dog?  ::) ::)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

zopi

Pull the other piston out and make a shift knob...

That kinda sux...just discovered a little oil leak on mine...that'll annoy me until i fix it..
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

ladylake

Ha, now I'll get to sell that plank fo $20.  What kind of engine is that and did it last 10000 hours with no work?     Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Bibbyman

Well,  if misery loves company,  our little Terex that could – that's been faithful until the 5 year warrantee ran out - busted this afternoon.  It broke pin that held the lower end of a cylinder yoke that lifts the boom.  It also broke through the hole in the frame where the pin goes through.  I don't know what failed first, the pin or the frame but they're both busted.

We rushed in to our local heavy implement dealer to see about getting it fixed.  They were happy to see us but said the only guy they had that could fix it was off deer hunting until Wednesday.  But he could get right on it - Wednesday.

We can hobble along with our AGCO 4660 but won't be able to unload large logs trucks or load bundles of lumber.

What engine are you getting?  Same as before or the 28hp version?
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Kevin_H.

Arky I did the 28hp FI upgrade and have had little problems with it, She will live again.  ;D
Got my WM lt40g24, Setworks and debarker in oct. '97, been sawing part time ever since, Moving logs with a bobcat.

underdog

You going to save the old motor as a memento?
Sorry about the Terex. Guess you will be looking for a first rate welder type?
All i can say is; at least you can see the problem and know its parameters.
My main, go to machine refuses to go to work.
The Backhoe (Case 580K) has been doing good.
About 2 weeks ago it sprang a leak in a hard line running up the boom.
Had to be the most expensive one. But i found it in stock, ordered it and got the plumbing on the boom all squared away.
So i decide to get some work done this week; Go out and get the backhoe running.
Man it has been cold. To me anyway.
I let it warm up a few minutes and start to take off.
Well it lags to start moving.
(been doing this for awhile first thing in the day).
Then it labors like i have it in a higher gear. (that's new).
So i grab the shifter and row around to one.
And then nothing.
No drive all gone.
I have checked a lot of things. Have a few more to go.
But that is odd. To loose all drive like that.
I cannot remember if i hit the clutch cut out switch. Probably did.
So if you go with the diagnostic theory of what was the last thing you messed with.
It has to be either the clutch cut out solenoid or the shifter.
The shifter seems to be functioning and i can feel it engaging a gear when i shift it at idle.
I do not know yet what the problem may be ......I need the testers to check hydraulic pressures.
Oh well at least I know now that I am not the only one to have a friend lying down on the job this week.

ARKANSAWYER

She had the 25 hp Kohler engine and it ran well to the end.   I will repalce the same since I need her back running most quick.  All I ever did was change the oil every three months and put in spark plugs every year.  Beat the air filter out about every other week and change the fuel filter when it looked dirty.  For the last year I have been on borrowed time and have been waiting for this day.  I was told to use Castor oil syntheic and it proved to give long life.
   Yesterday I spent all day sawing 30 ft 6x6's for a barn.  I was to cut 1x12x16's today and then some 6x12x20's and 6x8x20's for a timber frame.  Now I am gong to be behind till the engine comes in next week.  It is the pits to have 100 tons of good pine logs and you long cutter is down.  The LT 70 is good but will not cut the long stuff with it.

ROXIE,  LBJ said that, that is no way to treat a dog.
ARKANSAWYER

old joe

I feel so bad !!  I've been reading about your Wanda for years.  I'm going to think of this as a friend going for a heart transplant.  DR. Arky, heart surgeon
THE NEW YANKEE TIL A NEWER ONE ARRIVES THEN I\'LL BE THE OLD YANKEE

ladylake

Thats amazing life out of that Kohler, I had a little over 5000 on my 27hp Kohler when I transplanted a 28hp Isuzu diesel on it. The Kohler was still runnig good and didn't use oil but the Isuzu has way more power.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

woodmills1

Shhhhh quit talkin bout broken moter stuff, I still have 150 1x6x16 red oak boards to finish on an unexpected order.

anyway condolences on wanda she lasted nice

and lets have a whoahh for mizer stuff, cause man its the nuts :D :D :D :D
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

OneWithWood

Wanda will be back again, good as new.  Just give her a little time before you start chargin' hard to get through the back log  :D

Might want to change that light bulb while she's standing still. . . ;D
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Meadows Miller

Gday

Sorry to hear about Wanda Arky but after getting 10000 hrs  :o ;D out of the motor You won't know yourself when the new one goes on  ;) ;D If she still has the hand clutch on it you should use Zopi's idea and mout it on there and when ppl ask you about it you can say its from the first motor that did such a top job for you  ;) ;D :D  8)

Bibby sorry to see Lil Terry broke on you but you go gotta love gear that punches above its weight class  ;) ;D 8)

Reguards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

Chris Burchfield

Arky, you know why truck drivers never grow old? Thay always get a new Peter Built.  :D :D Don't worry, they do heart transplant all over the world these days. I'm sure your surgical skills are up to par. Have a safe and happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. Chris B.
Woodmizer LT40SH W/Command Control; 51HP Cat, Memphis TN.

ARKANSAWYER

Dead engine.

Wanda opened up.   :'(

The new engine out of the box.

