iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cuba

Started by Jeff, July 11, 2003, 04:47:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

I just saw on the news the pictures of a huge ship, the first commercial U.S. ship arriving in cuba in over 40 years. I have no opinion on this. What I found interesting was the cargo. Lumber and Paper.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Larry

What do you think they are going to bring back with them?
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Tom

That lumber came out of Jacksonville and is the subject of the story I told you about.  Lanahan Lumber got a contract for bunches of lumber and they were processing it while I was cutting that reclaimed SYP.

shopteacher

Hope they got paid first!
Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

johncinquo

That would be great to have it opened up again to the US.  I have always wanted to go there, and even started plans for the back door route through Mexico at one time for a vacation.  That was about the time the gov warned they would start enforcing the no travel rules so I let it slide.  My grandparents honeymooned there and I have the pics, as well as some bottles of flavored rum brought back. I tap into it once a year on their anniversary just for nostaglia sake.  I read an article not too long ago how we are still funneling money down there to help the economy as well as promote democratic ideas.  The main character of the article was a woman who was talking to the US people, collecting the cash, distributing it, recruiting people to help,. then in the end would turn over the people to the Cuban officials as traitors or sympathizers and they would get locked up.  Would still be a beautiful country to see.  I think I will hit puerto rico first unless they open Cuba up before.  
As far as exports/imports, I am all for it.  Why send cash through the back doors to try and help them when we can send stuff they really need.  As far what we get back, rum and cokes and maybe some lovely brides!
To be one, Ask one
Masons and Shriners

Tom

The problem I see with dealing with  communist country is that the government is the only entity that owns anything.  How do you deal with the general population when there is this big guy standing between you and them who says that he will handle everything. :-/

Communism is kinda like being on welfare in the USA except their punishment for Moonlighting is a little more severe.

Fabiola

I have been there, looooooooooooong time ago.
It is a nice country, nice people and some how, they do respect Fidel. And about have this commerce, the problem is not Cban government that do not allow the deals. It is USA/UN that forbedeen any deal!
Brasil do make commerce with then.
Fabíola Vieira
Forestry Engineer
Brasil

Tom

I find that people are generally "nice" most everywhere, Fabiola.  I disagree that the problem is not Fidel.   Fidel and communism have ruined the last 40+ years of cuban economic growth and also the relations with the USA.  

Fidel is a liar who used his charisma and falsehoods to garner the backing of a large contingency of the USA population when he was leading the rebellion against Batista.

I went to school with boys who were sent to this country to get them out of the conflict.  They all looked on Castro as a saviour until he claimed his allegiance to communism.  It caught the Cuban population as well as the USA unaware.

His alignment with the USSR put communism as well as our number-one enemy within 90 miles of our borders.  He has since been guilty of leading communist-oriented rebellions and unrest in the Caribbean, South American and Central American countries.  I believe now as I have since 1959 that the Cuban people were duped.

When you do business in the United States, you deal with a company.  You buy and sell products through that company and all who work for that company benefit by salary. Their Salaries can be used by them to buy what they want. An individual can work for, quit or own the company by his own actions.  That is what the United States is all about.  That is not what Fidel Castro or Communism is about.

If any fault is to be laid for the conditions in Cuba, Fidel Castro is responsible.

The lumber that was shipped from Jacksonville recently to Cuba, wasn't purchased by a free market.  

I wish the people of Cuba no ill will.  I feel sorry for the broken families.  It would be nice if there could be a Reunion of those left in Cuba with those who escaped. It's unfortunate that people are still trying to escape from Cuba.  I feel that on a personal level.

Reality is that communism is still one of the free world's greatest enemies.  It exists as a direct dichotomy to freedom as we know it.  To support the Cuban Government and its ideals would be a hypocritical act by a democratic government.

I'm not trying to get into a political argument and respect your opinion but, that is mine. :)

Fabiola

I do not want to make it apolitician speech at all. The fact is Fidel did a great job regard the social benefits. He did not choose a nice way to get there.
Cuba is NOT a enemy. Fidel belived in a better way to live in his country. Batista was not a good person and, and also people that do not support Fidel's government have this opinion.
The fact is I do not agree with this UN opinon of get into a country when they believe it is the best. Brasil did that with Paraguay long time ago. War is never the best solution. The diplomacy is my weapon. If UN call Fidel to talk realy to talk not to look nice at the picture, and if UN agree that not just the "rich counties" have the right to decide, I belive we, the world, could be much better.
Fabíola Vieira
Forestry Engineer
Brasil

Thank You Sponsors!