The new engine bolted back in place    :)

The new engine had brought Wanda back to life.   8)  8)  8)  8)  8)

Cut a 6x12x20 first thing to get Wanda back up to speed.  The new engine has lots of power.  I just had not noticed how much she had gone down hill with all them hours.  WoodMizer got the engine out most quick and since it was a replace deal the thing just dropped in.  I had to reuse 6 bolts and two screws every thing else came in the box ready for install and go.   It took me about an hour and 15 min to do the swap and be sawing again.  All is right and well in in the Ozarks again.
ARKANSAWYER

woodmills1

James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

zopi

CLEAR!  BZZZT!  Beep......Beeep Beeep....

Cool....ya ought ta get th' old girl some new makeup...that shiny new engine is about like a boob job on my grandma.. :D
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Bibbyman

Good deal Arky!  Now, get to work!

I don't think our Terex repair is going to so easy.   :'(

This morning the equipment dealer brought out some old funky loader for us to use while they worked on our Terex.  We got the Terex loaded and he wanted to stand around talking.  He left about 10:00.  We went in about 11:30 to talk to the guy that was actually going to do the repairs.  He was "out to lunch".  Said he looked at it and was going to have to think about it for a while.  We did some things in town and came back around at 12:30 and he was still at lunch.  They said they could get it in and out in a day but it was past noon and nothing yet. 

The repair guy called about 1:30 and he'd come up with a plan and we talked it over as well as some other topics.  We agreed the repair was going to be a challenge due to the tight hole where the break is located. Said it'd more likely be Friday (tomorrow being Thanksgiving) before he gets it repaired and the other service work done we'd asked for.

Meanwhile,  Mary tried to run the old JCB loader they sent out.  It's real funky to drive because of the rear wheel steer.  It's about imposable to use moving logs because the forks are hinged at the top and not restrained – thus, no down pressure on the forks.  You put the forks on the ground and the points ride up.  You tip the forks to try to dig out a log and the forks just swing level.  It's like trying to wrestle with both arms numb.  It's big and wide and clumsy.  But Mary fought on.  She tried adding logs to a pile I started but it ended up a more like a haystack.  I got on the AGCO and straightened it out.  Then she started just bringing the logs to the sorting area and dumping them and I'd sort them into their best place. 

I had to laugh.  I said she looked like she was doing "The Funky Chicken".   smiley_turkey_dancing
Sawing since '94

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Meadows Miller

Gday

Arky i thought you might have noticed the sudden increase in POWER  :o :) motors seem to loose afew Horses over the years  ;) ;D Repowerd a Lucas once but we went from a flogged out 16 horse imean 13 ;) :D to a 24 honda and didnt know myself  ;) ;D 8) Its good to see Wanda back for round 2  mate
Quote from: zopi on November 26, 2008, 07:41:44 PM
CLEAR!  BZZZT!  Beep......Beeep Beeep....

Cool....ya ought ta get th' old girl some new makeup...that shiny new engine is about like a boob job on my grandma.. :D
;D

Zopi Ive said it b4  You crack me up mate  ;) :D :D ;D 8)

Reguards Chris

zopi

My mother dropped me alot...plus years of acting goofy...
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

bandmiller2

Arky,when and if things slow down this winter pull the old engine apart new or used head rings,valve grind,check bearings .Might not be a new one but could bail you out in the future.Remember if your ready for a problem it will never happen.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Meadows Miller

Gday

I second that Frank it would make a great docking saw motor  ;) ;D 8)

Chris

CLL

Arky, haven't been on much, so I missed Wanda's misfortune. Hope I didn't jinx you. Glad she is up and going again. Hope you had a good Gobble day.
Too much work-not enough pay.

ARKANSAWYER

The new engine does make the rest look pretty sad.  Wanda does has some scars and wear over the years.  It does run good.

I am looking for another scrapped 25 hp.  I will need a head.  I was told that they do not really have rebuild parts for them and what they do have is high priced.  I will look into it and see.
ARKANSAWYER

TexasTimbers

Glad to see she is swinging away again. Not inferring she is a swing mill, don't tell her I said that.

Any chance you could post a close-up of the head ???
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

OneWithWood

One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

ARKANSAWYER

No I did not replace the light bulb.  The building she is in has lights and power so we can saw at night.  Since she does not move any more I do not worry about them. 
ARKANSAWYER

olyman

arky--look on ebay for the head--and other parts--i see them on there every so often-----

beenthere

Quote from: Bibbyman on November 26, 2008, 08:49:55 PM
..........The repair guy called about 1:30 and he'd come up with a plan and we talked it over as well as some other topics.  We agreed the repair was going to be a challenge due to the tight hole where the break is located. Said it'd more likely be Friday (tomorrow being Thanksgiving) before he gets it repaired and the other service work done we'd asked for.

How'd the repair go?  What did they have to do, anything besides welding?

::) ::)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Bibbyman

Quote from: beenthere on December 06, 2008, 02:05:31 PM
Quote from: Bibbyman on November 26, 2008, 08:49:55 PM
..........The repair guy called about 1:30 and he'd come up with a plan and we talked it over as well as some other topics.  We agreed the repair was going to be a challenge due to the tight hole where the break is located. Said it'd more likely be Friday (tomorrow being Thanksgiving) before he gets it repaired and the other service work done we'd asked for.

How'd the repair go?  What did they have to do, anything besides welding?

::) ::)

It's back home and running fine. 

Check out this thread....

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,34485.0.html
Sawing since '94

beenthere

I did read that, but tells nothing about the repair needed.
It is ok if'n ya don't wanna talk about it... ;D
south central Wisconsin

Thank You Sponsors!